• 3 out of 5

3 13.64%
  • 4 out of 5

12 54.55%
  • 5 out of 5

6 27.27%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Album Club: 20.09.2011: Fairport Convention - Liege & Lief (1969) (CD, Vinyl,)

I'm Keith.

Thought I had this on vinyl, but I can't find it
    I do have it on CD though and haven't played it for a while ('Unhalfbricking' usually get the nod when I'm in the mood for Fairport), so I look forward to listening properly to it over the next few days. Good choice
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

I'm Paul.

This album always gets the nod as the best Fairprort album. Frankly I prefer the earlier recordings which gave more scope for Sandy and Richard's song writing skills to shine. In retrospect no surprise Sandy Denny left after this and Thompson only did one more.

Still an excellent album due to the musicianship and arranging of traditional material. Thompson's Farewell Farewell sounds like an old song with Tam Lin being the highlight for me. It was downhill after this and I have little interest in later output. Just off to play my pink rim which is a little noisy.

I'm Paul.

I do concur that this does sound gorgeous and is not just a folk album. Fairport added something unique to this music which never worked so well again. The addition of Dave Swarbrick on this album realy added to the musical palet with his playing and arranging. It's a shame they don't record albums as well as this today as it would make much of the new folk movement more listenable. I give it 4 out of 5 as I prefer Unhalfbricking.

I'm ChrisB.

Quote Originally Posted by Audioman View Post
    Just off to play my pink rim which is a little noisy.
    I understand that a dab of vaseline may help with this.

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    I understand that a dab of vaseline may help with this.
    I have some spare if needed.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Phnar, phnar.....

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Bunch of kids. I didn't even snigger at that. Ok, maybe I did!

What I love about Album Club is being "forced" to listen to something I wouldn't normally encounter. Second play - enjoying it, but it hasn't truly blown me away - without wishing to offend, this is the sort of music my mum and dad loved when I was a kid (this album was released the year I was born) so I guess naturally I wouldn't have been drawn to it, on that account alone. I will make some more observations after some further listening, but a good choice Brian - continued diversity, which can only be a good thing.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Just played my vinyl copy. Certainly liked the album when it first came out, though my copy was bought later (stampers are A5/B5).

As others have said, it was the first example of a genre that became known as "Folk rock", and probably the best. I preferred Fairport Convention to Steeleye Span and Mr Fox

I haven't played Liege and Lief for years, and playing it again has been interesting. Dave Swabrick makes a fine debut on this album, and as always Sandy Denny is superb.

However it didn't continue to remain that way: in my opinion Swabrick, on subsequent albums, 'hijacked' the sound and Fairport simply 'turned the handle of the folk rock machine'. I didn't buy any of their later albums and through my annoyance, rechristened Swabrick with a less than polite homeonym! (He later redeemed himself, in my eyes, with his playing on 'Quiet Joys of Brotherhood' on one of Sandy Denny's solo titles.)

But within the genre this album is as good as it gets. A good balance of folk ballads with up-tempo jigs with of course Denny's wonderful voice. I'm not sure the same sound would have been achieved had Martin Lamble not been killed in a tragic road accident and replaced by Dave Mattacks, but we will never know.

I'm not at all impressed by the recording quality. Denny and Swabrick are fine, Thompson less so, but the bass is poorly recorded: thick and lumpy, bass and kick drum barely distinguishable.

I prefer the earlier 'What We Did on Our Holidays' and 'Unhalfbricking', but we are discussing 'Liege and Lief'. Enjoyed it again, but perhaps not quite as much as I used to. Would like to score it 3.5/5, but I can't, so 3/5.
    Barry

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I prefer the earlier 'What We Did on Our Holidays' and 'Unhalfbricking', but we are discussing 'Liege and Lief'. Enjoyed it again, but perhaps not quite as much as I used to. Would like to score it 3.5/5, but I can't, so 3/5.
    Hi Barry, did you register your vote? I also gave it 3/5 yesterday, but there's still only one 3 vote showing at the moment...
    Cheers, Will

Location: Swaledale, North Yorkshire + The Valley of Longevity

I'm Toooldnowtogrowup.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    However it didn't continue to remain that way: in my opinion Swabrick, on subsequent albums, 'hijacked' the sound and Fairport simply 'turned the handle of the folk rock machine'. I didn't buy any of their later albums and through my annoyance, rechristened Swabrick with a less than polite homeonym! (He later redeemed himself, in my eyes, with his playing on 'Quiet Joys of Brotherhood' on one of Sandy Denny's solo titles.)

Barry .. not questioning your comments at all .. but just adding this for reference and possible listening ideas ... Did you ever hear Swarb playing with Thompson's superb replacement, Jerry Donahue, on "Fairport Live" recorded in Oz ........ they do an absolutely knockout version of Sloth ... ... Thompson is pretty hard to replace but Jerry Donahue puts his own stamp all over it with some mesmerising licks and Swarb certainly not going through the motions.

Also Swarb has toured forever on and off with Martin Carthy .. and the 2 of them together playing English folk ( which is MUCH harder to get into then Irish folk IMO ) make for an intricate and rewarding listening experience.

........... and I probably would have chosen "Unhalbricking" myself except for all the Dylan covers on it .. but having said that .. they are superb versions .....
    Brian
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Smile, breathe and go slowly ..........................

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast