+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Mains Cables R Us linear PSU for SB-Touch: A+

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
    I notice Mark advertises that his SBooster is equally effective in improving the supply from a linear PSU - anybody tried it? I currently power my SQBX Touch with a linear PSU through a JLH Ripple Eater and wonder whether inserting an SBooster between the Ripple Eater and the Touchis likely to make any difference.I know about Mark's 30 day home trial but don't want to waste anybody's time on a non-starter.
    It might work, but it might also be over-egging the pudding.
    The only way to find out is to give it a go.
    It would be interesting to see if the SBooster works positively on the linear PSU without the ripple eater.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
    I notice Mark advertises that his SBooster is equally effective in improving the supply from a linear PSU - anybody tried it? I currently power my SQBX Touch with a linear PSU through a JLH Ripple Eater and wonder whether inserting an SBooster between the Ripple Eater and the Touchis likely to make any difference.I know about Mark's 30 day home trial but don't want to waste anybody's time on a non-starter.
    It's very difficult to read your post mate cos of that fat quivering belly distracting me!

I'm David.

You could always try a better mains lead on your linear PSU, no one has mentioned that yet? Unless it's one with a captive mains lead, oh dear!

I'm Confused.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Mains Cables R Us View Post
    You could always try a better mains lead on your linear PSU, no one has mentioned that yet? Unless it's one with a captive mains lead, oh dear!
    Yep, I could do that - ATM it's just a bog standard kettle lead - should have thought of that myself .
    I'll dig one out and see if it makes any difference that I can perceive.
    Dave.
    DaveK.

My System:
    Power: Belkin PF40, Custom.hifi.cables Hydra and DC PSUs.
    Sources: Self built HTPC with Xonar ST sound card, NAD T585 multi disc player, Sony BDP-S350, Squeezebox Touch, Techncs SL1210 (mod'd) + Nagaoka MP30, Thomson Sky HD box.
    Amps etc.: 2 x Mini-T amps, MF-X10D Valve buffer clone, StanDAC 7520/Caiman (mod'd).
    Speakers: Mission 774s with added super tweeters
    Cables: best I can afford and likely to change except Homar's RF attenuated co-ax's and Mark Grant USB and HDMI cables. I also like silver i/cs and speaker cable.

I'm David.

The latest recipient of my MK II Squeezebox power supply comments below, interestingly I was told a while ago that the USB port gives the best performance on the touch, i.e connecting your NAS or HDD to it, seems maybe that is correct. Maybe that also explains why I sell so many Furutech USB cables!

Was sceptical about the effect of such power supply. But not any longer! It does make audible difference, especially with hires recordings. Tested it by listening to Band On The Run (official uncompressed WAV 24/96) and several Beatles records (copied from Apple USB stick: FLAC 24/44.1). All sound much better with the new power supply. Difference is less pronounced with CD quality recordings. Still, money well spent! Set up: Glyph Portagig 50 HDD to USB port of Squeezebox Touch using Wireworld Ultraviolet USB cable. Digital output from SBT to Cyrus DACX using Townshend digital interconnect. Analogue signal from DAC to NAD M3 with Townshend DCT 300 balanced XLR interconnects. With Townshend Isolda speaker cables to Monitor Audio GS60 speakers. DACX used with Cyrus PXR power supply and of course MKII Linear Power Supply!

Mr Y. Andreev

I'm Gary.

Dave,
    do you do one suitable for the Caiman dac?

I use a TDK Lambda "medical grade" (whatever that is...) linear supply which sounds great, but buzzes a bit.

Just wondering?
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Dave,
    do you do one suitable for the Caiman dac?

I use a TDK Lambda "medical grade" (whatever that is...) linear supply which sounds great, but buzzes a bit.

Just wondering?
    Yes I do!

Just sent 2 out last week, one to Russia and one to Belgium!

I'm David.

I use one of Dave/Nicks PSU's with my caiman .. Alight it doesn't have the second box thingy bit?

Works an absolute treat!
    Better than the cb radio one in my opinion and it can be cranked up to 16v which seemed to work very well for me (although I'm still not sure it is wise to do it???)
    Very worth while upgrade in my view!!
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm David.

Hamish

Did you un-box your christmas present off me yet dude?

I'm David.

which present is that Dave?
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast