+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Last Gig You Went To...

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Thunder at the Manchester Academy on Friday night 21/12/12.
    Excellent gig
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Jan.

Blimey I forgot to report in... back 15 October Ultravox in http://www.amagerbio.dk/

Solid as always. The oldies with a handfull of their new tunes added
    Jan.

Main: Touch -> Beresford Caiman II -> Carver A-500x -> B&W 704
    Office: Duet (Audiocom)
    -> Luxman L-210 -> Stax SR84 Pro
    -> Beresford Bushmaster -> Superlux HD668B

Server: A8-5500, 4 GB, SSD + 2*1 TB, Win8 w. SBS 7.9 (SQLite w. High Mem)
    Tied together by D-Link DIR-655 + DGS-1008D

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Cowboy Junkies
    Barbican Centre, London
    Friday 25th Jan 2013

Margo Timmins at the Barbican last night, clutching some red roses a member of the audience gave her.

Well what a way to open my 2013 gig calendar - simply fantastic.

Cowboy Junkies have been a favourite band of mine since seeing Natural Born Killers in 94' and buying the film soundtrack. They performed a cover of the Lou Reed (Velvet Underground) Sweet Jane song for the film and I was hooked on them from that moment. Not to everyone's taste I know and they have been described as country music on valium, as they have a very laid-back sound which is uniquely an unmistakably Cowboy Junkies. Anyway, the show started at 8.00 and we got a selection of songs from the new Nomad Series (4 albums) for around 60 minutes, a short break then all the old favourites, this included opening the second set with Sweet Jane, which met with loud approval from the crowd. They also played requests from people who had emailed or left messages on their website - the show went on till around 10.30~40 (forgot to check watch) and the full house just lapped it up.

The evening was fantastic, but what really made the event stand out was the sound quality - if anyone thinks all live shows sound shit (which some do), then they should have been in the Barbican last night. It was truly glorious, every note and chord, every pick at the guitar, every beat of a drum and every word sung by Margo Timmins was pitch perfect and clearly heard. It was astonishingly good and I know being at the Barbican clearly helps, but nonetheless the sound was immaculate last night.

I also got a chance to meet Margo and shake her hand after the gig, as she came out to spend some time with fans and sign CD's - what a night

Oh, as they are a Canadian band and as stated by Margo, "Every Canadian band should play at least one Neil Young song", then ended their two song encore with a brilliantly timed cover of Don't Let it Bring You Down.

I have quite a few gigs booked for 2013 already, but TBH its going to be very hard to top last night

I'm pretty sure this is the set-list, but I'm not 100%

Wrong Piano
    Sit Sadly by Your Side
    Stranger Here
    See You Around
    Square Room
    3rd Crusade
    Late Night Radio
    Damaged from the Start
    Fairytale
    INTERVAL
    Sweet Jane
    Common Disaster
    Cheap is How I Feel
    Spiral Down (this was awesome......)
    Working on a Building
    Lay it Down
    A Horse in the Country
    Five Room Love Story
    My Little Basquiat
    Good Friday
    ENCORE
    Blue Moon
    Don't Let it Bring You Down
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Paul.

Default Last Gig You Went To...

Agreed, great show, as always..
    Z:Axis Audio
    British made Cabling and High End Audio Support Systems and the New 'Symetrica' balanced Power Supply.

UK Distributor for Concert Fidelity Inc Japan & Aidas Audio Phono Cartridges
    UK supplier for: Z:Axis Audio; Concert Fidelity

Personal System:
    Mains - Symetrica by Z:Axis Audio - A game changer!
    CD Transport - Ayon CD-T2
    DAC - Ayon Stratos Refrence
    TT - Sony TTS 8000 /SAEC WE 506/30 / Aidas MC Cartridges
    Phonostage - RCM Audio Theriaa & Sensor2
    Pre - Concert Fidelity 080LSX2 & CLS050 Hybrid valve/SS ultra short signal path technology.
    Power - Concert Fidelity ZL-200 Mono's.
    Loudspeakers - Franco Serblin Ktema.
    Support System - Z:Axis Audio Grand Mirage 98.8
    Cabling - All our own; Z:Axis B52 Reference, Infinity Reference Digital, Livewire Loudspeaker & Xer0 Power Cabling.

Demonstration sessions welcome by appointment.

I'm Gone.

I was at the Jamaican High Commission last Wednesday, to film their Bob Marley 68 th birthday celebration, 9 acts recorded by Steve Rispin of Liscome Park Studios soon as I get the sound track I will edit the video and post it on Musicosis. What a great night out, the cream of talent from Jamaica, of Jamaican extraction or just lovers of Bob Marley. Each gave their own interpretation of his music. I loved it.

I'm fabulous.

For me it was Barb Jungr on Saturday 9th February

Wonderful night, Barb is on tour promoting her new album Stockport to Memphis. Both of us originally coming from Stockport, it was rude not to go and see her perform at the art deco wonder, the Stockport Plaza.

Tremendous, and I was able to meet Barb at the end of the gig.
    lossless > Raspberry PI-3b+ > allo Boss > Van Damme Purple interconnect >
    Myryad Z210 CD Player > Chord Chameleon Silver+ interconnect >

into Magnum IA170 amplifier > Van Damme Blue 4mm cable > Mission 752 Freedom Floorstanders
    Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-AD700 Open-back

I'm Andrew.

I went to see Eli scarecrow at the snooty fox in Wakefield. Check out ROBOTRON it's the funniest thing I have ever seen at a gig.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Stephen.

Was at the Tate for the opening show of Kraftwerk last Wednesday which was a good night out.
    Back there tomorrow to see The Mix

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Not long since returned from seeing the Antonio Forcione Trio performing at The Band On The Wall in Manchester.
    A excellent performance by a superb band, and the sound was amazing too

Thoroughly recommended
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm ChrisB.

I went to see Justin Currie in Kendal on Thursday night. What an excellent gig it was.
    A great story from the guy who played the support slot....

"We were on our way here to the gig & we stopped by a river to have a cup of coffee & so on. There was a guy there with a bag full of puppies and, thinking the worst, we engaged him in conversation. When we asked him about the puppies he told us he was going to chuck them in the river. We spent ages trying to persuade him to save the poor little cute things and eventually, we came up with a plan.
    .....so tonight, all sales of my CDs in the foyer, will go towards looking after those poor little pups!"

I reckon Justin Currie is one of the UK's best songwriters and is criminally under-rated.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast