• 3 stars

5 14.71%
  • 4 stars

12 35.29%
  • 5 stars

15 44.12%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Album Club: 13.09.2011: Dire Straits - Dire Straits (1978)

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by griffo104 View Post
    I know when we came up with the idea of the Album Club was to listen and be critical of the album in question but if there's a band I hate more than these then I've yet to find one.

I'm not going to be voting as I just can't sit through anything by the band - and it would just muddy the results. Probably due to Brothers in Arms being so big when I was just getting in to music, I seemed to be about the only person who DIDN'T have the album.

The amount of bake offs I've been to and Telegraph Road gets played and I just get in to a rag, I can't help it.

also I think my cdp and turntable both refuse to play anything by this band (I can't even say their name with out adding an 'F' word in to the middle).

Actually thinking about it, I hate U2 much more than this lot.
    I think a lot of people hate bands simply because they became very popular and/or became standard hi-fi demo fodder. I agree a number of DS tracks have become overexposed and a couple of them now grate on my ear. However I love Telegraph Road and lets face it you rarely hear the whole track played on radio. My pet hate would probably be The Smiths but I merely dislike and ignore their music rather than post festering criticisms on Internet Forums. I will probably regret this comment when someone puts forward 'Meat Is Murder' as a Classic album pick.

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by Audioman View Post
    I think a lot of people hate bands simply because they became very popular and/or became standard hi-fi demo fodder. I agree a number of DS tracks have become overexposed and a couple of them now grate on my ear. However I love Telegraph Road and lets face it you rarely hear the whole track played on radio. My pet hate would probably be The Smiths but I merely dislike and ignore their music rather than post festering criticisms on Internet Forums. I will probably regret this comment when someone puts forward 'Meat Is Murder' as a Classic album pick.
    I would tend to agree with you, in general. It's very difficult to comment when something got so overplayed in my teens - and Brothers in Arms really was played to death by everyone it seemed at the time - that you end up disliking the band immensely.

Whereas I'll give a lot of music I don't like a try - the recent Tangerine Dream thread being an example - I just cannot get my head around this band or their popularity on hifi forums

Having said that I was 7 when this was released so had no concept of any impact the album had at the time. I will admit that is is the sort of music I rebelled against and I still struggle to understand the band's popularity now. None of their music appeals to me now and I've walked out of so many hifi demos at shows when I hear a track by the band come on.

Sometimes you just have to put your hands up and apologise for your prejudices and in my case this is one of them.

and for that I apologise

I mean come on The Clash's debut came out in 77 how can you compare the two ? Ironically not a week goes by that I don't p[lay a Clash album so it maybe shows where I'm coming from - even though I was just a nipper at the time and hadn't heard of either band until my teens.

funnily enough I'm no big fan of the Smiths either but there's something about Marr's guitar playing and the impact that had that forgives me Morrisey's girly wailings.

I'm Steve.

I do not mind Dire Straights, at least I think some of the early stuff is OK. On the other hand I personally think the clash are shite, as is the vast majority of punk 'noise' so I imagine it depends for the most part what you grew up with. Of course all this is personal opinion.
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by griffo104 View Post
    Having said that I was 7 when this was released

I mean come on The Clash's debut came out in 77 how can you compare the two ? Ironically not a week goes by that I don't play a Clash album so it maybe shows where I'm coming from - even though I was just a nipper at the time and hadn't heard of either band until my teens.
    This is interesting and it shows how much of our time we are. In 1978 I was 20, at university and the punk movement was in its swing. I loved prog rock and hated punk big time while nearly all of my friends went for it. I find most of it unlistenable even now that I've mellowed. For me, Dire Straits are far more listenable than The Clash. My opinion, my prejudices etc.

I'm Nick.

I have to admit, I don't understand the level of dislike for the band that is being shown here, I suspect much of the history behind that has passed me by. I remember it when it came out, and it was good then, and IMHO is still good now. I also remember London Calling coming out, and that was equally a great recording then as now. MK is (IMHO) a great guitarest, maybe not "one of the greats" but very close, and certainly up there with the best the UK have produced. And he is also very humble it seems, everytime I have read or heard a interview with him, he is always talks in the "ok, I can play, but you need to listen to that guy, he is the real deal" way. He also has a huge collection of vintage recording equipment he saved from destruction.

Maybe if they had only recorded the one LP and had not gone on to fame and fortune, the record would be considered by more as the classic it is.
    Nick.

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    This is interesting and it shows how much of our time we are. In 1978 I was 20, at university and the punk movement was in its swing. I loved prog rock and hated punk big time while nearly all of my friends went for it. I find most of it unlistenable even now that I've mellowed. For me, Dire Straits are far more listenable than The Clash. My opinion, my prejudices etc.
    I would have been around 17 at the time, and that period of music did tend to polarise people. I'd been into prog and rock beforehand, but going to see the Stranglers in '77 opened my eyes to some new possibilities too. I found it strange that people chose to be one or the other, just because I'd discovered something new it didn't de-value what I already had in my collection.

By '78 the original 'punk' ethos was to all intents and purposes was dead, killed by it's own restrictive limitations! Apart from the increasingly right wing, and laughable Oi! movement, it evolved into 'post punk', or 'new wave', a much broader church of new and varied ideas, and if you closed your ears off to that then it was your loss

As for the clash...IMHO The Clash didn't hit their straps until 'London Calling', not a punk album at all, prior to that I found their work patchy, some interesting stuff mixed in with simplistic Ramone style copies.
    Cheers, Will

I'm Nobody.

Last edited by Rare Bird; 14-09-2011 at 21:41.

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Diarrhea more like..
    ...get off that fence Andre
    Cheers, Will

I'm Keith.

I don't think the album had that much impact at the time.

I vaguely remember seeing it reviewed in NME/Sounds/Melody Maker and also in the Hi-Fi magazines. It wouldn't have interested me or any of my mates at the time who were all into either Floyd/Zep/Deep Purple/Yes/Genesis etc or were punks (including my mate Nidge Miller who was in a band - XS Rhythm - that later became Blitz - Lloyd Cole was also briefly in the same band...), so Dire Straits really fell into some musical no man's land for us.
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    Your selection raises a few problems with me. Do I get a lend of the album to listen to it ? (pleanty of mates have it)
    Will I just end up mocking it anf giving it a 1 on the poll or will I be totally neutral and listen to afresh ?

Or shall I just select London Calling next time it my turn and let you get your own back

It is funny how certain bands can produce such a negative (or positive) reaction in people.

I got in to the Clash around 85 or so (when I was 14) but ended up as complete metal head up until I was 20. I see London Calling as possibly the best British album - maybe another thread to argue over that - but as you can see the band were long gone by the time I picked up on them, at the same time you couldn't listen to the radio (or watch TV with that damned video) without getting Money For Nothing on it.

Under the rules of album club I should listen to it maybe.

Im no fan of electronic music but gave TD a listen when it was chosen but I never really knew about the band, tbh.

Oh the difficult choices I have to make (ahem)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast