View Poll Results: Please rate this album out of 5 marks.

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 out of 5

4 21.05%
  • 2 out of 5

3 15.79%
  • 3 out of 5

3 15.79%
  • 4 out of 5

1 5.26%
  • 5 out of 5

8 42.11%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Album Club: 27.09.2011: Judie Tzuke - Welcome to the Cruise (1979) (Vinyl, CD, MP3)

I'm Dave.

Well its a nice album with nice songs. Afraid it doesn't really get me in any shape or form although I did remember buying the single when it came out and I recognised 'For you' as being the B side.

Although it was 1979 it still has those horrible 80s drum sounds and why put flange on her voice? Either that or she was singing next to a wendy cabinet?

I don't hate it per se but I wouldn't buy it.
    In - Tweaked Lenco GL75, Linn Ittok, Ortofon Cadenza Black
    Through - Croft Micro 25 RS LS, power R monoblocks, RIAA R. Ortofon ST-80 SE SUT.
    Along - Tellurium Q Ultra Black cables
    Out - Harbeth SHL5 Plus XD's

Street photography

Dave

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Went to see her live, recording a BBC radio gig at the Paris Studios in Regent St thirty years or more ago. Lovely lady and lovely music IMO...

The first CD issue on Rocket Records spoiled it for me, because there was a tape drop-out right in the middle when she wants to "break out and SAA*?*!AAAyaaaay. This track on a compilation CD I have somewhere doesn't do this, so either a different tape was used, or the original may have just suffered on that one pass - there is a problem with many masters that the oxide comes away from the backing due to normal humidity and tapes have to be baked for a while to enable them to be played - once only I understand.

Anyway, Judie has a way with her singing that I find quite enchanting and as for her wonderful album "Left Hand Talking" from 1994(edit - 1991, was it really that long ago?)....................
    Last edited by DSJR; 27-09-2011 at 21:18.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm joe.

As the mighty HMHB sang:

There are questions in corners of my mind that lurk
    Like how do the road gritters get to work?
    Answer me that and you could win a cruise
    Here’s Judie Tzuke to take us up to the news

Half Man Half Biscuit: When The Evening Sun Goes Down

I didn't get the Cruise/Tzuke reference till now!

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Went to see her live, recording a BBC radio gig at the Paris Studios in Regent St thirty years or more ago. Lovely lady and lovely music IMO...

The first CD issue on Rocket Records spoiled it for me, because there was a tape drop-out right in the middle when she wants to "break out and SAA*?*!AAAyaaaay. This track on a compilation CD I have somewhere doesn't do this, so either a different tape was used, or the original may have just suffered on that one pass - there is a problem with many masters that the oxide comes away from the backing doe to normal humidity and tapes have to be baked for a while to enable them to be played - once only I understand.

Anyway, Judie has a way with her singing that I find quite enchanting and as for her wonderful album "Left Hand Talking" from 1994....................
    I think this was a Rocket Record error in transfering to digital. The latest 'Moon on a Mirrorball' compilation is free of errors. I believe the tapes were good when Elton finaly and generously handed them to Judie. 'Left Hand Talking' is 1991. I have the rare vinyl. It's a pity this and others did not receive the necessary record company promotion to be a success. This album is now available on Cherry Red label but Judie appears to have no access to the material, none of which is included in the above compilation CD.

MartinT Guest

I've just been listening to 1989's Turning Stones on vinyl and Judie still does it for me

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Audioman View Post
    I think this was a Rocket Record error in transfering to digital. The latest 'Moon on a Mirrorball' compilation is free of errors. I believe the tapes were good when Elton finaly and generously handed them to Judie. 'Left Hand Talking' is 1991. I have the rare vinyl. It's a pity this and others did not receive the necessary record company promotion to be a success. This album is now available on Cherry Red label but Judie appears to have no access to the material, none of which is included in the above compilation CD.
    Thanks for the correction - I first heard this album on vinyl and the emotion and wash-of-sound production brought tears to my eyes on so many tracks. My CD had the "Belt" treatment done to it by Jimmy, so there's bits of foil and all sorts on it - sounded "better" to me afterwards, but it's ages since I played it last - now that reminds me.....
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm ILOB.

I found this a patchy affair their at times when I totally seduced and times when it just has me wanting to move to the next track
    Sorry
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Dave.

I'm sure I gave this album 3 out of 5 but its not showing up on the poll...?
    Through - Croft Micro 25 RS LS, power R monoblocks, RIAA R. Ortofon ST-80 SE SUT.

Street photography

Dave

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Thing Fish View Post
    I'm sure I gave this album 3 out of 5 but its not showing up on the poll...?
    Looks like you accidently gave it 5 or 2 judging from votes v posters.

I'm Dave.

I must have been on planet mong...

Street photography

Dave

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast