• 3 out of 5

3 13.64%
  • 4 out of 5

12 54.55%
  • 5 out of 5

6 27.27%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Album Club: 20.09.2011: Fairport Convention - Liege & Lief (1969) (CD, Vinyl,)

I'm Keith.

I really enjoyed listening to this again lastnight (even though the last time would only have been a couple of months ago) and have been hummimg "Crazy Man Michael" all morning

'Unhalfbricking' still just shades it for me, but both are essential albums that EVERYBODY should have in their collections imo.

4 stars ****
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by WAD62 View Post
    Hi Barry, did you register your vote? I also gave it 3/5 yesterday, but there's still only one 3 vote showing at the moment...
    Seems I didn't. Last night was a concatination of Forum cock ups for me!

Have scored it 3/5, as I said I would, though I wonder if I have been a bit harsh. I intend re-playing it today, when no doubt, I will regret my decision not to score it higher.
    Barry

Hi Brian,

I realise I have been a bit scathing of Swabrick, but I really did dislike the way he seemed to dominate the Fairport albums, post Liege and Lief.

He was superb playing on Sandy and I have heard him playing with Martin Carthy, so he has redeemed himself.

The only album I have featuring Jerry Donahue is Fotheringay: a one-off collaboration with Sandy Denny, returning to the early Fairport folk sound. I just love the track 'Banks of the Nile'.

Regards
    Barry

Location: Swaledale, North Yorkshire + The Valley of Longevity

I'm Toooldnowtogrowup.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Hi Brian,

I realise I have been a bit scathing of Swabrick, but I really did dislike the way he seemed to dominate the Fairport albums, post Liege and Lief.

He was superb playing on Sandy and I have heard him playing with Martin Carthy, so he has redeemed himself.

The only album I have featuring Jerry Donahue is Fotheringay: a one-off collaboration with Sandy Denny, returning to the early Fairport folk sound. I just love the track 'Banks of the Nile'.

Regards
    Yes indeed .. I love her singing that ... the haunting quality of her voice really comes over on it ..

Check this out for Donahue with Fairport .. he is really really good when they are on song .. Sloth on this is awesome ..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairport_Live_Convention

Cheers ...
    Brian
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Smile, breathe and go slowly ..........................

I'm Will.

Seems I didn't. Last night was a concatination of Forum cock ups for me!

Have scored it 3/5, as I said I would, though I wonder if I have been a bit harsh. I intend re-playing it today, when no doubt, I will regret my decision not to score it higher.
    Sorry mate, I wasn't trying to force your vote...I was just a little confused.
    Cheers, Will

I'm Paul.

Hi Brian,

Regards
    An approachable album by the Carthy/Swarb combo is 'Life and Limb' made around 89/90. I doubt this can be found other than on physical media. Although it gets bad reviews I also like Fairport's 'Rising For The Moon' featuring the temporary return of Sandy. This is more a Fotheringay line up being largely populated by ex members incl Donahue and Trevor Lucas. Produced by Glyn Johns which makes it worth a listen in any case.

Individual Carthy/Swarbrick tracks are on Spotify from L and L inc 'A Question of Sport'.

Quote Originally Posted by Audioman
    Although it gets bad reviews I also like Fairport's 'Rising For The Moon' featuring the temporary return of Sandy. This is more a Fotheringay line up being largely populated by ex members incl Donahue and Trevor Lucas. Produced by Glyn Johns which makes it worth a listen in any case.
    I used to have 'Rising for the Moon', and know what you mean. However for whatever reason, I couldn't have liked it sufficiently to have kept it.

You are now going to make me regret my decision!

Thanks for the Carthy/Swabrick title - I'll check it out.
    Barry

Location: Swaledale, North Yorkshire + The Valley of Longevity

I'm Toooldnowtogrowup.

Quote Originally Posted by Audioman View Post
    An approachable album by the Carthy/Swarb combo is 'Life and Limb' made around 89/90. I doubt this can be found other than on physical media. Although it gets bad reviews I also like Fairport's 'Rising For The Moon' featuring the temporary return of Sandy. This is more a Fotheringay line up being largely populated by ex members incl Donahue and Trevor Lucas. Produced by Glyn Johns which makes it worth a listen in any case.

Individual Carthy/Swarbrick tracks are on Spotify from L and L inc 'A Question of Sport'.
    Yeah I love that album .. Sandy is in superb form on the title track ..

If you can find it this a brilliant Live album recorded at what was almost my local pub in 81' ... he is playing as a duo with Simon Nicol in the public bar for about 30 people .. it is as live as music ever can get on a record .. superb stuff.

Live at the White Bear (White Bear, 1981)
    Brian
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Smile, breathe and go slowly ..........................

I'm colin.

A personal favorite. Never got into any of the other albums.
    Technic 1210, PS3, AVI neutron 2.1, Icon Audio p1 phono stage.

I'm Dan.

Fantastic album, probably the best of the Sandy Denny era, Fairport still play half of these songs at their concerts.... I really enjoyed digging this one out for a spin. A true original.

Highlights for me were Matty Groves, Tam Lin and Come All Ye, but it really is just a great record from start to finish.

A few people have slightly derided Fairport's later work, but I think a lot of the post Sandy Denny/Richard Thompson stuff is excellent, 'Babbacombe Lee' being probably my favourite album of theirs. Also their latest, 'Festival Bell' is great.

I think for me it would be a bit of an insult to give this album less than 5 stars, so I won't!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast