+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wrexham/North Wales/Cheshire record shop tour 2011

I'm OneOfTheSevenModsWhoToldMarcoNotToLiftHarry'sBan.

Default Wrexham/North Wales/Cheshire record shop tour 2011

The last couple of weeks I've been staying with Marco in Wrexham.As is usual, the hospitality and generosity shown by Del and Marco is second to none.

During my stay this time, we visited a few new (to us) record shops.First, Wrexham itself.

Moonlight is run by Bryan, who usually has some interesting and hard to find vinyl at extremely competitive prices.

The three Grateful Dead albums pictured were what I bought on this visit.

Moonlight also stock a great selection of CDs and DVDs.

The front counter.

Well worth a visit if in the area.

There is also another record/CD shop in Wrexham, but the guy's a twat and doesn't deserve the exposure.

Next up is Grey And Pink in Chester.

This is the shop we visit more than any other, simply because the huge amount of stock.

The chap behind the counter is Paul, very knowledgeable on most music, but especially prog.

Next up was a trip over to Frodsham in Cheshire. Marco was tipped off about this place by a forum member ( I think)

Rupert, the owner carries quite a large selection of vinyl, CDs and other music related items, mugs, books etc. The day we visited all albums were £5.00 or 5 for £20.00.

Last Thursday, Marco decided we should visit Beaumaris in Anglesey where we enjoyed some excellent fish at Neptune Cafe Bar.

Sorry for not taking the picture earlier, but we were starving.

From Neptune to Neptunes in Rhyl.

After hearing Rhyl get a good slagging, I urged Marco to take a detour back from Beaumaris and Llandudno through Rhyl and I'm glad he did. Driving through the main street we spotted this,

and of course we had to go in.

Another great find, and another wad of money spent. Paul the owner, has only been operating for 6/7 weeks, lets hope the business grows.

And honestly Paul, we're not dealers.

Last, but certainly not least, is Vod Music in Mold.

An absolutely fascinating place, and not only because of it's size. I think it's the smallest record shop in the U.K.

Colin, the owner (who I'm pleased to see has joined this site) also organizes record fairs in and around North Wales.

More can be read about Vod and Colin here.

On Saturday, Marco and I headed to one of Colin's record fairs in Flint.

Entry fee was a paltry 50p. There was a good selection of dealers, some offering rare vinyl at good prices, to dealers offering excellent condition vinyl at £3/£4. So plenty of choice for everyone. I managed to pick up an excellent 1st pressing of The Rolling Stones - Beggars Banquet as well as a 1st pressing of Hawkwind - In Search Of Space.

There are some other record shops in the area, but I think these ones are the best, with most offering good discounts for cash. More importantly, these shops had the friendliest of staff, and or owners.

All in all, an excellent 2 weeks of vinyl buying.

Once again, thanks to Del and Marco for suffering me for two whole weeks.

Last edited by snapper; 17-09-2011 at 10:16.
    ATB

David

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by snapper View Post

Hi Dave
    Did you buy the Writing On The Wall 'Power Of Pics' (Middle Earth Records) album in the window...brilliant Scot prog band, worth a lot nowadays?
    Last edited by Rare Bird; 20-09-2011 at 14:35.

I'm OneOfTheSevenModsWhoToldMarcoNotToLiftHarry'sBan.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Hi Dave
    Did you buy the Writing On The Wall 'Power Of Pics' (Middle Earth Records) album in the window...brilliant Scot prog band, worth a lot nowadays?

No I didn't Andre, never noticed it.

I did suggest they change their name to 'Cunning Stunts' though.

ATB

David

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

No I didn't Andre, never noticed it.
    S'ok, I'll be popping in later and snaffling it up....

Great pics, stoaterheid. There should be some more, no? What about Beaumaris Castle and some of the shots of the surrounding seaside?

Going into proper old-fashioned record shops is the best way to buy vinyl - none of yer soulless eBay or Amazon buying on a bloody computer pish.

You walk in with a wad of cash, pick up a ton of records, take them to the counter, and haggle a deal with the owner, and then walk out with some severe bargains!! Get out into the real world, flick through a physical selection of music and chat to interesting people. It's the way that music should be bought!

Always great having you down - at least you can't say that you haven't seen North Wales. Next year we'll do Manchester! You might need a new pair of baffies for that

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    S'ok, I'll be popping in later and snaffling it up....
    Be careful there's a medicore re-issue on Akarma Records..

Dunno if it'll be your cuppa tho
    Last edited by Rare Bird; 15-09-2011 at 16:53.

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by snapper View Post

I did suggest they change their name to 'Cunning Stunts' though.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

That's bloody done it!!!!

What's worse - having no dosh and living on the end of the line in sunny gentle Suffolk, or having no dosh and living "back home," with all those record shops around?????

What WONDERFUL places to spend a few hours browsing round. I hope you two bankrupted yourselves with all the vinyl you must have bought - you did buy some didn't you?????

My wife feels guilty dragging me to the Suffolk seaside, but she hates the rain and that's the main reason why Nth Wales is so green I reckon

Thanks for posting
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    What WONDERFUL places to spend a few hours browsing round. I hope you two bankrupted yourselves with all the vinyl you must have bought - you did buy some didn't you?????
    I think we managed to pick up a couple....

My wife feels guilty dragging me to the Suffolk seaside, but she hates the rain and that's the main reason why Nth Wales is so green I reckon
    What rain?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Be careful there's a medicore re-issue on Akarma Records..

Dunno if it'll be your cuppa tho

Noted, dude. I'll have a listen now!

Marco.
    Main System

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    What rain?

Marco.
    The copious amount of precipitation you get that we don't
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast