+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New speaker project

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Yes, but you'll need something like a Behringer DCX2496 to time align the drivers..

Luckily it'd do everything else to integrate a 3 way system... Gain, time delay, crossover rolloff & type etc...

Not perfect though, you see you need to feed it a stupendous voltage level level to make it use all the 24bits it's capable of using...Then you need to step it down to fit in with hifi amps...

Well i'm dieing at the quality of it non stepped up already, when i get this extra 25Db+ of input through modification & all the 24bits i guess i'll know what real linearity is Right now it is better than any 16bit system...
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Mark.

Would the balanced out of my pre be too low? Then maybe balanced/unbalanced transformers on the i/ps of the power amps.
    Mark

No i don't think so, i'm using the balanced output of my ARC MP1 to feed the Behringer & the outputs are single ended. It's just that you are not using the Behringer to it's full 24bit capacity (due to the low input voltage) so linearity isn't as good as it could be.

If you increased the input it could make use of all 24bits on peaks & linearity would increase even if you attenuated the output

It's what i'm planning to do...
    Bests, Mark

I'm Mark.

Would it be possible to tweak the input and output analogue bits of the Behringer?
    Mark

I'm inthescottishmafia.

You could perhaps use a pair of these Monocor ribbon tweeters Colin has used in his Edingdale speaker. I've not heard them with the ribbons yet, but Colin says they are very good, and I trust his ears. They are not expensive-

http://www.connect-audio.co.uk/prodd...?prod=MONRBT95

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Malenfant View Post
    No i don't think so, i'm using the balanced output of my ARC MP1 to feed the Behringer & the outputs are single ended. It's just that you are not using the Behringer to it's full 24bit capacity (due to the low input voltage) so linearity isn't as good as it could be.

If you increased the input it could make use of all 24bits on peaks & linearity would increase even if you attenuated the output

It's what i'm planning to do...
    Mark, have you tried turning the gain down on the Behringer and driving it with a higher level from the pre?

I've not thought about trying it myself and I'm not at home at the mo. If you haven't, have a go and see if it makes any improvement.

I would say it sounds pretty good as it is though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dingdong View Post
    Would it be possible to tweak the input and output analogue bits of the Behringer?
    Yes, & that's the plan
    Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Mark, have you tried turning the gain down on the Behringer and driving it with a higher level from the pre?

I've not thought about trying it myself and I'm not at home at the mo. If you haven't, have a go and see if it makes any improvement.

I would say it sounds pretty good as it is though.
    Yes i'm in 100% agreement that it sounds good as it is

I can't get any more output from the pre other than turning the volume up further & i often hit 80/100, if there was some kind of gain control as well as the volume control then i'd be laughing. As it is i can reduce the gain, i just can't boost it
    Bests, Mark

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Ok, I'll try it next weekend. I get loads of drive from the pre 2, the vol pot is usually around the 8-9 o clock position.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123