+ Reply to Thread
Page 339 of 353 FirstFirst ... 239289329337338339340341349 ... LastLast
Results 3,381 to 3,390 of 3524

Thread: Spinning Today (Classical version)

I'm Tony.

Investigating Schnittke: always liked the symphonies and chamber, but this was new to me

I'm Jerry.

Schnittke - yep, love some of his music, have yet to come to terms with some.
    Choir concertos and piano concertos are my favourite, I think.
    ____

Beautifully mysteriously haunting ...
    Two violin concertos.

https://open.spotify.com/album/54wy9c9jttuQ7hXQOWaC4X

[img]
    Last edited by jandl100; 06-01-2018 at 19:53.
    Jerry

Qobuz Hifi / Spotify Premium streaming, Xiang Sheng DAC-01A (WE valve), Schiit Saga passive preamp, Trigon TRE 50 monoblocks, MBL 116F.

Cables: Wireworld Starlight USB, Ixos Ixotica i/c, W&M speaker cables, Belden 19364 mains cables

I'm Tony.

This is also worth seeking out - ECM have done Kancheli proud !

I'm Jerry.

Quote Originally Posted by basslover View Post
    This is also worth seeking out - ECM have done Kancheli proud !

Aha , found it.
    it has a different cover on spotify and amazon ...

5.0 out of 5 stars
    Stunning!
    By A customeron 21 March 1999 - Published on Amazon.com
    For those who have grown weary of the accepted wisdoms of classical music through the ages and the one-dimensional, dynamically compressed nature of most contemporary music, Giya Kancheli's compositions are a breath of fresh air. The music swings from barely-there echoes from the netherworld to visceral blasts of unrestrained passion.

https://open.spotify.com/album/552MhYMPmL4Mi0X5Sm7bJk
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trauerfarbe...words=Kancheli
    Jerry

Qobuz Hifi / Spotify Premium streaming, Xiang Sheng DAC-01A (WE valve), Schiit Saga passive preamp, Trigon TRE 50 monoblocks, MBL 116F.

Cables: Wireworld Starlight USB, Ixos Ixotica i/c, W&M speaker cables, Belden 19364 mains cables

I'm Jerry.

Jerry

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Variations and Fugue on a Theme by Telemann, Op.134 and Variations and Fugue on a Theme by Handel, Op.24

Jorge Bolet, piano

Decca SXL 6969, 1981.
    Have you listened to this month's choice in the Album Club?

Barry

The only Kancheli I have listened to has been 'Little Imber':

Interesting, but it hasn't so far turned me into a Kancheli fan. Ought to listen to some more!

Oh, and 'Themes from the Songbook':

Perhaps I ought to try some of his symphonic works. What would you recommend?
    Last edited by Barry; 07-01-2018 at 15:26. Reason: Addition

Barry

I'm Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Variations and Fugue on a Theme by Telemann, Op.134 and Variations and Fugue on a Theme by Handel, Op.24

Jorge Bolet, piano

Decca SXL 6969, 1981.
    I played quite a bit of Reger in the days when I was forced to learn modern stuff (mainly for exams) alongside my usual renaissance, baroque and classical fare. Enjoyable stuff.

Just reminded me to dig out Rheinberger/Reger arrangement for two pianos of the Goldbergs. For non-fans of the Gouldberg versions this is the perfect antidote.

https://open.spotify.com/album/7xHdY82drUKmgh2xUgpyMI

The Aria is fairly conventional but it soon moves into its own world ...

Main: Speakers 'RFC' Tannoy Canterburys / custom crossovers; Amp - Radford STA100; Pre EAR 912; Vinyl: Thorens TD124 MkII + Ikeda IT345-CR1 / Ortofon 309 Limited tonearms; Cartridges Stereo - Miyajima Madake, Ortofon SPU Royal N + Shure M3D Jico stylus; Mono - Miyajimas - Zero 0.7, Premium 1.0 retipped by Ana Mighty Sound bamboo cantilever, Spirit '78' 3.0 conical from Ana, also vintage GE VRII, Shure M44 strapped for mono with several Expert Stylus conicals for different eras of 78s; Phono stage and SUT from EAR 912; Esoteric Sound Re-Equalizer for equalisation of early mono and 78, switchable in from tape loop; Digital: Audio Note CDT2/II transport, heavily modded AN Kit DAC + Mutec MC3+USB.

Study: Speakers - Tannoy DC6; Amp: Duncan 'Tuberhunter' 200w class D; preamp - Pass DCB1; Vinyl: Garrard 401 with AT1503 tonearm and vintage SPU-GE; SUTs - Ortofon 2-15k & Bob's Devices; Phono Stage: Schiit Mani; Digital - Trichord Genesis III CDP + Arcam rBlink; Schiit Multibit DAC.

I'm Jerry.

Interesting!
    Playing this one now ...
    Oi loikes it! You can't have too many Goldbergs.

https://open.spotify.com/album/4KuETqvLUkToANaio3erzl

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    I played quite a bit of Reger in the days when I was forced to learn modern stuff (mainly for exams) alongside my usual renaissance, baroque and classical fare. Enjoyable stuff.

Just reminded me to dig out Rheinberger/Reger arrangement for two pianos of the Goldbergs. For non-fans of the Gouldberg versions this is the perfect antidote.

https://open.spotify.com/album/7xHdY82drUKmgh2xUgpyMI

The Aria is fairly conventional but it soon moves into its own world ...

I like the sound of that, so just ordered it from Amazon.

Do I take it from your pun that you are not keen on Glen Gould's interpretation?

Barry

+ Reply to Thread