+ Reply to Thread
Page 319 of 459 FirstFirst ... 219269309317318319320321329369419 ... LastLast
Results 3,181 to 3,190 of 4584

Thread: Spinning Today (Classical version)

I'm gone.

^ I agree - excellent works.
    I have one of the concertos on the Centaur label

______

Last night the glories of Bruckner's 4th symphony echoed through the Forest of Dean ...

https://open.spotify.com/album/1sGwxW6m4CB7Tbcff5gzeK

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    ^ I agree - excellent works.
    I have one of the concertos on the Centaur label

______

Last night the glories of Bruckner's 4th symphony echoed through the Forest of Dean ...

https://open.spotify.com/album/1sGwxW6m4CB7Tbcff5gzeK

Bruckner's fourth was performed at the very first orchestral concert I went to, when I was about 14 (1975 or so) at the Aberdeen Music Halls. The SNO (as it then was) used to play Aberdeen on a Thursday, Edinburgh on a Friday, and Glasgow on a Saturday. As well as piano and organ, at the time I was a French Horn player (I did my Scottish O Grade on the horn, not piano). I was utterly awestruck by the brass section in the Bruckner. Kurt Sanderling conducting.

Also on the programme was the Mendelssohn violin concerto though I can't remember who the soloist was.

I'm gone.

Golly.
    Tom is a closet Bruckner fan.
    Whodathunkit?
    I thought you detested the overblown grandiosity of romantic large orchestral?

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Golly.
    Tom is a closet Bruckner fan.
    Whodathunkit?
    I thought you detested the overblown grandiosity of romantic large orchestral?
    It has its place Jerry but at heart I'm a renaissance/baroque/classical chamber music and vocal junkie. There's not a huge amount after 1850 that floats my boat though an exception would be a good Bruckner or Mahler symphony.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Given your interests in music, Tom, you should be contributing more to this section of the forum!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm gone.

Awesomely powerful and minimalistically beautiful contemporary classical music by Lepo Sumera

https://open.spotify.com/album/2Glvmah8iVNMRFmkt8n29T

montesquieu Guest

Bream playing Giuliani and Malcolm Arnold ... the Giuliani is lovely. Malcolm Arnold less so. I recall his Clarinet Concerto clearing out a prom concert in Glasgow once - good night for the bar that must have been. They came back after the interval.

I quite a few of Ucida's Mozart recordings on vinyl, this is my favourite - been giving them a spin this afternoon. Looking rather fetching it has to be said too.

edit - surprised

https://open.spotify.com/album/0XswfbZKP24hr6zF8OtNPs

https://open.spotify.com/album/6H1LxcZ2Bziq8g0GvVnsR8
    Last edited by montesquieu; 21-10-2017 at 18:40.

Currently listening to this, which is soothing for a Sunday morning, but somewhat grandiose in parts:

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Right now this, which I'm enjoying immensely:

Marco.
    Main System

I'm gone.

Ooo - a new recording of Shosty 5th. And rather a good one!

From the Classics Today review ...
    "Manfred Honeck makes the Shostakovich Fifth sound freshly-composed–quite an accomplishment for this certified warhorse. His scrupulous attention to Shostakovich’s meticulous dynamic markings and instrumental balances–the harp emerging perfectly from the orchestral texture in the first movement, the audible piano at the climax of the adagio, and the brass beautifully sonorous and penetrating throughout"

https://open.spotify.com/album/4JHeGESKOlQt2gBAXtcTND

+ Reply to Thread