• 3 stars

5 14.71%
  • 4 stars

12 35.29%
  • 5 stars

15 44.12%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Album Club: 13.09.2011: Dire Straits - Dire Straits (1978)

MartinT Guest

Default Album Club: 13.09.2011: Dire Straits - Dire Straits (1978)

I gave this some thought and decided on a band that everyone used to love to hate, or so it seemed. I never quite understood that, but then I came to them through this, their first album - not the later mega-selling Love Over Gold or Brothers in Arms. To me, Dire Straits is an outstanding first album, a fully fledged work that already showcases the skills of Mark Knopfler and the overall tightness of a highly skilled band.

Please listen anew and cast aside any preconceptions you may have about their later music.

Spotify
    http://open.spotify.com/album/3QEcBcqPmefFWd5ZrLNuDX

Wikipedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dire_Straits

Amazon
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dire-Straits...5603033&sr=8-3

No YouTube clips are offered as their later renditions of these classic songs are not what I would like you to listen to.

Further Listening
    Communiqué is in the same mould as the first album and, together, they define early Dire Straits, as distinct from their later period and huge success.
    Last edited by MartinT; 13-09-2011 at 20:22.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Ooo, nice pick Martin - I could vote now, but I will listen anew to see if my opinion has changed since my last spin a few weeks ago
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm John.

Couldn’t put that garbage on my hard drive.
    Sorry chaps but there is a limit.
    Anyway, I can’t vote because I certainly won’t listen to it again let alone buy a copy. Fortunately I know there's no point in asking any of my friends if they could lend me a copy because thankfully my friends have better taste.

I mean seriously, bad taste is forgivable. Owning a Dire Straights album isn’t.
    Taste is something you have by breeding, or you don’t.
    Men who wear trainers with suits, say pardon instead of what, use odd bits of the French language in an otherwise English conversation or text, and own Dire Straights albums must obviously exist but do we really have to put up with them in civilised company?
    I mean for Gods sake, we’ll be standing outside public houses after closing time, drunk and singing Danny Boy next.
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

MartinT Guest

You have every right to dislike the music and give it one star, John.

However...

Quote Originally Posted by Welder View Post
    ...are you serious?

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Welder View Post
    Couldn’t put that garbage on my hard drive.
    Sorry chaps but there is a limit.
    Anyway, I can’t vote because I certainly won’t listen to it again let alone buy a copy. Fortunately I know there's no point in asking any of my friends if they could lend me a copy because thankfully my friends have better taste.

Taste is something you have by breeding, or you don’t.
    Men who wear trainers with suits, say pardon instead of what, use odd bits of the French language in an otherwise English conversation or text, and own Dire Straights albums must obviously exist but do we really have to put up with them in civilised company?
    I mean for Gods sake, we’ll be standing outside public houses after closing time, drunk and singing Danny Boy next.
    You are entitled to dislike Dire Straits but honestly it only reflects your inability to appreciate serious musical talent and great production. You are obviously someone who is more concerned with what is currently trendy. I fail to understand the number of DS and MK knockers on forums who have probably never sat down and seriously listened to anything by MK other than perhaps 'Brothers In Arms' . The album in question here is far superior and was a revelation in 1978 being a success in the face of the Punk/New Wave trend. Dire Straits got me through the 80's when most popular music was a steady diet of synth pop.

Dire Straits self titled - Every track is excellent my favourite being Switch Blade Knife. Great arrangements and guitar playing which is superbly recorded. The best sounding DS/MK album. Must be heard on vinyl via original UK Vertigo Spaceship label or the recent Warner US pressing. Love this album.
    A classic. 5/5

I'm Steve.

I have a German pressing of this album, the labels are pressed onto the wrong sides. This however does not detract from the pleasure of listening at all.
    Steve.

Kit I have:
    CD player, TTs, Phono stages, Pre amps, Power amps, Integrated amps, DACs, Streamers, Speakers and a bunch of cables.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

I'm really surprised you would feel (and express) that, John - given that you like and play a lot of stuff (as I do) that most people on here would class as "garbage." Surely music is highly subjective, and whilst you may not like Dire Straits, (clearly! ) why aren't others entitled to, without being ridiculed?
    Last edited by Alex_UK; 13-09-2011 at 22:54.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Audioman View Post
    Must be heard on vinyl via original UK Vertigo Spaceship label or the recent Warner US pressing.
    Mine's the WEA Germany 180g pressing (A stamper both sides). I also have the original Vertigo 'spaceship' (06/03 stampers) but the WEA sounds very good indeed.

I'm John.

Hmm,
    Firstly, did anyone forget to very slightly open their mouths and slide their tongue against their cheek when reading my post?

Even if the, owning a Dire Straights album isn’t forgivable comment didn’t ring any alarm bells, the singing Danny Boy, drunk outside your local public house should have at least twitched the corner of even the most censorial mouth. If you’ve done some of the rougher London Kilburn pubs for example then you’ll know exactly where I’m coming from.

Next as Alex at least seems aware of there’s my own absolutely appalling lack of musical taste more than adequately demonstrated on these forums. I don’t think there is a genre of music that I haven’t been prepared to listen to, and much to the horror of many, enjoyed.

Then consider Martins obvious awareness that Dire Straights is a (I wont say band) name that gives rise to some considerable strength of opinion. Can’t quite work out the point of playing the indignant and offended card having acknowledged throwing the skunk in the room in the first place.

I personally couldn’t give a toss what others think of the music I choose to play. It would seem from the above that perhaps some of you might benefit from a similar outlook.

Oh yes, finally, it is absolutely true, I wouldn’t pollute my hard drive with this or any other album from Dire Straights but as I wrote, I don’t wear trainers with suits either.
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

I'm Keith.

Nice choice Martin.

Don't mind saying that I like Dire Straits (and have long since stopped caring about what anybody thinks of my taste in music ) and am of the opinion that Mark Knopfler is not only a great guitarist, but also welcome the fact that he always insisted on the highest standards of recording, production and mastering for their releases.

I have a nice "spaceship" Vertigo vinyl copy and the original CD and the SBM remastered CD (that doesn't cut 'Sultans' off quite so abruptly) and look forward to listening to all of these in the next few days.
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast