View Poll Results: Please rate this album out of 5 marks.

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 out of 5

4 21.05%
  • 2 out of 5

3 15.79%
  • 3 out of 5

3 15.79%
  • 4 out of 5

1 5.26%
  • 5 out of 5

8 42.11%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Album Club: 27.09.2011: Judie Tzuke - Welcome to the Cruise (1979) (Vinyl, CD, MP3)

I'm Paul.

Default Album Club: 27.09.2011: Judie Tzuke - Welcome to the Cruise (1979) (Vinyl, CD, MP3)

I picked this as it is a rather different style of music than the previous selections and is a recording that should appeal to audiophiles.
    Very successfull album in it's day but now rather neglected. Contains 'Stay With Me Till Dawn' the only Judie Tzuke track that's ever played on radio unless you listen to Bob Harris.

This like the 'Dire Straits' album was a success against the background of New Wave and Disco music popular at the time. An excellent recording that makes the most of multitracking and lush orchestrations to produce complex sound textures. The song writing by Tzuke and Paxton is also consistent. An album with hardly any filler. This one should have had an audiophile release but was beset by licencing problems through the years.

The original LP release was on Elton John's Rocket Record Company label (Train 7) and I believe there was a later CD release before going out of print for some years. There are plenty vinyl copies for sale on ebay.

It has been available again on CD exclusively through JT's Big Moon web site for nearly 10 years but a new release on the Wrasse label can be purchases on Amazon and I presume any brick and mortar stores still existing. In fact Judie is a bit of a pioneer in managing her music via the net having her own studio and releasing all new material this way since 1996.

I think this one may be another that divides opinion.

http://open.spotify.com/artist/7eo4Kn4hJuwXKCD6nOl2Kh

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Welcome-Crui...7118977&sr=8-1

http://www.tzuke.com/cruise.html

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Records-/3...=p3286.c0.m282

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welcome_to_the_Cruise
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Audioman; 27-09-2011 at 15:27.

MartinT Guest

Excellent choice, Paul. I'll pull out my vinyl copy and have another listen.

I'm Keith.

I remember listening to this at the time, but don't now seem to have a copy on any format. I have ordered it on vinyl off eBay.
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

I'm ILOB.

I have a good listen to this on Wednesday I remember seeing Judie play live and being quite entranced by her I think it was at the Mean Fidler in Harlesden I never got round to getting albums by Judie generally abit to light in my musical prefences but I am looking forward to hearing Judie after all these years
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Lol, another of my favourite albums from my youth! I have this on both vinyl and CD and was only playing it a few weeks ago. Another easy 5 stars from me - I love it, even on Spotify
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Will.

This is something I disliked at the time, and a re-listen on spotify has merely confirmed my original opinion.

I think the phrase 'bland MOR' pretty much covers it for me, 'Bring the rain' & 'new friends again' at least got a full play, but the rest required a FFWD, in fact the spotify adverts came as a welcome relief after some tracks.

Not an album I'll want to hear again...

1 star
    Cheers, Will

I'm Steve.

Fantastic album. I have been a fan of Judie Tzuke for many years (her daughter can sing too!) and once was lucky enough to see here in concert, a good few years ago now in Liverpool at a very small venue on Hanover St.

Quite apart from her beautiful and haunting lyrics, the musicianship on that particular album is first class too and I often enjoy chilling out to it in the evening.

They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

I'm Barry.

For some reason I don't buy or listen to female artists, the odd record I hear on the radio I like but would never buy the album.
    I remember the single "..till dawn" of course and it had a nice haunting chorus but I'm afraid the album does nothing for me, sorry.

I'm Barry.

Don't know why double post, only clicked once?

MartinT Guest

Judie Tzuke takes me back to student days and being at each other's houses playing music all night. I have always had a soft spot for her. Her singing range is actually quite narrow but it's the songwriting that wins through and the style of her backing on this album. I hope Bailey gets a proper break as her singing is even better.

I was lucky enough to see Judie and Bailey in concert this year and she hasn't lost her magic at all. 5 stars from me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast