+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: hmm by stripping a PYE G63 could i use the valve amplifier

I'm Nobody.

There's a time where folk have to get off that Hi Fidelity horse & just admire the sound of these old boyz.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

If the Sonotone cartridge is intact, a new diamond stylus should be fine for it. The 8T model (a fugly red thing I think, which may be later than this player...) was highly thought of for its type, but like the 9T series, it was a flip-under and may have gone into the BSR UA15 the later transistorised? Pye stereogram used (I had relatives with one), long and slim in profile as this one seems to be.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Dan.

Hi,

well the clip that holds the stylus in place has snapped of and it look like the cart is fooked aswell and the stylus

Da
    Receiver
    Marantz 2225
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Marantz 6005 , Beresford Caiman , Paul Hynes SR4
    Turntable
    KAM DDX 1000 with Goldring G800 Cartridge
    Loudspeakers
    Mordaunt Short M10

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

OK.. The Garrard will work with a modern ceramic and I personally suggest you don't get a jap copy of either the Sonotone 9TA or Garrard KS40A. Both are too low in compliance, track at far too high a weight compared to the originals IMO and don't sound as good either, especially for the prices asked. The BSR SC12M (or H if you need more output) is surprisingly good, very well mannered and fitted with the single stylus it tracks well too. You ought to buy a vintage Garrard stylus pressure gauge too - one which can accurately set 4 - 6g downforce.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12