+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 459 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: Spinning Today (Classical version)

I'm afesteringvinylphile.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Biff - I must admit I'd love to hear that Bruno Walter Schubert 7 (well, actually more commonly known as the 9th I am sure!).
    Jump the pond and I'll have the missus cook up something!
    Lyrics are the ramblings of man, sometimes inspired by The Creator, most often, not.
    But music (melodies, harmonies, rhythms), that's God stuff.
    Always was. Always will be.

One of the biggest lies ever told was that only certain kinds of people should listen to certain kinds of music.

(silent) VINYL LP SLIDESHOWS

I'm gone.

Yesterday eve (once visiting friend had departed) ...

Stanford Clarinet Trio, nice & cheap on Naxos - lovely stuff. Stanford can be a bit bland, but this was nice - some very natural and lovely writing for the clarinet.

Elgar string quartet and piano quintet. Chandos CD. The piano quintet is a particularly fine piece, the string quartet I find a rather harder nut to crack.

Cyril Scott Violin sonata #1. Naxos. Interesting, & I think this will repay further listening.

I'm gone.

Zowee - a mega haul of classical LPs from a local charity shop where I do some volunteer work yesterday.
    ... I'm the classical LP expert ... so it's 1st dibs on everything!

Took home about 30 and am checking them out for eBay sale / selling in shop / buying them myself ... it's tough work, but someone has to do it.
    Will go back and pick up some more today.

All but one Minty so far.

So, to the point, yesterday's listening ....

Rachmaninov Piano Concerto #3 - Lazar Berman / Abbado / LSO on a 1977 CBS LP. I've not come across this recording before - fine performamce if somewhat light tonality in the CBS manner.

Bach - Well Tempered Clavier Bk 1 selections - Wilhelm Kempff DG LP. It's worth perservering with this - he sets off at a cracking pace, way too fast really. But once into the 2nd prelude and fugue he settles down a bit and the rest is pure unadulterated pleasure. No, not the choice for the original instrument gestapo - but hey, I'm happy enjoying both styles of music making! Very clean, pure and lucid - so maybe he's not far off current 'best practice' after all, albeit on a concert grand, but Kempff always had a light touch when needed.

Richard Strauss - 4 Last Songs / Schwarzkopf / Szell EMI LP. Surely one of the all time classic recordings. I find Schwarzy a bit affected and forced in places (this wouldn't be my fave interpretation of 4LS) but stunningly moving for the most part. I have a copy of this LP already, but this new one is totally Mint.

Debussy Images & Estampes. Arrau is tinkling the ivories on a Philips LP. Wow - dreamland, man. Superb.

Granados Goyescas - de Larrocha on piano on original SXL Decca LP. It doesn't get better than this.

I'm buying that lot.

Also listened to ...

Chopin 10 Mazurkas, Scherzo op. 31 Ballade op 23 & Prelude Op 45 - Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli (aka the Prince of Kool!) on a DG LP. Hmmm ... the playing is a bit too cool for me, and the LP has a few clicks and light scratches. Nope.

William Byrd - Psalmes, Sonets & Songs 1588 on a L'Oiseau Lyre LP. Very nice, and a wonderful recording and pretty much Minty ... but once is enough! I reckon this might sell well on eBay.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Nice haul, Jerry! That's defo one of the benefits of working in a charity shop... Let me know if you get any Clarice Cliff pottery in, 'Bizarre' design, (we collect it)!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

MartinT Guest

Richard Strauss - 4 Last Songs / Schwarzkopf / Szell EMI LP. Surely one of the all time classic recordings. I find Schwarzy a bit affected and forced in places (this wouldn't be my fave interpretation of 4LS) but stunningly moving for the most part. I have a copy of this LP already, but this new one is totally Mint.
    I have this on original EMI, too. I've never been persuaded by Schwarzkopf's performance despite all the adulation and Penguin rosettes etc. It's a bit straight laced for me. It'll take some performance to move me away from the Jessie Norman, which for me is the pinnacle of Four Last Songs and goes straight to the heart.

I'm gone.

Ah yes, Jessye Norman. Not at all bad - although I haven't heard it decently for years. I want to get a copy of the LP - the CD digital mastering simply shrieks on every system I have heard it when the lass lets loose.

MartinT Guest

I have the original Philips CD:

...and the 24/96 remaster:

I have to say the original CD sounds very good and she never shrieks, even in *that* moment during Beim Schlafengehen when she takes the roof clean off the house.

I'm afesteringvinylphile.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    ...even in *that* moment during Beim Schlafengehen when she takes the roof clean off the house.
    Ok, I'm sold. I'm going to have to find a copy of this and check it out.
    Lyrics are the ramblings of man, sometimes inspired by The Creator, most often, not.
    But music (melodies, harmonies, rhythms), that's God stuff.
    Always was. Always will be.

One of the biggest lies ever told was that only certain kinds of people should listen to certain kinds of music.

(silent) VINYL LP SLIDESHOWS

I'm gone.

Yesterdays classical tunes ...

Vaughan Williams - Job & Wasps Overture. Boult / LPO. Everest recording from 1959, recently transferred to CD (AAD). Very good performance, and the early stereo recording is quite spectacular, if with overwide stereo spread and a touch of rawness in the treble.

Ravel Daphnis & Chloe Ballet. Maazel conducting the Cleveland Orch on a Decca LP. The recording is superb, although I struggle to maintain interest in the music!

Schubert piano impromptus D.899. Murray Perahia, CBS LP. I don't normally empathise with Perahia's playing, but this rather bowled me over - I heard things in the music that simply weren't apparent to me before. Mucho impressed!

MartinT Guest

Schubert piano impromptus D.899. Murray Perahia, CBS LP. I don't normally empathise with Perahia's playing, but this rather bowled me over - I heard things in the music that simply weren't apparent to me before. Mucho impressed!
    I really like the Perahia Bach Goldberg Variations and Keyboard Concertos.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 459 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast