+ Reply to Thread
Page 357 of 459 FirstFirst ... 257307347355356357358359367407457 ... LastLast
Results 3,561 to 3,570 of 4584

Thread: Spinning Today (Classical version)

I'm gone.

Three impressive and enjoyable modern cello concertos

https://open.spotify.com/album/3JCbq...Tcm3FUqOPI9how

I'm gone.

Ohhh, boy.

Bach's Passacaglia & Fugue in c minor BWV582 - my favourite piece of music - as transcribed for orchestra and organ by Respighi.
    Magnificent is an understatement.

It's sort of a high brow Saint Saens organ symphony.
    The musical equivalent of Joan Bakewell back in the 70s and 80s - thinking man's crumpet.

https://open.spotify.com/album/6li0G...TSOOdUAO85xqJw

I'm gone.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

A few more charity shop acquisitions:

Beethoven – ‘Piano Concerto No.5 in E flat major’

Wilhelm Kempff (piano) Berlin Philharmonic, cond. Ferdinand Leitner

DGG 138 777 (1962)

Not sure I need another copy of the 5th piano concerto, but this is the version I have been wanting for some time now. Will need to compare it with that by Ashkenazy, Stephen Bishop, amongst others. Should be an entertaining exercise.

Chopin – ‘Etudes’ 12 Etudes Op.10 and 12 Etudes Op.25

Maurizio Pollini (piano)
    DGG CD 413 794-2 (1972)

To be honest I found much of the études boring. Well played, but they didn’t hold my attention.

Vivaldi – ‘Le Quattro Sagioni’

The Academy of Ancient Music, director Christopher Hogwood
    L-Oiseau-Lyre 410 126-2 (1983)

I don’t really need yet another copy of the Four Seasons, but I couldn’t let this go as I’m a fan of performances using authentic instruments. I would place this as my third favourite after that by the Drottningholm Baroque Ensemble (on Bis) and Neville Marriner and the Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields (on Decca Argo)

Miloš – ‘The Guitar’

Music by: Albéniz, Tárrega, Domeniconi, Theodorakis Llobet and Granados.
    Miloš Karadaglić, guitar

DGG CD 477 9693 (2011)

Maybe not yet in the same league as Segovia, Julian Bream or John Williams, but Miloš Karadaglić looks like someone to watch. Very relaxing - and not too taxing.
    Last edited by Barry; 19-06-2018 at 20:30. Reason: addition
    Barry

I'm gone.

"This" I said to myself as track 3 got underway "is brilliant!"

https://open.spotify.com/album/5fzfj...QeqRaDFTptoIQw

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    "This" I said to myself as track 3 got underway "is brilliant!"

https://open.spotify.com/album/5fzfj...QeqRaDFTptoIQw

It's said that J. S. Bach walked 300 miles to hear Buxtehude play.
    Barry

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    It's said that J. S. Bach walked 300 miles to hear Buxtehude play.
    He did, and got fired from his first job for overstaying in Lubeck. Although you can hear the heavy influence of Buxtehude on Bach's early cantatas (BWV 106 Gottes Zeit ist die allerbeste sounds more like Buxtehude than Bach) he probably wasn't just there for the music ... it was the custom back then that aspiring organists/kapelmeisters had to marry the daughter of their predecessor. Quite a few made the trip to audition, but legend has it the Buxtehude's daughter was particularly ugly so the post struggled to be filled ....

Anyway - really nice find Jerry, this is a great disk.

Can't say the same about the solo violin though, I'd rather have my fingernails pulled out that listen to a whole record of the solo partitas, whoever is playing.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Right now this, before bed:

Rather lovely to wind to after a hectic day [not]

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

A few more charity shop vinyl finds:

John Williams – ‘Plays Paganini’

Paganini: Caprice No.24
    Paganini: Sonata in A major
    Paganini: Terzetto For Violin, Cello & Guitar
    Giuliani: Variations on a Theme by Handle

John Williams, guitar Alan Loveday, violin Amaryllis Fleming, cello

CBS 73745 (1978)

Mendelssohn - ’Symphony No.1 in C major’ and Schubert – ‘Symphony No.1 in D major’

The Cleveland Orchestra, cond. Louis Lane
    CBS 61134 (1968)

Vaughan Williams – ‘Fantasia on Greensleeves, Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis, English Folk Song Suite’

Vienna State Opera Orchestra, cond Sir Adrian Boult

The World Record Club T 391 (1965)

Beethoven –‘Sonata No.14 in C sharp minor, Op.27, No.2 (“Moonlight”); Sonata No.8 in C minor, Op.13 (“Pathetique”) and Sonata No.23 in F minor, Op.57 (“Appassionata”)

Joseph Cooper, piano

The World Record Club TP 22 (1959)
    Last edited by Barry; 30-06-2018 at 21:57.
    Barry

Lang Lang – ‘Dragon Songs’

I’m not at all sure about this modern re-working of a 1940’s propaganda composition: the “Yellow River piano Concerto”. Lang Lang’s so-called virtuosity wrings out any subtlety that might have originally existed. I’m with Frank Graves (commenting on Amazon):

This album may be important musicologically or culturally as documentation of trends in Chinese music, but the pieces are extremely trite and unsatisfying. The Yellow River Concerto is drenched in propagandistic tones of happiness and heroism, with no depth and excessive bombast throughout. It sounds like a bad satire on both Ferde Grofe and Liszt. Even the more attractive melodies are never developed with any thematic continuity, and the trite, obvious decorations of pounding chords or ecstatic runs in the piano or harp are intolerable after a few minutes. The dragon songs are little better. They sound like etudes written to give Chinese children a politically acceptable introduction to western music. Again, there is no depth, no poignancy. Even in Lang Lang's expressive hands, the piano does not prove to be a hospitable vehicle for the tonality of Chinese music. The most successful aspects of the album are the last three songs, in which he is accompanied by traditional instruments -- and they are far more compelling than he is. All in all, a must-skip album, unless you are doing doctoral research on Chinese piano compositions.

DGG 477 6229 (2006)

Erik Satie –‘Jack in the Box and Other Favourites’

Do I need another ‘Best of Erik Satie’? I thought not until I found this – and have to say I found Angela Brownridge’s playing insightful and made me realise how much of a pioneer Satie was.

EMI Eminence CD-EMX 9507 (1985)

Delius – ‘Orchestral Works’

[1] The Walk to the Paradise Garden

[2] Intermezzo and Serenade from ‘Hassan’

[3] A Song before Sunrise

[4] Intermezzo from ‘Fennimore and Gerda’

[5]On Hearing the First Cuckoo in Spring

[6] Summer Night on the River

[7] Air and Dance

[8] La Calinda from ‘Koanga’

Academy of St Martin-in-the-Fields, cond. Neville Marriner

Decca London 4210390-2 (1979)