+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The last piece to my puzzle - A NEW DAC - suggestions ?

I'm Kieran.

Default The last piece to my puzzle - A NEW DAC - suggestions ?

Heya everyone,

I Joined many many years ago, but have only just got into HiFi. So this is my FIRST real post

I am seeking a Chord 2qute or a Soekris DAC just to get me going but I’m open to suggestions from help from you guys !

Gear: Laptop > NEED A DAC > Exposure 3510 Integrated > Belden cables and high AWG copper cables > Dali Menuet SE mounted on B&W FS700 stands.

Best Wishes

K
    Last edited by kierankojima; 15-08-2022 at 16:31.

I'm Geoff.

Hi Kieran, if you seek specific items as shown, you may also find a 'wanted' listing for such in our Private Exhibitions section useful.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Lawrence.

How have you landed on these 2 options as I think they are quite different in design (FPGA Vs R2R). I'm not sure if the Soekris is also NOS.

I'm Gary.

They have a very different presentation, have you heard both? I recommend you do.

I’ve had both, the Soekris is still here.

There’s a Soekris 1421 and Linear Power Supply on eBay at the moment for £800, IMHO it’s a bargain.

Again listen to both if you can.

Gary
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Kieran.

Heya Lawrence

I’ve changed the listing title - I wanted just something to get in the ladder but I’m
    Open to suggests

The following also seems appealing !

MHDT Labs
    Audio note
    Audio mirror tubador
    Gear: Laptop > NEED A DAC > Exposure 3510 Integrated > Belden cables and high AWG copper cables > Dali Menuet SE mounted on B&W FS700 stands.

I'm Kieran.

Heya Gary

I thought the Soekris was only £800 new ? I don’t have space for the power supply so would need the the smaller version

I'm Andrew.

Can I just put forward that a Laptop is not the best quality source for digital files and even a Raspberry Pi set up as a Server / Digital transport would be very much better. My suggestion would then be to try some quite modest DAC's just to get you going and see what sound you get and how you enjoy or were it frustrates you . Once you know this then you can ask the more specific question of which DAC will offer me these upgrades from my current set up .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115489482...Bk9SR-ypzu3UYA

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165629135...Condition=3000

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265826884...Condition=3000

All of the above could be used with a Raspberry Pi with a digihat and the Musical Fidelity can be used with just a straight Pi using USB out . I would say that the MF option produces a really high quality source when coupled with a Pi 4 and they are quite small so would not take much room .

I'm Paul.

I agree with the rpi / dac hat route as the best VFM DACs out there. I've got an allo boss / rpi4 and don't see any reason to change it any time soon. These can be bought with a lego type outer case and then it's just a matter of loading an SD card with your software of choice. Volumio / Moode etc..
    Current system:
    RPi + Allo Digione
    Beresford Caiman Seg & Dorado powered by 15v Linear PSU
    Transcendent Sound Mini Beast OTL
    Amptastic Mini-1
    Klipsch KG4.5 Speakers with Titanium Diagphrams and Sonicap Cap upgrade
    110aH Leisure Battery powers the Mini-1 & Digione

Quote Originally Posted by Bencat View Post
    Can I just put forward that a Laptop is not the best quality source for digital files and even a Raspberry Pi set up as a Server / Digital transport would be very much better.
    I have to disagree about the laptop. They are not all equal but I am quite happy with a couple that I have tried.

I'm Stuart.

I have limited experience in these matters (higher end DACS), but I hope that doesn’t preclude me from supporting the above suggestions regarding the Rpi4.
    I’ve now set up four of these and still own 2.
    My main system has a Pi4 with an ALLO Digione Signature HAT, outputting to a Rega DAC-R. Previously, I’ve run this Pi with; Dragonfly Black, Dragonfly Red, Allo Boss DAC (Pi HAT), Schiit Modi 3 and a Schiit Modius. The DAC outputs to a Rega Brio.
    My second Pi has an amp HAT (on board DAC) and outputs 35 watts.
    To me, these are low risk options as there is little chance of me losing (much) money as and when I decide to move them on.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast