+ Reply to Thread
Page 291 of 459 FirstFirst ... 191241281289290291292293301341391 ... LastLast
Results 2,901 to 2,910 of 4584

Thread: Spinning Today (Classical version)

I'm Jo.

Default Count Giacinto Scelsi di Ayala Valva

Works for Double Bass by Giacinto Scelsi (1905-1988)

51tmpBfiXeL.jpg

I'm Jo.

Default Wagner in English?

I thought I'd try Goodall's Ring Cycle in English and began with the Chandos CD set of Siegfried - an appalling, brightly lit CD that was painful to listen to, put me off for a while. I recently saw the whole EMI cycle on vinyl for sale on e-bay, a massy box comprising 20 LPs, and decided to buy...

Attachment 17117

Starting off this morning with Siegfried again, I'm not wholly convinced - it is so very peculiar to hear Wagner in English - but I will do my best to try to enter Goodall's world and see what happens over time.

I'm gone.

I'm gone.

I'm gone.

A "re-imagining" of Gorecki's famous 3rd symphony

https://open.spotify.com/album/0SnAsW09FjjOYZ2oHYliyL

From the Amazon description ...

Product Description
    Colin Stetson is an American saxophonist and multireedist who has collaborated with an number of influential indie rock acts such as Arcade Fire, Bon Iver and Bell Orchestre. This new release 'SORROW', led by Stetson, is a reimagining of Henryk Górecki's most famous piece, performed by a 12-piece band including Arcade Fire's Sarah Neufeld, Saltland's Rebecca Foon, Greg Fox of Liturgy, Megan Stetson and more and recorded in 2015 in Brooklyn, New York. "We all have those moments when we experience a piece of music that transforms us, and this was one of those moments for me," says Stetson. "Over the years, I went on to listen to this record countless times, always determined to absorb every instance of it, to know it throughout and fully. And this dedication to a thorough knowledge of the piece eventually gave way to a need to perform it." "The concept was simple, and true to the original score. I haven't changed existing notation, but rather have worked with altering instrumentation, utilizing a group consisting heavily of woodwinds, synthesizers, and electric guitars... The arrangement draws heavily from the world of black metal, early electronic music, and from my own body of solo saxophone music. The result is an intact rendition of Henryk Górecki's 3rd Symphony, though one which has been filtered through the lens of my particular musical aesthetic and experience."

I'm gone.

Back to Saint Saens' 2nd piano concerto - again! It's fast becoming my favourite.
    This one a superb performance by Dubravka Tomsic with Anton Nanut doing his usual superb conducting.

It's probably sexist to say this, but Tomsic plays like a man here. Immensely powerful and bold playing where required.

https://open.spotify.com/album/1zotz9ER68NUGqp1yDqUaB

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Back to Saint Saens' 2nd piano concerto - again! It's fast becoming my favourite.
    This one a superb performance by Dubravka Tomsic with Anton Nanut doing his usual superb conducting.

It's probably sexist to say this, but Tomsic plays like a man here. Immensely powerful and bold playing where required.

https://open.spotify.com/album/1zotz9ER68NUGqp1yDqUaB
    Jerry

You have tempted me to try Spotify keep seeing the interesting stuff you post on here and they have a 99p offer on so gave it a go
    Was a bit unsure whether it would work with Linux and if I had enough bandwidth to stream to get it sounding ok
    So far its sounding good and working fine
    took a while to work out how to play your links from this thread
    Not sure if I can afford the full price subscription but I think I will get my moneys worth for three months at 99p

I'm gone.

^ Thanks for the encouragement, David.

It's no exaggeration to say that Spotify has revolutionised the way I listen to music.
    Such a vast catalogue just a few clicks away. And the search engine facilities are quirky enough to throw up all sorts of interesting surprises, which is a great way to explore new music and new performances.

As for the expense, it is saving me £hundreds a year!
    I used to budget (and spend) £50 a month on new CDs - often enough used ones from Amazon, so I got quite a lot, but still £50/month.

I now spend £10 a month on Spotify and barely any on CDs.
    Win !!

Everyone has their own way of budgeting for the hobby, but Spotify works for me.

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    ^ Thanks for the encouragement, David.

It's no exaggeration to say that Spotify has revolutionised the way I listen to music.
    Such a vast catalogue just a few clicks away. And the search engine facilities are quirky enough to throw up all sorts of interesting surprises, which is a great way to explore new music and new performances.

As for the expense, it is saving me £hundreds a year!
    I used to budget (and spend) £50 a month on new CDs - often enough used ones from Amazon, so I got quite a lot, but still £50/month.

I now spend £10 a month on Spotify and barely any on CDs.
    Win !!

Everyone has their own way of budgeting for the hobby, but Spotify works for me.
    Looking at whats available £10 a month is really a bargain
    Have to watch the pennies have been off work ill for nearly four years
    Been trying to collect the Bernsteins DG Mahler with the Erte covers on CD never got the 9th far too expensive
    the LPs are stupid money
    Love those Erte pictures

https://open.spotify.com/album/1TmFpcJ2UGI55Mh0yqpdJl

I'm gone.

Ah, sorry to hear about your health issues, David.

Just been looking at prices for the Bernstein Mahler 9th on Amazon and eBay -- crazy !! CDs start at over £20 used, and the LPs seem to sell for £100s.

Do you know about www.camelcamelcamel.com ?
    You can set a watch for a particular CD on Amazon and it will send you an email if something comes up at or below your target price.
    The site is a bit fiddly to use, but you get the hang of it!

+ Reply to Thread