+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Outstanding digital components

Ed Meitner was/is quite the genius, and his Museatex Bidat was/is an amazing DAC. If you can grab one on the used market...do it. Then get the John Wright (ex Museatex) mod to "Super Bidat" status. $500 USD and worth every penny.

With the optional volume remote, there is no need for a preamp.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Kevin.

I'm Tom.

My nomination for the "best" digital component goes to . . . . . . . . [drum roll mode on] . . . . . . . [TING] the Genesis Digital Lens.

One of the few components I know that can turn a dog's arse of a transport and DAC pairing into something special. Very rare secondhand and I have the supreme knack of being totally potless when one does come up for sale

I'm Nobody.

Aye what do they fetch used Frank?

I'm Tom.

Not been many for sale Andre to accurately predict what they are likely to sell for.

5 years ago you could reckon on paying between three to four hundred smackers, the last one I saw for sale went for around six hundred and fifty.

Sorry, but any discussion on outstanding - or even life changing - digital components is completely missing the point if the thread contributors are unaware of the Gramofone Analog Convertor (GF02).

www.gramofone.co.uk

The Gramofone unit is the first commercial DAC in the World that has successfully implemented Asynch USB 2.0.

This effectively allows the unit to turn any PC World humble laptop into a Studio Master quality source, when playing Hi-Res files in Asynch mode with bit depth of 24 bits, and sampling rate up to 192 KHz.

The first production units will be available in about 3 weeks.

I'm John.

Oh please, give it a rest son
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

Of course, maybe a USB 1.1 device with oversampled, Delta-Sigma conversion floats your boat nicely. ( I assume the sun-glasses come with it for free )

I posted the GF AC information, for people on this thread people who are aiming a lot higher in terms of digital audio performance

MartinT Guest

For some of us a USB feed is irrelevant.

Martin T,

Face up to the fact that CDs and their plastic jewel cases - like mullet haircuts and shoulder pads - were just an unfortunate outgrowth of Western consumerist culture, which came and went and the people rejoiced throughout the land.

Do yourself and the environment a favour and start downloading your tracks. You'll soon get higher quality recordings and you don't have to pay for all the filler tracks, only the tracks you want to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by gramofone View Post
    Martin T,

Face up to the fact that CDs and their plastic jewel cases - like mullet haircuts and shoulder pads - were just an unfortunate outgrowth of Western consumerist culture, which came and went and the people rejoiced throughout the land.
    Your personal opinions are just that. The truth is however far removed from your opinion. Without the CD manufacturing and data storage development, many following inventions would not have been possible. At the time of the first consumer CD release, consumers were not able to buy a harddisk in the shop, and PC audio was limited to 8 bits. In fact, CD audio had already managed 16 bit playback before PC soundcards caught up.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast