+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Consistent Excellence - Bands That Keep Delivering The Goods

I'm Nick.

Default Consistent Excellence - Bands That Keep Delivering The Goods

It's been a long time since I came across a band that consistently delivered the goods, album upon album of truly fantastic work, albums where every track is unworthy of the fast-forward button. All the ones I can think of are long-gone. Floyd between 68-77, Caravan 70-72, Ozrics 1984-1986, Marillion 1982-1986.

A lot of the bands I like created at least one fantastic album, but then ran out of steam. Or a string of albums with a mix of good and bad in each. I love The Who's 'Quadrophenia' for example, so much I own it on vinyl, reel to reel, CD, cassette and have a pre-order on the multichannel SACD. But I think 'Tommy' is pants... it's infuriating to not find more Quadrophenia type stuff in their oeuvre.

I know it's horses for courses, but even bands you enjoy can be patchy. I'd be interested to see what 'album pairs' are out there. Truly magnificent pairings that are worth hearing.
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm ILOB.

Pain Of Salvation released 5 albums all diiferent but all of a high standard but another love hate band
    Nick Cave released a lot of consitant albums
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Andrew.

Dream Theater, Iron Maiden are two groups that I think fall into this thread.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm John.

Hmm, an interesting proposition at the heart of this: any band has one good album in them possibly
    There may be a lot of truth in the above. Just to spanner the whole idea it would be hard to pick a bad album from Robin Trower, The Beatles, The Dandy Warholes and I personally would extend the Ozrics to every album they've ever made including The Tape Era.
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

I'm Dave.

Nick drake only released 3 albums but all are good in my opinion and although not allways easy on the ear Frank Zappas output was of very high quality.
    There are of course many more IMHO like Surertramp and Steely Dan...

Unfortunately there are many bands like Queen where only the first 3 or 4 were any good they then became more mainstream and bucket 'o' shite. Which was a shame but somewhat enevitible I suppose.

Of course there are those who will dissagree with all of the above...
    In - Tweaked Lenco GL75, Linn Ittok, Ortofon Cadenza Black
    Through - Croft Micro 25 RS LS, power R monoblocks, RIAA R. Ortofon ST-80 SE SUT.
    Along - Tellurium Q Ultra Black cables
    Out - Harbeth SHL5 Plus XD's

Street photography

Dave

I'm Nick.

I found the Ozrics erred badly with 'Strangeitude' but loved their early 'Dovetail' releases. Strangeitude was too commercial for my tastes. Live, they kept their magnificence until 'Jumpin Jon' left. I do like 'Curious Corn' and 'Swirly Termination' of the later stuff.

I really like some late eighties indie stuff, the Sarah scene etc... some of those bands had one blinding single in them, often their first, then struggled to keep up the pace. Curse the vagaries of creativity!
    Nick
    My system...

I'm Andrew.

Egg from the 1970's canterbury prog rock scene only did 3 albums but they were all good.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Nick.

I love Egg. Even their 'odds and sods' album 'The Civil Surface' is fantastic.
    Nick
    My system...

+ Reply to Thread