+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Speaker Itch To Scratch

I'm Andy.

Default Speaker Itch To Scratch

Hi Guys

I have a bit of an itch to scratch here ( no strange medical condition jokes please ).

So let me explain my predicament which is regarding speakers;

I am pretty happy with my gear and I am currently using Dali Skyline 2000 speakers which I have owned for nearly 11 Years now. The Dali’s are a ribbon Di-Pole with a 38” Ribbon for the HF, 2 of 6” midrange drivers and a 15” bass driver, will drop some images below when I get the camera sorted. I am just having thoughts of something new, the only ones I think I would realistically go for are the VMPS RM30m.

Now my question is taking into account I like ribbon drivers but don’t wish to go down the Quad route and not too sure regarding the Martin Logan route etc, what other alternatives would it be worth my while checking out that I may have overlooked before I do anything too serious. Floor standers are my obvious choice and stand mounts would be fine too.

Cheers for any input guys,

Andy - SDDW
    HV Electrical Engineer - SAF (Sustainable Aviation Fuel) Plant

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Well, being an ex-MartinLogan owner I'd advise not to go down that route. They're amazing speakers but unless you're going to buy some supertweeters as well I think you'd find them quite rolled off in the upper frequencies, particularly in view of your current speakers.

Personally I would get in touch with Robson Acoustics (they're web link is in the Links Box), Rob makes some amazing speakers all with positively staggeringly good ribbon tweeters. He's a friendly chap and very knowledgeable and I think his stuff may be right down your alley, particularly the Burlingtons.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I'm ILOB.

The VMPS RM30m are really nice you could always speak to Howard at Stereonow about the Frobisher & Gleeson have not heard them but Howard rates them high and he knows his stuff.
    I listen to them both if I could before purschase
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm InSpace.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    Well, being an ex-MartinLogan owner I'd advise not to go down that route. They're amazing speakers but unless you're going to buy some supertweeters as well I think you'd find them quite rolled off in the upper frequencies, particularly in view of your current speakers.
    See those things on top of Andy's Dali's?.... Guess wot they are!
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm BigBobJoylove.

LOL! Oh yeah, never noticed them! in that case Andy, give some MLs a whirl.

Atacama SE24 stands

I'm Andy.

Hi Guys

Cheers for the replies, you have both Filterlab and John suggested a speaker that I have not considered because I don't know anything about them at all. I will have to do some research on them and see where that takes me. This is what I love about the forum, someone will always have come across a product that you have never heard of before, this is going to turn out to be fun

Thanks again guys

Andy - SDDW

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Nay problem.

The Martin Logan hybrids have imaging and midrange that belies belief! I found the treble to be a little limited but with super tweeters that area is covered. One thing they can do (and contrary to popular belief) is really rock very hard indeed. I had the Aeons which had a maximum input limit of 200wrms and a peak input limit of 500wrms! Plus they look amazing!

Pictured at various times:

...and with a pair of Townsend's finest.

Atacama SE24 stands

I'm Andy.

Hi Filterlab

Nice pics of the Logans, they seem to be fairly close to the rear wall, do they work well in that position or is it an optical illusion I am seeing, I seem to have the impression they need space all round them to work well. Part of my thoughts for the VMPS were they are designed to work close to the rear wall, which is where I would prefer them to be. I need to recover some of my louge space, which would be a nice.

Thinking about it though I have heard Logans in the past I have never listened to them and sensed they can rock, if memory serves me right they have been geerally played with either Classical or Jazz type styles. If they rock as you say they could be a very real contender.

Cheers for that, my little brain cell ( singular ) is now on overload.

Andy - SDDW

I'm Neil.

Default Speaker suggestion

Try to have a listen to Anthony Gallo Ref3.1.

I use a pair so I am a bit biased. The lack of any traditional cabinet means there is no distortion/resonance to muddy the sound(box colorations). So they are a bit like Electro-statics in that respect. The treble is handled by a cdt film tweeter, extension is very good. Bass for the size of cabinet is amazingly good.

The usual hi-fi things are also very good,imaging etc. They are fairly easy to drive but I would suggest about 50 watts if valves and same if solid state. However they do respond to more power and a good tight/damping. So an amp with slow or loose bass would not be ideal.

Worth a listen. Let me know what you think.

Regards D S D L
    Last edited by Spectral Morn; 29-12-2008 at 09:06.

I'm Steve.

I remember Infinity did a nice range of reference series speakers, some (all?) using a kappa series ribbon. If memory serves they were very well recieved, and could be had for a nice price these days.
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast