• 3 out of 5

8 38.10%
  • 4 out of 5

6 28.57%
  • 5 out of 5

2 9.52%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Album Club: 11.10.2011: Zero 7 - Simple Things (2001)

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Default Album Club: 11.10.2011: Zero 7 - Simple Things (2001)

Zero 7 - Simple Things (2001) (CD, Vinyl)

Spotify Link: http://open.spotify.com/album/79coNjazSJD8z4WHyhCz4w

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_...(Zero_7_album)

After much deliberation and several changes of heart (even after starting this post!) I have decided to go with this, one of my favourite Chillout albums ever - indeed, one of my favourite albums of all time.

There are very few albums where I can vividly recall the first listen, but this is one of them.

I've got lots more to say about this album and the musical journey it has taken me on over the past 10 years and the artists it and the band have introduced me too - but for the moment, pour yourself a glass of your favourite tipple (or a cuppa if you're being good on a school night...) sit back, relax - listen and chill...
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Got the CD here, must remember to spin tomorrow & comment

Put it this way, if I keep it it must be looking at a 3* rating at least
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

MartinT Guest

Oh, well played sir! I shall dig out my well-worn CD (!) and play it again just to abide by the rules before commenting.

I'm Neil.

Listening now on CD.

Not listened to this album in a few years, so it will be really nice to do so again.

Can't believe this is 2001, boy how time fly's by.

Regards D S D L

I'm Steve.

I will have to get this and report back, embarrassed to admit I have never heard it..
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

I'm Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by aquapiranha View Post
    I will have to get this and report back, embarrassed to admit I have never heard it..
    Me too

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by aquapiranha View Post
    Knowing your tastes Steve, you should like it, especially as you were playing Beth Gibbons earlier - Sia Furler sings on two tracks, oh how I love that girls voice.
    It's often only 1p on Amazon marketplace, plus £1.26 postage
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Paul.

Just listened on Spotify. For a start Chill Out is not my bag. However the album is competently played and produced for this genre and holds interest till about half way through. After that it becomes a little overlong and boring.

Makes acceptable background music while surfing the net. Better than I expected overall. This passed me by unoticed 10 years ago and I feel I didn't realy miss anything.

Since ELP got 3 marks I can only give this 2/5 though it probably deserves better if one likes the genre.

MartinT Guest

I had another listen last night and again in the car this morning. This is what started Zero 7 off and it's an excellent first effort. For me, Sia's voice contributes to the classic Z7 sound, which I don't really consider to be chillout. It's better than that - intricate, catchy and just great to listen to with stand-out vocals and harmonies. Their ability to create a mood and hold it is quite compelling and I find that all their albums can sustain repeated listening.

I don't think it's quite up there with When It Falls (my favourite Z7 album) or The Garden, which feature much more of Sia, Sophie Barker and Tina Dico, so I'm giving it 4 stars.

I'm Will.

Good choice Alex, takes me back to the early days of the Big Chill, 2001 I think, they headlined the Saturday night at the old enchanted garden...tremendous performance from Mozez & Sia in particular...I was close enough to rest my chin on the stage, very happy memories

It's definitely of that time and place, post club and pre come down...Like a lot of the bands of that time 'Kinobe', 'Blue States', 'Bent' etc. I don't think they came close with any of their follow up albums, I bailed out at 'when it falls'.

4 stars for me...
    Last edited by WAD62; 12-10-2011 at 09:32.
    Cheers, Will

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast