+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Putting Linn springs on my Thorens

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Look. The TD160 is still cheap and excellent value as the TD150 (mini-me LP12) is going up in value now because Lenco's are through the roof. With an arm like a Hadcock, you're not going to over-stress the sub-chassis unduly I feel.

My mate at work back then, jigged out some templates to fully damp the sub-chassis and outer platter with sound-deadening panels. His efforts were superb and far better than other attempts, including the basic stamped out panelling of the 160 Super. We were able to charge a modest fee for this work, but in all honesty, there was little in it sonically. The next step was a wooden sub-sub-chassis, which was a tight fit around the bearing housing, made even more so by bolting it (with around five or six bolts) and epoxy glueing it in place. This "beam" went out to the arm end, where it was bolted and glued there, the final part acting as a platform to accept the tonearm mount, another wooden piece. Now this upgrade ("designed" by Robin Marshall no less while he was still at Audiomaster) did make for an improvement at the time, but the price suffered a bit and the few Rega 3/R200's we traded in against LP12's were still embarassing to the TD160, whatever form it took.

Be warned, any excessive modding to the basic deck will all but destroy its value. keep it pretty original, GET A PROPER THORENS BELT!!!, put it in a nice Russ Collinson plinth (beautifully made and available for £160 or so on ebay), set it up properly with original bits set correctly, use some viscous (gear, not engine) oil in the main bearing (EP80 is so cheap and works well, although there are designer lubes around now claiming all sorts) and you'll have an endearing old deck that should see you out. By the way, the mat on TD160's and most 125's is awful and easily bettered IMO. The old multi-rib TD124 style mat is better to my ears and the 160 Super heavy rubber mat was ideal I remember. These sometimes come up if you're lucky. I haven't yet tried one of my cork ones, but a "rubberised" cork mat may be ok, if a little "bright" in balance - possibly....
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Mark.

Got the new belt. Got the Blue Horizon mat. Got a nice record clamp. Even got the motor noise right down with a psu.
    As I was saying it might be time next to just get something else. I've always fancied a Gyro. Pretty, pretty thing.
    Mark

I'm Nigel.

401 my boy, 401

In one of my slate plinths of course!!

Nigel
    Last edited by vinylspinner; 06-10-2011 at 19:46. Reason: missed out text

I'm Mark.

I have thought about that. Was going to ask you about it. Haven't you got a 401 knocking about cheap somewhere?
    Your old DM2's are bloody lovely. Big old lumps, but they do produce a very pleasing sound.
    Mark

I'm Nigel.

Hi Mark,

I have several, but not going cheap, have you anything to barter with?

Also letting go of my last set of DM2 speakers, interested?

Nigel

I'm Mark.

sent you a pm.
    Mark

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Sounds like some good ideas brewing there
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Nobody.

Noce old 401's.. i can only spare £16 tho

I'm Stewart.

www.theanalogdept.com
    This is the place for all of your questions regarding Thorens T/Ts
    S

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Noce old 401's.. i can only spare £16 tho

I've got a Garrard you can have for £16. Very nice turntable with a lovely wooden arm. Would suit you down to the ground.
    Mark

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast