+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Audioplan Kontrast MkII's

I'm Peter.

Default Audioplan Kontrast MkII's

Hi all,

Thought I'd post a few pic's of my recent hi-fi set-up using a pair of Audioplan Kontrast MkII speakers, my Quad ESL 57's are stored away due to their size, but they do get out from time to time ok. The Kontrast's sound excellent with my vintage pair of Quad 11's driving them.

Presently off work due to a spasm in my back, so playing about with my Canon 5D Mk1 camera, here's a few photo's;

Quad 11's totally refurbed by Paul at Classique Sounds, fabulous.

Have this audio set-up for a couple of years now and loving it. Rest of my system in photo; Classe Audio 30 pre-amp, M.Fidelity M1 DAC, Sony JA50ES mini-disc, Audiomeca Mephisto CD transport, Squeezebox Duet & Boom.
    Peter McCullough Photography
    ------------------------------------------
    TRAVEL - EXPLORE - CAPTURE

I'm gone.

I heard recent model Kontrast speakers at the National Show a year or two back (Mk 7 maybe?) and was hugely impressed by the sound ... and a bit flabbergasted at the RRP! ... something like £8k for quite a small and fairly conventional looking 2-way floorstanding speaker? OK, it's a bit of an odd shape, and with separate enclosures for the drivers, but still ... but the sound did justify the price compared to other speakers at the Show.
    Very fast, detailed, dynamic, articulate, neutral, open. Very nice indeedy.

Must confess I am surprised those Quad amps can drive them, but I'm sure they sound great!

I'm Peter.

Hi Jerry.

Yes the Quad 11's drive the Kontrast's very well surprisingly, Kontrast's has slightly better bottom end control compared to my spare pair of 57's.

The newest Audioplan Kontrast version I would agree are VASTLY overpriced alright, crazy money actually!

I'd love to audition a pair of Audiovector M3 Super or Mi3 Super floorstanding speakers if anyone close to Stirling, Scotland has a pair at all..?

I'm James.

Fantastic setup and pictures there macvisual.

I have heard new Quad II with ESL 57 and they were a great match. I can only imagine that your vintage ones are as good if not better.

I'm Paul.

Nice and tidy system there Peter, good B&W images too, much more evocative..

I admire Audioplan products very much, I do have some of their interconnects thought in storage at the moment, but they do do something with the presentation that clicks that many others don't do. I've heard the Kontrasts and was impressed, and would like to hear the Konzert out of interest only as I'm happily married to my ML's, but would imagine they hit the spot musically too.. Welcome along, as Bob H would say..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Z:Axis Audio
    British made Cabling and High End Audio Support Systems and the New 'Symetrica' balanced Power Supply.

UK Distributor for Concert Fidelity Inc Japan & Aidas Audio Phono Cartridges
    UK supplier for: Z:Axis Audio; Concert Fidelity

Personal System:
    Mains - Symetrica by Z:Axis Audio - A game changer!
    CD Transport - Ayon CD-T2
    DAC - Ayon Stratos Refrence
    TT - Sony TTS 8000 /SAEC WE 506/30 / Aidas MC Cartridges
    Phonostage - RCM Audio Theriaa & Sensor2
    Pre - Concert Fidelity 080LSX2 & CLS050 Hybrid valve/SS ultra short signal path technology.
    Power - Concert Fidelity ZL-200 Mono's.
    Loudspeakers - Franco Serblin Ktema.
    Support System - Z:Axis Audio Grand Mirage 98.8
    Cabling - All our own; Z:Axis B52 Reference, Infinity Reference Digital, Livewire Loudspeaker & Xer0 Power Cabling.

Demonstration sessions welcome by appointment.

I'm Peter.

My Audioplan speaker interest/passion came to me around 25yrs ago whenever I heard a friends pair of the early Audioplan Kontrapunkt stand mounts, similar to these;

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

I see they are using decent sized reflex ports which result in pretty deep (front to back) enclosures, way to go imo... Can't say i have heard them but i don't need to bet that they'll have well controlled bass up to the limits of the power handling.

Nice design, lack of port chuffing & decent controlled bass should be the outcome...

Feck i sound like Yoda
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Peter.

Hi Rowlf,

Yes my pair of (refurbed) 1966 Quad 11 amps connected to my mint bronze Quad ESL 57's are totally magical, midrange to die for;

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Aye '57's are great, I used to have a pair many moons ago. Drove them with the WAD 300b pse's. A very nice match.

+ Reply to Thread