+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Vinyl Grinders New Toy

Quote Originally Posted by pure sound View Post
    I know Erik of old. Very clever chap. I particularly remember one of his pre-amps.
    'kin ell!
    Guy do me a favour & try get hold of an e-mail address for Erik, he's moved back to sweden now...I can't get a circuit diagram for this amp...

Some top notch PSU caps & sprinkling od Audionote caps wouldn't go a miss...Hardly anything inside this baby..

Been Running this valve amp all day with Croft Pre amp..Bass responce is ripping my guts out to say the least....Problems..It's too much for me & the moaning wife...

I'm InSpace.

Interesting looking amp!

What make KT88's are you using? Best I've tied so far are probably Svetlana's, I'm using some Gold Lion reissues ATM but I don't think they're as good as the Svet's, I'll have to swap back sometime soon to check.

I have a spare set of Svet's too if you're interested in trying some?

Cheers,
    Mike.

Here's mine in action: (crappy pic though)

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/4872/p2161339pl6.jpg
    Last edited by Mike; 16-02-2008 at 19:57.

I'm Stu.

yUM yUM That looks really tasty

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Mike,

Looks nice.

Do you find the valve damping rings make much difference?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I think '6550' toobs might be in order.Or buy a pair of 'JR149's...I could do with a small pair of proper speeks anyway considering my surcumstances....What a farking life i got eh!.

I'm InSpace.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Mike,

Looks nice.

Do you find the valve damping rings make much difference?

Marco.
    Yes... and no

The EAT Cool Dampers make a big difference on the small signal valves, as did Pearl valve coolers, but they looked gash.

The Golden Dragon dampers on the 88's don't seem to do much on those particular tubes, they are very solidly built with pretty thick glass and don't seem at all microphonic. They're much more effective on more, err, 'flimsy' stuff.

The biggest improvement of all was changing the feet for RDC2 cones and RDC cups, Nordost Pulsar Points worked well too. This could mean nothing more than I have a crap rack though!

Cheers,
    Mike.

I'm InSpace.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyl Grinder View Post
    I think '6550' toobs might be in order.Or buy a pair of 'JR149's...I could do with a small pair of proper speeks anyway considering my surcumstances....What a farking life i got eh!.
    Hmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Shian7 View Post
    Hmmmmm
    Please do.Your witnessing an know it all going thru a crisis.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123