+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SME 309/IV/V arm-boards on SL1200

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

It's to do with the height, or lack of it on the Techies' platters. With modern headshells, even the SL1500 arm is set too high when using the supplied mat. With a Herbies PLUS the oracle mat, it's spot on and sounds quite ok to me The older SL120mk1 was fine as the plinth was slightly deeper I recall and I have a suspicion that the chamfer on the platter itself may have been a little steeper as well, but it's a long time since I saw, let alone used one...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Pete.

The Mike New armboard is definitely super heavy-duty and all-business.
    Coupled with his bearing/plate and platter my SME V has plenty of VTA adjustment.
    Hearing is believing

SL-1210 Mk5 w/Mike New Platter/bearing/armboard; Hynes SR5 DIY PSU;
    Zyx Airy3X; SME V; Hashimoto HM7 SUT; CJ PR15MkII Phono w/teflon caps.

Modwright LS36.5 Dual Mono Preamp & KWA 150 amp > Paradigm Ref 100 v.4s

I'm Ron.

Quote Originally Posted by gx502 View Post
    Just a quick question for any folks using a SME 309/IV/V arm on a SL1200.

Do you experience any VTA issues ? I mean any issues getting the arm low enough so that the arm tube is parallel to the record surface.

The reason why I ask, is that I am contemplating putting a SME-IV arm on my SL1200, but I am worried it may not work.

I have noticed looking at images of SME magnesium arms, with some of the popular carts out there e.g DL30x and AT33, that the arm is always at its lowest position in terms of VTA (I was hoping to use a MN copper arm-board (my deck has the MN bearing, but not the support plate), but since it does not have a recessed central section, I suspect it will not work.and this is where the arm board used is one with a recessed centre section).
    G'day Rav, I believe that Mike New uses an SMEV arm, and I would imagine with his own copper board, so there shouldn't be a prob mate buy a phonecard and give give him a call.
    Ron
    PS Recovering from the Rugby World cup beating Oz got from Ireland today

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

The SME mounting area is always recessed with these. I suggest you contact Timestep, as Dave does appear to have much experience with these two products and mating them successfully together...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Andrew.

The V has oodles of VTA adjustment, the V will work perfectly well with the MN tonearm board. I've got the baseplate fitted to the MN bearing and I could still put a stack of records under the V. The only problem you will have is with warped records where they may tocuh your tonearm when they are nearly finished playing through. But, if you set the VTA properly then that wont happen.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12