+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Last Gig You Went To...

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by WAD62 View Post
    ...some things are indeed best left to memory
    I saw them in Bristol in Nov 2009, I enjoyed myself but that was the last time I care to see them - they will never top the performance they put on in Reading in 1975. Like you say, best left to a happy memory.

I walked out of Jon Anderson & Rick Wakeman recently, one of only 2 gigs I have walked out of in 40 years of going to concerts!
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    I saw them in Bristol in Nov 2009, I enjoyed myself but that was the last time I care to see them - they will never top the performance they put on in Reading in 1975. Like you say, best left to a happy memory.

I walked out of Jon Anderson & Rick Wakeman recently, one of only 2 gigs I have walked out of in 40 years of going to concerts!
    I think I saw them in Edinburgh in 75 or 76, so those were good Yes memories

Going to see these old bands is always a bit of a gamble Tim, for example I've seen both Andy Powell's Wishbone Ash, and Martin Turner's.

Whilst Martin Turner's wasn't the most hideous experience I've ever had, I found Andy Powell's version to be far more entertaining, and much less pretentious

But if you don't gamble you never win...anyway that's Yes off the wish list
    Cheers, Will

I'm Paul.

I'm actually off to see The Darkness in 5 mins in Manchester tonight

I'm Paul.

I'm actually off to see The Darkness in 5 mins in Manchester tonight

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by WAD62 View Post
    Went to see Yes at the Birmingham symphony hall on Saturday night...
    Thanks, Will. I'm still looking forward to seeing them on Thursday at the Hammersmith Apollo. Material from the first four albums sounds just fine with me. Quiet is also good, I no longer want to be deafened or have to wear ear plugs at gigs.

MartinT Guest

I loved them at the Basingstoke Anvil earlier this year.

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    Thanks, Will. I'm still looking forward to seeing them on Thursday at the Hammersmith Apollo. Material from the first four albums sounds just fine with me. Quiet is also good, I no longer want to be deafened or have to wear ear plugs at gigs.
    Martin, I stopped listening to yes around 'Going for the One', so all I can say is that everything I recognised was from the first 4 albums, no Topographic Oceans, or Relayer...they may have played some material from more recent albums but I just assumed it to be new stuff, mostly due to it being poor IMHO

I think the volume was more down to the venue, BSH is usually a little quieter than most venues I go to...I'd imagine there'd be less restrictions at the Apollo.

I also hope they have a bigger projection screen for the Roger Dean images (far too small at the BSH), might be able to distract you from the band's 'visual' issues

Enjoy...
    Last edited by WAD62; 14-11-2011 at 10:17.
    Cheers, Will

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    I loved them at the Basingstoke Anvil earlier this year.
    I just couldn't stomach Rick's cheesey slap stick humour anymore Martin and when Jon started paying too much attention to his 'bit of stuff' in the front row (get a room guys), that was it for me.....

Royal Festival Hall - Sunday 13th Nov
    Alison Krauss & Union Station

What a bloody great show, Alison's second night of 4 sold out shows. I was lucky to have great seats in the front stalls, a few rows from the front. The sound was sublime, but then most things sound pretty good in the RFH.

They did a lot of stuff from Paper Airplane as well as stuff from her entire career and a couple of covers. Special mention goes to Jerry Douglas on the Dobro, this guy owns the instrument - wonderful.

Over 2 hours of music and an encore which saw them unplugged together around a single microphone, which for me was the highlight - I love to see an artist strip it all back and perform pretty raw.

All in all a really fantastic night with a great meal in Ping Pong beforehand!

Image00001.jpg
    Taken by a friend
    Last edited by Tim; 14-11-2011 at 10:44.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Werner.

Tim,

that was the last time I care to see them
    unfortunately I hadn’t the honour to know you back in 1973, but I guess even at that time I would have suggested to *not* visit that gig :-) Sorry, really don’t want to insult any “Yes” fans, but for me their music always has sounded like bloated cr*p.

Werner.
    Mac OS X iTunes → Schiit Bifrost DAC → Yamaha AX-592 → Triangle Zays XS Grand Angle | AKG K712 Pro headphones | my last.fm profile

I'm Dave.

I heard the Arctic Monkeys rehearsing from outside the SECC in Glasgow last Tuesday - does that count as going to a gig?

Dave

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast