+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Outstanding digital components

I'm Andrei.

Default Oyaide DB-510

I am a 'cables make a difference' man based on two experiences. One was a blind test I did on family members and the other was simply my own ears when I upgraded by digital co-axial cable.

I won't bore you with the long version of the blind test, suffice to say I had made my own speaker cable and compared it with Nordost Blue Heaven by generating some hi-res and CD quality mono files and connecting one speaker to my own cable and the other to the Nordost. My kids who have young ears pulled out a 100% and instantaneous preference for the Nordost. I myself (not blind) struggled to hear much difference but preferred the Nordost on two of the five tracks.

I ran a digital coxial cable from the soundcard (an upgraded ASUS Xonar ST) to the DAC. The cable was some species of Nordost co-ax. This time the difference in quality was blindingly obvious, even into my own 50 year old ears. The Oyaide DB-510 (don't say it: 'blind' and 'ears' are not metaphorically matched!) was better.

The single word I use to describe the Oyaide is 'Clarity'. A look at their website (home page http://www.oyaide.com/ENGLISH/index.html ) shows that they have ticked every box when it comes to cable design including my particular hobbyhorse that the quality of the metal is the overwhelming most important feature of any cable.

Incidentally most cable manufacturers love to bullshit about their particular technology ('poles of articulation' being the most spastic and my personal favourite) but one thing all good cable manufacturers have in common is good quality metal.

The punchline is this: It is expensive, as it should be. But wait there is more - it is actually cheap compared with overpriced rivals. Joynetmall for example (http://www.joynetmall.com/shop/produ...oducts_id=2611 ) list it at US$207 or a 1.3 meter length.

So as far as cables go that has been my path: I presently run Nordost Heimdall as speaker cable and most interconnects are by Oyaide. I don't really have an upgrade path.

I speculate that the quality of a a co-ax cable must be important (if that is your connection to the DAC) because of the load it is required to bear. 192 khz times 24 bits plus clocking information (plus handshaking? or who knows what) per second!.

So that is my recommendation. Oyaide DB-510 uber cheap in audiophile terms but top notch in quality if it can - and it did - best a respected brand.
    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Sources:[/B] [B]1[/B][/COLOR] PC & Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSDse   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]2[/B][/COLOR] Oppo BDP105   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]3[/B][/COLOR] Technics SL·1210 MK5 (Jelco 750D · Benz Wood).    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speaker Cable[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Nordost Frey.[/COLOR]    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Interconnects [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Oyaide[/COLOR][COLOR=black] & [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Geisha [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Silver.
    [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Phono Stage [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black]Fosgate Signature V2. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Preamp [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Ayon Eris[/COLOR][COLOR=black]. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Power Amp[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]ATC P1. [/COLOR]  ​ [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speakers[/B][/COLOR] Triangle Magellan Cello.     [COLOR=#A9A9A9]Oh Sting, where is thy death?[/COLOR]

I'm James.

Default Pioneer BDP-LX91

I know it's a Blu-Ray Player but it does sound lovely when playing Audio Discs too.

It's DAC PCB is just a work of Art IMHO. All the 8 channels laid out in perfect symmetry, each with it's own supplies for Digital and Analogue stages.

JC
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Stuart.

Andrei

This is not cheap, but not that expensive either:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_od...yaide&_sacat=0

they say to look out for counterfits, does this look real to you?

Also they have a cheaper version, did you try that?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oyaide-DST...item20d728f031

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei View Post
    I am a 'cables make a difference' man based on two experiences. One was a blind test I did on family members and the other was simply my own ears when I upgraded by digital co-axial cable.

I won't bore you with the long version of the blind test, suffice to say I had made my own speaker cable and compared it with Nordost Blue Heaven by generating some hi-res and CD quality mono files and connecting one speaker to my own cable and the other to the Nordost. My kids who have young ears pulled out a 100% and instantaneous preference for the Nordost. I myself (not blind) struggled to hear much difference but preferred the Nordost on two of the five tracks.

I ran a digital coxial cable from the soundcard (an upgraded ASUS Xonar ST) to the DAC. The cable was some species of Nordost co-ax. This time the difference in quality was blindingly obvious, even into my own 50 year old ears. The Oyaide DB-510 (don't say it: 'blind' and 'ears' are not metaphorically matched!) was better.

The single word I use to describe the Oyaide is 'Clarity'. A look at their website (home page http://www.oyaide.com/ENGLISH/index.html ) shows that they have ticked every box when it comes to cable design including my particular hobbyhorse that the quality of the metal is the overwhelming most important feature of any cable.

Incidentally most cable manufacturers love to bullshit about their particular technology ('poles of articulation' being the most spastic and my personal favourite) but one thing all good cable manufacturers have in common is good quality metal.

The punchline is this: It is expensive, as it should be. But wait there is more - it is actually cheap compared with overpriced rivals. Joynetmall for example (http://www.joynetmall.com/shop/produ...oducts_id=2611 ) list it at US$207 or a 1.3 meter length.

So as far as cables go that has been my path: I presently run Nordost Heimdall as speaker cable and most interconnects are by Oyaide. I don't really have an upgrade path.

I speculate that the quality of a a co-ax cable must be important (if that is your connection to the DAC) because of the load it is required to bear. 192 khz times 24 bits plus clocking information (plus handshaking? or who knows what) per second!.

So that is my recommendation. Oyaide DB-510 uber cheap in audiophile terms but top notch in quality if it can - and it did - best a respected brand.
    New System (so far): Meridian 506 CD/ALAC -> Unison Research Little Italy -> Spendor S5e
    Secondary system: Airport Express -> BeoLab 3 Speakers (still need replacing - too fatiguing)
    TV Room: Marantz NR 1504-> Usher S520/525 speakers
    Original System: NAD C541 CD Player -> NAD C340 Amp -> lamp cord -> B&W CM2 Speakers, Ipod/Itunes ALAC- secondary source

I'm PETER.

Default Victor xl-z999ex cdp.

My CDP that makes me feel sick if i think about NOT having it...
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by VICTORHEAD View Post
    My CDP that makes me feel sick if i think about NOT having it...
    I would love to have heard the Reimyo CDP 777 - which was based around JVC 20-bit JVC K2 tech - which has a similar look to the player you own.

Regards Neil
    Regards Neil

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    I would love to have heard the Reimyo CDP 777 - which was based around JVC 20-bit JVC K2 tech - which has a similar look to the player you own.

Regards Neil
    Inspiration for the AMR products perhaps...
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Andrew.

I shall dive in here and drag the thread down to my price point.
    Outstanding was the brief I believe and for £30 (prices have gone mental now) and half an hour soldering and chopping either of my nos modded Marantz CD50 were just that.
    The difference pre and post mod is just night and day, all becomes so "analogue" and chewy.
    I plan on getting a gen 1 cdp and doing this mod on it once I get back in funds, can't wait.

I'm Stephen.

Post 85 is quite entertaining.

MartinT Guest

...and tonedistribution.eu appears to be long gone.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    ...and tonedistribution.eu appears to be long gone.
    What a shame . . . I was quite enjoying reading his posts. Maybe he's made a million and retired
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast