+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Emgee's gear

I'm Mark.

Default Emgee's gear

Here's some pics of my outgoing Exposure kit and the new incoming stuff; I'll post the completed system once it's all here. Please note it doesn't always sit on the dining room table! We're moving house and the table has had to move into my listening room

forgot to add the Project experience turntable

I'm Mark.

Source kit now looks like this since today. The Audiolab 8200CDQ provides a wealth of functionality as well as a very pleasing sound; more bass and tighter than my older Exposure kit; it generates a lot of heat though!

The remote is top drawer, 2mm ally top and a soft touch (almost like silicon) matt black base, clear button lay out too.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    What the heck are those metal cone and ribbony monstrosities you have there?????

Just seen - Monitor Audio................... :duh:

Gawd, you need to spend some time on this forum sir
    While it is true you wont find too many fans of MA speakers on AOS, I have to say Dave that comment above was uncalled for.

Welcome Mark to AOS you have an interesting system and while not to my own personal taste an interesting one anyway. What Dave alludes to in, what is a somewhat crude way is that you will be exposed to lots of less than main stream kit on AOS and you will be both challenged and have your mind opened to lots of possibilities by being here.

However we all like different things and your system suits your tastes and as such belongs here in the gallery just as you belong as part of our community, so please don't let the above comment put you off.

Regards D S D L

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Post deleted with sincere apologies...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Mark.

No need to apologise, no offence taken. I'm not averse to a bit of banter. If you don't like then you don't like-so long as you've heard them for yourself so as to make an informative opinion of course

I'm no professional sound engineer or musician so every nuance from a change in cables, use of different rack materials etc is lost on me. I listen; properly listen, for about 2hrs most evenings. I like my music clear, loud and with plenty of driving bass; for me, this set up works.

I am always open to new ideas, but the kit has to be reliable! Gone are the days for me tinkering with old hi-fi; my classic car takes up all that spare time and cash!

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Hi Mark, welcome to the forum from another one

I see you have a pair of small ATC loudspeakers There is a power amp there that looks suspiciously like it could well also be made by ATC as it looks almost identical to an integrated that they manufacture (or at least did until recently as far as i know)...

Is it an ATC power amp or am i just imagining it? Put me out of my misery

All the best to you, hope you enjoy your stay
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Mark.

Hi, thanks for the welcome. yes, it is an ATC P1 power amp. When funds allow there may be another, not sure though; seems to be plenty of power on tap to drive the PL200's. W're moving house to a bigger place so will wait and see what the room acoustics are like-get me, going all audiophile!

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Nice, i thought it was Yeah i should imagine it'll have no problems delivering a decent 300W RMS into 4 ohms each channel.

Never had the chance to have a listen to one, but i'd like to. The power amps use a very unusual circuit with most of the voltage gain taking place at the output stage & a totally seperate transformer needed for each channel. effectively they are dual mono as standard, in typical ATC style though they just don't go shouting about it, they let the amp do the talking

Nice kit
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

What I SHOULD have said, instead of being rude was to ask if you'd considered bigger ATC's such as the 35's or 40's?

By the way, welcome
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Mark.

No probs, honestly. Auditioned a pair of 40's (my first choice) and whilst I love the midrange on the 19's (and 40's seeing as same driver), it was the oh so sweet top end that swayed me with the MA's; that and a much bigger soundstage to coin a well used phrase The MA's are a better speaker-but then they should be at twice the price! ( I know a lot of that is aesthetics; but the build quality is superb BTW).

I'd also auditioned some Elac247's (nice but not big enough sounding) and Spendor A9's (but didn't get on with them though). You could disappear up your own backside with all the choice out there!
    Last edited by emgee; 04-08-2011 at 21:33. Reason: additional comment

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast