• 3 out of 5

8 38.10%
  • 4 out of 5

6 28.57%
  • 5 out of 5

2 9.52%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Album Club: 11.10.2011: Zero 7 - Simple Things (2001)

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by keiths View Post
    What I didn't like too much was some of the singing. One track, "Distractions", is sung in that nasally, contrived syllable-mangling style that I absolutely detest.
    Sia is an acquired taste and sings in her lazy Aussie style reminiscent of Rickie Lee Jones' lazy Californian style. Her voice has great power and imparts wonderful emotion. Personally, I love it.

I'm Keith.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    How funny, that's one of my favourite tracks I can see how people won't like SIA mind you and her style of singing is definitely a Marmite experience.
    I liked the other track she sung on and have heard one of her solo albums - which I thought was OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Just as a matter of interest Keith, what are your thoughts on Auto-Tune?
    Used as an effect on that Cher song it was fine, but that would soon get tiresome if over used. As a studio tool to fix an out-of-tune singer it seems somewhat dishonest.
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

I'm Keith.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    Sia is an acquired taste and sings in her lazy Aussie style reminiscent of Rickie Lee Jones' lazy Californian style. Her voice has great power and imparts wonderful emotion. Personally, I love it.
    I'm a big RLJ fan, but Sia's singing on this particular track did nothing for me. I've heard other Sia tracks and thought them OK.
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

I'm Dan.

I typed this once already but lost it. grrr. Anyway...

As usual I'm late to the party.

I've heard this album before years ago, presumably not long after it was released. I think it may have been Hamish that played it to me, and I don't think I was very keen at the time.

However, I've listened to it a couple of times this week with a copy borrowed from a friend, and I have to say I really rather like it.

It confused me that I recognised most of the songs, even though only really giving it a cursory listen a couple of times almost 10 years ago...

It reminds me in places of Air, and occasionally Morcheeba but more soulful than either. A very soothing wash over you type album, it was lovely after a shit day at work.

I'll give it 4 stars, and I'll definitely be ordering myself a copy.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Well, I promised a little "theory" a while back, so I suppose I should deliver - albeit I have to admit it was written on the back of a postage stamp, not even graduating to the back of a fag packet...

It has long been suggested that dog owners often gravitate to a mutt that looks like themselves - you know, a bulldog owner often looks like a bulldog... Well, my "theory" is somewhat aligned - does your music taste reflect your personality?

My wife, and also others (including my boss) find it frustrating that I am a very laid back person - I really don't get wound up by very much in life, and generally let it all just wash over me. So is it a coincidence that my favoured music is usually "chillout"? Does anyone else believe that their music choices reflect their personality, or to get back to the dog analogy, am I barking up the wrong tree?

Music is such a personal thing that perhaps it is impossible to pigeon hole it, and indeed your mood can vary, but looking back over time, some of the music I have been "in to" fitted my lifestyle at the time - but generally I always fall back to "chill" - which fits me perfectly as a person - does anyone else feel the same, and their favoured music choices fit their personality?
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

MartinT Guest

I don't think I can apply that to me, Alex. I like 'chill' music like Zero 7 or Tangerine Dream but I also like edgy, angry music from the likes of Shostakovich, Stravinsky or Portishead. It all depends on my mood and reflects on that more than my personality, I think.

I'm ILOB.

I think like a lot of these theories there is some truth, for instance I tend to play music depending on my mood/muse but the main music I listen to is complex technical heavy existential aggressive and melodic in places. I certainly not the most technical person and no one would describe as aggresive so not really sure how this fits in to the theory. But think a great theory to have a chat in the pub with
    I remember when working in a big day service coming up with a similar theory that I be happy to discuss in the pub lol
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Bob.

Simple Things, When It Falls, The Garden - all good

Yeah Ghost: WTF was all that about?

I'm Dan.

5 / 5

Sure is a fantastic production but their are also some track that bring back certain memories such as "Destiny" & "Simple Things" this is what music is about for me bringing back certain times that were happy times.
    Pre & Power
    Technics SUC 909U & Technics SE A909S
    Turntable
    Thorens TD 125 MK1 , SME 3009 S2 Non Improved , Shure V15 II , SME 2000 Plinth
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Marantz 6005 , Beresford Caiman , Paul Hynes SR4
    Loudspeakers
    Tannoy 615 MK2

I'm Josie.

4 / 5 - Great album, been a fan from their early days..
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345