• 3 Stars

6 22.22%
  • 4 Stars

5 18.52%
  • 5 Stars

8 29.63%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Album Club: 04.10.2011: Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery (1973) (SHM-CD)

I'm Nobody.

Default Album Club: 04.10.2011: Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery (1973) (SHM-CD)

Here's my first offering then, pretty much obvious that i was going to choose this one.

'Brain Salad Surgery' was ELP's fourth studio album..recorded June - September 1973...Released on the 19th November 1973..Charted at No.2 in the UK.

An important move for the band at this point. The album was extremely advanced for it's time, absolutly top notch musicianship in every respect.

The BSS world tour to promote the album was of epic proportion with excess of 35 tons of equipment, and a proper quadraphonic sound system, they were the bees Knees for sure. This was ELP at their very very best.

To showcase this live tour you can't go far wrong giving the triple 'Welcome Back My Friends to the Show That Never Ends' a blast.

The album artwork is a talking point alone, a truly amazing piece of artwork commissioned from Swizz surrealist painter, sculptor, H.R.Giger, it was a perfect choice that would accompany the atmosphere of the album extremely well.. it has to be the greatest ever record sleeve imho

The album! well listern for yourself.

http://open.spotify.com/album/5usAkZunm7reU2vik0SFSG
    Last edited by Rare Bird; 08-10-2011 at 21:35.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Well that was a surprise fella
    I shall spin it tonight whilst nursing my foot following an ingrowing toenail op, which is happening imminently
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm ILOB.

I have a listen tommorow, working late tonight so unable to listen to it
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Will.

Got this on vinyl Andre, will give it a fresh spin tonight, by far my favourite ELP offering...It's been a long time since I played it so we'll see how it's stood up to the decades, hopefully better than the vinyl itself
    Cheers, Will

I'm Barry.

ELP were my "first grown" up group after growing up with The Beatles et al.
    Always loved the hymn Jerusalem at school couldn't believe it when my then fav group did it.
    Haven't played BSS in years looking forward to this, great choice of album.

I'm Paul.

Ah the band responsible for the ultimate in prog excess along with Wakeman. Never a great fan but fine musicians. Listening to some tracks on Spotify. I've ordered new CD remaster of Amazon rather than pay more for knackered ebay vinyl. The new vinyl (digital source ?) is way too pricey.

I'm Neil.

Always preferred the first ELP album but I have this on vinyl and CD (as I do most of the other albums) so I will have a listen again.

This should be really interesting. Must apologise for not taking part in these threads before but I have been time poor recently. I will try to do so and maybe even for next time (next group) make my own suggestion.

Regards D S D L

MartinT Guest

Brain Salad Surgery is my favourite ELP album and one of my all-time greats. Listening to it again is going to be no hardship at all. Great choice, Andr'e

I'm Barry.

Now I've played it I realise it's something like 30 years since I last heard it.
    Fantastic album, all sorts going on deffo 5/5.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Tis good methinks, but trilogy is my favourite..

Always worth a spin for Benny the Bouncer
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast