+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My toys

Default My toys

Here are some photos of my favourite bits...

SP10 in slate plinth with SME 312S and Audio Note IO Ltd.

DIY 801A SET using a circuit by the late Nobu Shishido.

I won't post the CD player as that's likely to be revised fairly shortly with a new design based on PC transport with a discrete DAC (i.e. not chip-based)

Speakers are Lowther Acoustas as my horn project had to go on hold as I was too busy (and don't have the space!). The horns will be resurrected some day, for sure.

I'm also building an LCR phono amp using Silk 10k RIAA modules, which should be ready in the not so distant future.
    Last edited by i_should_coco; 06-11-2008 at 22:18.

I'm Nick.

I'd love to hear your turntable. Did you do the plinth yourself? Your amp is also very nicely done. Very classy design in a homemade machine. You must be very pleased with it. Wish I was as handy
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

Thanks! I just assembled the thing to be honest. The plinth was ordered from Berwyn Slate as a friend had recommended them after getting some speaker stands made. As it turns out, I believe they outsourced the cutting to Slatedeck who did a fabulous job.

The armboard and feet (made with car valve springs )were made by thrunobulax, who again did a fab job.

This is one of my early amps.

Last edited by i_should_coco; 06-11-2008 at 23:14.

I'm Nick.

I bet it worked though! At least croc-clips allow you to tweak more easily than messing about soldering and unsoldering!
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

A lovely deck, I'm working on my SP-10 in a new wood plinth and SME V. Maybe finished in 'another' week?

Regards

Dave

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by Beechwoods View Post
    I bet it worked though! At least croc-clips allow you to tweak more easily than messing about soldering and unsoldering!
    When I visited Pete a while back he had a couple of sets of horns covering various frequency ranges, he was making alterations as the music was playing, all through the power of crocodile clips.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Superb deck, Pete! Those copper mats seem to be doing the rounds now

Dave,

You should borrow one of those mats from Guy to try on your SP10 - I think you'd like the effect

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Hi Marco

Copper? not convinced about a vinyl/copper interface, what is the functionality here?

But still waiting for Guy to call round, the coffee is on (freshly ground beans 2 minutes ago) and the pile of chocolate digestives is getting smaller by the second.......

Dave

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I think Guy's going to join in our shenanigans on the 24th and bring his SP10, so no doubt that will make things even more interesting

Yes the mat is SOLID copper - weighs a bloody ton! It does sound rather good...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Would still like to understand the reasoning for a vinyl/copper interface?

24th? tell me more?

Dave

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast