+ Reply to Thread
Page 340 of 343 FirstFirst ... 240290330338339340341342 ... LastLast
Results 3,391 to 3,400 of 3421

Thread: Spinning Today (Classical version)

I'm Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I like the sound of that, so just ordered it from Amazon.

Do I take it from your pun that you are not keen on Glen Gould's interpretation?
    Far from it though a little goes a long way ... I think Gould's idiosyncratic approach has its merits and certainly its fans, it's brought a lot of people to this music who might otherwise have never had it come up on their radar, leading them on to explore further.

What I meant was that it's the opposite of Gould's dry, intellectual (though still passionate) presentation, it's a big, bold sound-scapey performance (as indeed is the other one that Jerry found - I hadn't been aware of that) where unlike in Gould's version, it's impossible to be conscious of ever note, just as you can't be in a piece of Chopin or Liszt.

I first heard this in a record, CD and new-agey tat shop in a small town in the Nordheide south of Hamburg. The aria came on and I set myself a task to see if I could figure out whose it was. When the first variation came on I was completely flummoxed by all the extra notes, then captivated, and I just had to come home with a copy (in fact, the CD that had been playing as they only had the one).
    Main: Speakers 'RFC' Tannoy Canterburys / custom crossovers; Amp - Radford STA100; Pre EAR 912; Vinyl: Thorens TD124 MkII + Ikeda IT345-CR1 / Ortofon 309 Limited tonearms; Cartridges Stereo - Miyajima Madake, Ortofon SPU Royal N + Shure M3D Jico stylus; Mono - Miyajimas - Zero 0.7, Premium 1.0 retipped by Ana Mighty Sound bamboo cantilever, Spirit '78' 3.0 conical from Ana, also vintage GE VRII, Shure M44 strapped for mono with several Expert Stylus conicals for different eras of 78s; Phono stage and SUT from EAR 912; Esoteric Sound Re-Equalizer for equalisation of early mono and 78, switchable in from tape loop; Digital: Audio Note CDT2/II transport, heavily modded AN Kit DAC + Mutec MC3+USB.

Study: Speakers - Tannoy DC6; Amp: Duncan 'Tuberhunter' 200w class D; preamp - Pass DCB1; Vinyl: Garrard 401 with AT1503 tonearm and vintage SPU-GE; SUTs - Ortofon 2-15k & Bob's Devices; Phono Stage: Schiit Mani; Digital - Trichord Genesis III CDP + Arcam rBlink; Schiit Multibit DAC.

I'm Tony.

This is a very interesting take by a living composer of the Goldbergs - not on Spotify unfortunately as it's Hyperion....

I'm Jerry.

I find Reger quite difficult.
    This is by far my favourite music by him that I have heard - solo violin sonatas - superb sq here, too.
    I've had the CD for decades, and now on Spot.

Review - https://www.gramophone.co.uk/review/...violin-sonatas

https://open.spotify.com/album/0zdpn71sqXHV6PbjhF6d9J

Jerry

Spotify Premium streaming, Laptop / Halide Bridge, Auralic Vega DAC/pre, Arkless buffer, >>amp de jour<<, MBL 116F.

Amps:
    Firebottle AIR
    LA Audio A30 el84 integrated
    Wadia 151 PowerDAC
    Trigon TRE 50 Monoendstufen << Currently playing

I'm Tom.

Nice one Jerry I like this.
    Main: Speakers 'RFC' Tannoy Canterburys / custom crossovers; Amp - Radford STA100; Pre EAR 912; Vinyl: Thorens TD124 MkII + Ikeda IT345-CR1 / Ortofon 309 Limited tonearms; Cartridges Stereo - Miyajima Madake, Ortofon SPU Royal N + Shure M3D Jico stylus; Mono - Miyajimas - Zero 0.7, Premium 1.0 retipped by Ana Mighty Sound bamboo cantilever, Spirit '78' 3.0 conical from Ana, also vintage GE VRII, Shure M44 strapped for mono with several Expert Stylus conicals for different eras of 78s; Phono stage and SUT from EAR 912; Esoteric Sound Re-Equalizer for equalisation of early mono and 78, switchable in from tape loop; Digital: Audio Note CDT2/II transport, heavily modded AN Kit DAC + Mutec MC3+USB.

Study: Speakers - Tannoy DC6; Amp: Duncan 'Tuberhunter' 200w class D; preamp - Pass DCB1; Vinyl: Garrard 401 with AT1503 tonearm and vintage SPU-GE; SUTs - Ortofon 2-15k & Bob's Devices; Phono Stage: Schiit Mani; Digital - Trichord Genesis III CDP + Arcam rBlink; Schiit Multibit DAC.

I'm Jerry.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Nice one Jerry I like this.
    Yep, he seems to have shrugged off his fearsome technical formality (which is how I hear much of his music) and is just having some post-Bachian fun, just reveling in making beautiful music.
    Jerry

Spotify Premium streaming, Laptop / Halide Bridge, Auralic Vega DAC/pre, Arkless buffer, >>amp de jour<<, MBL 116F.

Amps:
    Firebottle AIR
    Wadia 151 PowerDAC

I'm Tony.

A bit of unashamed Romanticism here, longings of old Vienna...

I'm Jerry.

this is joyous music to cheer a cold dank morning

https://open.spotify.com/album/7dlLDBENikDh3uBjY1AvGG

Jerry

Amps:
    Firebottle AIR
    Wadia 151 PowerDAC

I'm Tom.

Can't beat a theorbo for a proper baroque rhythm section!

Gave this a spin tonight on CD, very interesting ... about as un-authentic, non-original, plain 'wrong' a performance as you'll find - in fact I thought playing Gibbons on the piano was probably made a criminal offence around 1975 or thereabouts - but somehow quite captivating.

https://open.spotify.com/album/5t97rqYPcAOutsoycbN8Px

I'm Jerry.

Tsk tsk - I am deeply shocked - your old music professors will be turning in their graves, assuming they are now in them.
    You'll be listening to the Goldbergs played on an accordion next, Tom.

Ooo, I do enjoy a bit of Turina chamber music now and then. It's got a nicely 20th century edge to it, but still full of melody and sumptuous textures.

https://open.spotify.com/album/2WP8f54wLsxfcNfKrueB6F

Jerry

Amps:
    Firebottle AIR
    Wadia 151 PowerDAC

I'm Jerry.

These are wonderful cello-like pieces - I'll commit heresy and put them on a par with Bach's cello suites.

https://open.spotify.com/album/1NfiSOpUUyyTKHDiUFDOvi

Jerry

Amps:
    Firebottle AIR
    Wadia 151 PowerDAC

+ Reply to Thread