• 3 stars

5 14.71%
  • 4 stars

12 35.29%
  • 5 stars

15 44.12%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Album Club: 13.09.2011: Dire Straits - Dire Straits (1978)

I'm Dave.

Have you ever thought of running for parliament John...
    In - Tweaked Lenco GL75, Linn Ittok, Ortofon Cadenza Black
    Through - Croft Micro 25 RS LS, power R monoblocks, RIAA R. Ortofon ST-80 SE SUT.
    Along - Tellurium Q Ultra Black cables
    Out - Harbeth SHL5 Plus XD's

Street photography

Dave

I'm Dave.

I had this album on cassette when I was a kid, played it to death on my Phillips cassette player and loved it so much I learned all the words.

Now I have a so called hifi system and hate it. What the hell has happened...?

sometimes I wish I could turn back time.

Since joining this forum I have become more and more disillusioned with hifi in general.

It seems unless you have a 1980's DJ deck with a plutonium tipped Unicorn penis as a stylus floating on a bed of blessed Buddha sperm, powered by pure silver spun bulls pubis and driven by a bank of genuine 1920s candles then you are deemed a disillusioned arse.!

Based on previous and current listening I give this offering a 4.

One of these days I swear I will sell all my hifi and buy a 1970s radiogram and return to the good old days...
    In - Tweaked Lenco GL75, Linn Ittok, Ortofon Cadenza Black
    Through - Croft Micro 25 RS LS, power R monoblocks, RIAA R. Ortofon ST-80 SE SUT.
    Along - Tellurium Q Ultra Black cables
    Out - Harbeth SHL5 Plus XD's

Street photography

Dave

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Thing Fish View Post
    One of these days I swear I will sell all my hifi and buy a 1970s radiogram and return to the good old days...

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Welder View Post
    Firstly, did anyone forget to very slightly open their mouths and slide their tongue against their cheek when reading my post?
    Mighty relieved to hear that, John. Sometimes body language just doesn't carry through. As you were...

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Thing Fish View Post
    driven by a bank of genuine 1920s candles
    Thanks, Dave, that's where I was going wrong. I've been using 1930s Edison bulbs

I'm John.

Dire Straits - Dire Straits. What a truly iconic album. Played by every* hi-fi dealer/show demo over the years. I love it and always find it a good listen. Why it is considered garbage by some is uncalled for, everyone has different tastes in what music they listen to.

John

*almost all
    Sent by me using an appendage

SME Model 15/V tonearm, Lyra Dorian, EAR Phono Box.

Luxman 509X amp.

PMC 25 23i speakers.

Innuos/Roon/Qobuz/I-Pad. Oppo UDP-205.

Cables by Kimber, Yannis and Audioquest.

Audioquest Niagara. Tube Distinctions Mains power filter. Project RCM. Zerostat.

I'm ILOB.

I have never really listened to this album before
    Mark guitar playing is a quite country inspired and he demostrates some tasty phrasing
    On the whole I find the album very hit and miss I have trouble enoying all the songs on this album and because of this I can only really give it a 3 for myself
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    Mine's the WEA Germany 180g pressing (A stamper both sides). I also have the original Vertigo 'spaceship' (06/03 stampers) but the WEA sounds very good indeed.
    Martin it is German press. Warner USA release though which they have pressed by Pallas.

I may be over the top for my enthusiasm for Dire Straits but MK is one of the guitar greats who generaly writes very strong material. The musical style may follow conventional styles (proper musical composition) but I still can't understand the hatred from those who prefer more experimental music which turns out to be a unlistenable mishmash that is of it's time and doesn't date well. MK/DS is timeless.

John, I did get the fact you were trying to inject humour into your post but it does come across as rather mocking music lovers like myself especialy as you will never see me in track suit and trainers and don't recal singing Danny Boy when drunk. If you don't like DS it is your perogative (loss) but as you admit you listen to all sorts of crap that myself and others would see no point in. It just seems so fashionable now (and since the 80's to be honest) to mock Dire Straits, The Eagles and Fleetwood Mac amoung others. All bands that I unappologeticaly like and am not embarassed to declare so.
    Last edited by Audioman; 14-09-2011 at 09:43.

I'm Simon.

I know when we came up with the idea of the Album Club was to listen and be critical of the album in question but if there's a band I hate more than these then I've yet to find one.

I'm not going to be voting as I just can't sit through anything by the band - and it would just muddy the results. Probably due to Brothers in Arms being so big when I was just getting in to music, I seemed to be about the only person who DIDN'T have the album.

The amount of bake offs I've been to and Telegraph Road gets played and I just get in to a rag, I can't help it.

also I think my cdp and turntable both refuse to play anything by this band (I can't even say their name with out adding an 'F' word in to the middle).

Actually thinking about it, I hate U2 much more than this lot.

I'm Will.

I think the only way for me to review Dire Straits/Dire Straits objectively is to cast my mind back to '78...I'm not a great lover of the band and what they became, but then again this is 'Album Club' and not 'Band Club'

This is the best thing Dire Straits did by some way, and although their countryfied AOR was not my particular cup of tea I still had a copy of this album on cassette.

At the time I found Mr Knopflers finger picking style to still be something of a novelty, and I'd not yet generated a hatred of the endless replays of the 'sultans of swing' on the 6th form record player.

I think this album reflects the band at their best and as they were at the time, a good tight pub/club band, with a particular country guitar feel (a bit contrived for a bunch of geordies but never mind). It also contains their most worthwhile tracks IMHO, 'Down to the Waterline' probably being my favourite (or least disliked ) Dire Straits track.

I'll not be listening to it again, as I know it too well, had it been any of their other stuff I'd have been straight in there with a 1, but for this album I'll go for a 3...there have been plenty worse debut albums than this, if only they'd stopped there
    Cheers, Will

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast