+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Outstanding digital components

I'm gordan.

gramofone,

are you the one behind the new pedja rogic DAC?

thnx.
    Gordan.
    Speakers: Oris Swing MkII
    Amps: Thomas Mayer 300b/ Hiraga La Maison de L'Audiophile 20
    Preamp: Silver AVC by eng. Ferenc Lazar
    Phono Preamp: Shishido LCR by Solaja Audio
    Decks: Garrard 301 Martin Bastin reworked/plinthed with Fidelity Research FR64fx
    Garrard 401 in eng Ferenc Lazar solid wenge plinth with SME 3012/2
    Cartridges: SPU Spirit/ Koetsu Black revisited by eng. Salai/ Miyajima Shilabe
    Step Up Transformers: Tango MCT 999/ Ortofon T-5000/ Lumiere SUT
    Digital: Shigaclone by eng. Ferenc Lazar with Lampizator Amber II
    Wires: of sufficient length

Quote Originally Posted by anubisgrau View Post
    gramofone,

are you the one behind the new pedja rogic DAC?

thnx.

Actually it would probably be more correct to say that I am the front man for "Pedja's new DAC", with Pedja being the one behind it.

Pedja and I discussed it's H/L architecture. Once that was agreed, Pedja carried out the L/L design and testing.

It will be released in February 2011 under the name Gramofone HD Digital Music Converter.

I'm Alex.

I'm not convinced by the current fad for non-oversampling, analogue low-pass filters and obsolete 'NOS' d/a chips.

I can say that IMHO my current CD player / DAC sounds using Analogue Devices AD1955 DACs is better than any I have owned in the past, which contains pretty much every 'generation' of technology used from the Sony CDP-101 onwards, through Phillips 14bitx4 O/S, 16x4 O/S, Bitstream/MASH.

I think the Squeezebox Touch is a breakthrough device, and can be a very, very good digital transport. The SQ potential was validated by a friend who found that there was almost no difference between his Zanden transport and the Touch when fed into his Zanden 5000 Mk 4 DAC, any improvement probably being attributable to use of SP/DIF over the preferred I2S interface.

Regards,
    Alex
    Technics SL1210| Jelco SA-750| Benz Micro ACE SM MC| Squeezebox Touch/MCRU linear PSU | Cambridge Audio 851C | High Resolution Music Streamer II+ / Linestreamer+ | Raspberry Pi 2/IQ-Audio DAC+ / Max2Play | Conrad-Johnson ET3 Control Amplifier| Conrad-Johnson LP125sa KT120 Power Amplifier| Avalon NP Evo 2.0 Speakers| Cardas Audio Quadlink-5C Speaker Cables and Interconnects| Finite Elemente Pagode Signature E-14 equipment support

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexM View Post
    I can say that IMHO my current CD player / DAC sounds using Analogue Devices AD1955 DACs is better than any I have owned in the past, which contains pretty much every 'generation' of technology used from the Sony CDP-101 onwards, through Phillips 14bitx4 O/S, 16x4 O/S, Bitstream/MASH.
    The problem is that a lot of old multibit players are implemented quite shoddily quite simply because in that day designers didn't know how to properly work with mixed analogue / digital circuits, PCBs had poor ground schemes, shared digital / analogue supplies, horrible output stages etc. Drop in a multibit DAC into a modern circuit & the result is clear.

I'm Alex.

Hi Neil,

As mentioned above, I have listened quite extensively to what is supposed to be one of the very best implementations of the TDA1541A, as implemented in the Zanden Audio Model 5000 Mk IV with no oversampling. It did have an enjoyable sonic presentation, with plenty of zest, 'get up and go', and good detail retrieval but I also perceived a degree of roughness that was thrown into stark relief compared to the refinement and information retrieval provided by an SME Model 30 (well, it would, wouldn't it?). This was in a very high resolution neutral system that most would consider to be close to a state of the art or true reference system. Certainly in this DAC, the power supply, the output stage, PCB design and component selection is no-compromise and not cost constrained. I think that delta/sigma converters and high oversampling rates don't preclude good performance, and that they also benefit greatly from design attention in all of the areas you mention.

I suppose what I was reacting to the a rash of nostalgic, revisionist reinterpretation of the performance of kit that in it's day didn't really sound that good by modern standards, and the unjustified pumping of second-hand values of these pieces of kit. I was thinking in particular of the Sony CDP-101 that I am very familiar with, having owned one from new. I have read a number of hyperbolic reviews of it's performance, that IMHO are not realistic, without even taking into account it's terrible reliability!.

Regards,
    Alex
    Last edited by AlexM; 29-07-2011 at 17:22.
    Technics SL1210| Jelco SA-750| Benz Micro ACE SM MC| Squeezebox Touch/MCRU linear PSU | Cambridge Audio 851C | High Resolution Music Streamer II+ / Linestreamer+ | Raspberry Pi 2/IQ-Audio DAC+ / Max2Play | Conrad-Johnson ET3 Control Amplifier| Conrad-Johnson LP125sa KT120 Power Amplifier| Avalon NP Evo 2.0 Speakers| Cardas Audio Quadlink-5C Speaker Cables and Interconnects| Finite Elemente Pagode Signature E-14 equipment support

I'm Norm.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    In your experience, what digital components have really amazed you? It can be anything from a CD player to a DAC to an MP3 player.
    For me its the Lampizator Dac (levels 2 to 4). Very liquid, detailed and analog-like. A review of it can be found at the homepage of stereomojo.com

Before the Lamp., I had a Dacmagic 1. No comparison whatsoever.

I'm Norm.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    Same experience with Squeezebox Duet. Came home, took it out of the box, plugged it in, and without ANY prodding whatsoever, the remote asked me to enter the password for my wireless router. Next thing I know, I'm using the remote to browse my music library and I'm listening to my music while my lower jaw is firmly planted on the floor. The sound coming out of that dinky little plastic box was a revelation.

That day marked the life transforming journey towards the sublime sound. Next thing you know, I'm buying a pair of Magneplanar speakers. Then, I'm ordering Beresford Caiman DAC. Now I'm shopping for a kick ass power amp, and am eyeing the Mye stands for my Maggies.

The rest is history...
    I had a regulated liner power supply for the Duet built into my Lampizator Dac as the stock SMPS was just too dirty. The Duet receiver was also modded for SPDIF out. Thus it feeds the Lampizator L4 with a cleaner sound and its heavenly. I dont have Maggies though, I have Heil AMT Syrinx.

My amp is not too exotic, it's a NAD c375 BBE with the ROWEN Swiss Power (RSP) upgrade, which takes the Nad up a couple of notches. The RSP upgrade is 35% of the stock price.

I'm Adrian.

Back in the 90`s I thought Delta Sigma players had the most natural midranges and even some image depth (shock horror) when compared to Multibit which could only counterbalance with a tighter bass in comparison.
    Just repaired a Helios 1 - deserves classic status in my opinion.
    Bluenote Stibbert too - very natural and great soundstage.
    Last edited by Audioflair; 04-02-2012 at 21:57.
    "If I showed you a sunset would you agree or disagree with it?"

http://www.audioflair.co.uk

I'm Simon.

A mention for a CD/SACD player I've been using for a couple of months now ~ the Marantz SA KI Pearl Lite.

This produces a smooth, yet detailed sound, with a fluid presentation. I've had quite a few DACs (AS DAX, AN DAC1 & 2, Renaissance RD01, BM1, et al) over the past 1-2 years, yet this player tops them all, IMO.

This has the ability for two digital inputs to the player and has SACD capability. OK, SACD is more or less dead and discs are very expensive, but the sound quality can be significantly improved over CD. Of course, the digital inputs also allow direct comparison between using the SBT as a network palyer and the CD itself ~ but that's for another thread at some stage.

The player is well built, nicely designed and a real pleasure to own. OK, Marantz isn't a chic, boutique manufacturer, but if you can get past brand snobbery then well worth investigating. A great deal of player for not too much money.
    Lindemann Network Bridge > McIntosh MHA150 > Shahinian Larc speakers

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

I love Marantz KI players, (though I know my mate Dave (DSJR) isn't quite so keen...) and the one I have now was heavily praised by HFW in its time... so I've always lusted after the Pearl/Lite - nice player Simon.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast