• 3 stars

5 14.71%
  • 4 stars

12 35.29%
  • 5 stars

15 44.12%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Album Club: 13.09.2011: Dire Straits - Dire Straits (1978)

synsei Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Thing Fish View Post
    It seems unless you have a 1980's DJ deck with a plutonium tipped Unicorn penis as a stylus floating on a bed of blessed Buddha sperm, powered by pure silver spun bulls pubis and driven by a bank of genuine 1920s candles then you are deemed a disillusioned arse.!
    Probably one of the funniest posts I have ever read on AoS

I own one of the "DJ" decks you mention Dave however mine is not a member of the Carlton Club set. It sports some modest but comfy slippers (VA feet), a Chav bearing and platter (standard and slightly battle scarred) and according to some, an arm that would make Noel Coward appear uncouth (an SME Series III). Despite these apparent handicaps it still makes beautiful music

As for Dire Straights/Dire Straights, it is superb as is the rest of their catalogue. I enjoy listening to DS and MK and I don't care who knows it, so there... 5 stars
    Last edited by synsei; 04-01-2013 at 05:33.

MartinT Guest

Thanks, both. Nice to see that some members are still trawling all previous albums in Album Club. Keep it up!

I'm Bob.

Bit of a thread resurrection, but though late to the party I have to say I love DS (even BIA).

I bought their first album at the time of release, as Sultans was the first pop track that had appealed to me since Sgt Pepper - I'd been going through a snobby obscure-classical only period

It was surprising to read the wildly differing opinions from folk here, and I think it would have been interesting to know how old people were in 1978. I was 25, so well over the hill, and the normal pop rubbish held no attraction (still doesn't). But if Dire Straits were competing for your listening with other "popular music combos" I can see how less than complimentary views could get formed. For me, it was a combination of MKs guitar style, the lyrics and the good production that got me hooked. I was playing my original vinyls of DS and Communique only the other day - they sounded great!

MartinT Guest

I was a mere 20 when Sultans came out and I thought it was a breath of fresh air after all that punk stuff I was going through at university (not all of it was bad, of course).

I'm martin.

i bought it when it came out by far their best work to date in my opinion. Tight 4 piece band.

Regards,

Martin

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910