• 3 Stars

6 22.22%
  • 4 Stars

5 18.52%
  • 5 Stars

8 29.63%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Album Club: 04.10.2011: Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery (1973) (SHM-CD)

I'm Dean.

Hi,

I have a copy of this album knocking around so I gave it a spin.

From this, I can see why people don't like prog rock. It didn't do much for me. At times, it sounded like self indulgent tomfoolery, at other time bloody awful.

Nice sleeve.
    Dean

There are only two types of music. Music I own and music I don't.

I'm Nobody.

Not a bad result at the end of the day.

I'm Nobody.

I just thought i'd address a few issues with the three tracks that some people arnt too chuffed about:

Trk 01: Jerusalem
    You can hardly pull the band down for this, it's basically a simple adaption of the great hymn (that everyone loves) with a touch of William Blake chucked in for good measure.. At least if your not too keen on the hymn itself, focus your attention to Carl Palmers absolutly superb drumming skills, no other drummer had a patch on Carl at that time, he was well good imho.

Trk 02: Toccata
    Why on earth people do not appreciate this is beyond me! ''Leaves me cold''?? (sorry Neil, i dont agree, leaves you astounded more like) It's an absolutly brilliant adaption of Alberto Ginastera's 'Piano Concerto No.1, 4th Movement..Fantastic

Trk 04: Benny The Bouncer
    Cumon' fellas for crying out aloud...I think ''BTB'' was quite effective at least in dividing the first half of the album from 'KE9', clears the slate if you like.You see ''Karnevil9'' has a basic story in three parts 1st-3rd Impressions, a story of the begining of the world through to the future with computers & things trying to take over etc etc, (i think you get the idea)..

'Brain Salad Surgery' will go down in history as one of the greatest ever Prog rock albums of all time..

'The tapes have recorded their names'
    Last edited by Rare Bird; 25-11-2011 at 00:46.

MartinT Guest

Can't argue with you there, Andr'e.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    I just thought i'd address a few issues with the three tracks that some people arnt too chuffed about:

Trk 01: Jerusalem
    You can hardly pull the band down for this, it's basically a simple adaption of the great hymn (that everyone loves) with a touch of William Blake chucked in for good measure.. At least if your not too keen on the hymn itself, focus your attention to Carl Palmers absolutly superb drumming skills, no other drummer had a patch on Carl at that time, he was well good imho.

Trk 02: Toccata
    Why on earth people do not appreciate this is beyond me! ''Leaves me cold''?? (sorry Neil, i dont agree, leaves you astounded more like) It's an absolutly brilliant adaption of Alberto Ginastera's 'Piano Concerto No.1, 4th Movement..Fantastic

Trk 04: Benny The Bouncer
    Cumon' fellas for crying out aloud...I think ''BTB'' was quite effective at least in dividing the first half of the album from 'KE9', clears the slate if you like.You see ''Karnevil9'' has a basic story in three parts 1st-3rd Impressions, a story of the begining of the world through to the future with computers & things trying to take over etc etc, (i think you get the idea)..

'Brain Salad Surgery' will go down in history as one of the greatest ever Prog rock albums of all time..

'The tapes have recorded their names'
    By and large I'm with you on this one Andre.
    My thoughts on the album - the title of the third track is "Still, You Turn Me On", and this album still does it for me.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm sorted.

Well I like it

I'm Werner.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Compare this to any shit & i mean shit today
    I think that’s a matter of personal taste. I could easily name at least three releases from 2011 which I certainly like much more than the complete œvre of Emerson, Lake and Palmer.

Werner.
    Mac OS X iTunes → Schiit Bifrost DAC → Yamaha AX-592 → Triangle Zays XS Grand Angle | AKG K712 Pro headphones | my last.fm profile

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345