+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Copland CSA 14, rework and upgrade.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

The 266 was a pretty good machine in stock form, so not sure if the clock would "need" upgrading, since the importance of the latter was quite well understood by this time. have a look at the line output stage to see if a careful recap could warm the tone up a little?

The CSA14 pots look like Alps Black Beauties, which were well thought of weren't they - supposedly better than the standard "blue" version?

SL10 re-do? YES PLEASE!!!!!!
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Liam.

Thanks for the tip dave, i am not sure what alps model, as i didnt remove them from the pcb for a closer look, they did crackle a little but some contact cleaner sorted it out, so didnt mess with them in the end.

as for the cda 266, i will have a look at the output and power supply boards for a recap, u can see some 0.15uf caps right there, cant make out a name, the rest are phillips items, clcok is in the bottom left corner.

By rabid1981 at 2011-09-27

I'm David.

Default Replacing the Rectifier with Schottky diodes...help please....!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rabid1981 View Post
    just the caps, may look at the rectifiyers at a later date.

yeap, its always a relief! just totting up my copland cda266 for a recap and clock upgrade atm

Hi all.
    I am another CSA14 user. At the moment it is on my workbench, having had most of the caps replaced....nearly finished....but I want to replace the bridge rectifiers too.
    There are 5 of them.
    These are the specs:
    D5,D6, D105: All 3 are square plastic encapsulations with 4 legs, 10amp 400v according to the manual
    D7 & D8 are similar slightly smaller 3amp 400v devices. Any suggestions as to whether schottky diodes are suitable replacement upgrades and as to how to connect them?
    I can follow instructions but I'm not an electronics engineer!

Any takers for this one please?

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by vintageaxeman View Post
    Hi all.
    I am another CSA14 user. At the moment it is on my workbench, having had most of the caps replaced....nearly finished....but I want to replace the bridge rectifiers too.
    There are 5 of them.
    These are the specs:
    D5,D6, D105: All 3 are square plastic encapsulations with 4 legs, 10amp 400v according to the manual
    D7 & D8 are similar slightly smaller 3amp 400v devices. Any suggestions as to whether schottky diodes are suitable replacement upgrades and as to how to connect them?
    I can follow instructions but I'm not an electronics engineer!

Any takers for this one please?
    Probably not worth the effort IMO but if you want to experiment this will help

http://www.hificollective.co.uk/pdf/diode.pdf

I'm David.

Default thank you for the info!

Only just noticed your reply. Thank you very much. I might go ahead with the replacement of bridge rectifiers, but it already sounds so good now it has settled down. I had replaced all the electrolytics, and the valves, and the output leads were changed for pure silver wire. (just for the hell of it)

I'm James.

Well you might as well... It'll be the icing on the cake ! I've found it gives a subjectively lower noise floor but as with everything YMMV.

I'm Al.

Default Vintage of Copland

Just bought a well looked after CSA 28 model. Sounds great but I too will upgrade the caps in the future.
    Just wondered is there any way to tell an approximate date of manufacture?

I'm Tony.

Hi Liam

The Copland 266 does respond well to a few little changes, a nice solid musical sound with no edges at all.

Over the years we must have seen around 30 or so of these units.

The image below is our basic upgrade on this player, though I miscalculated the current required on the circuit using the Jung style regulator it need a 1.2 amp device rather than a 500ma max SMT i/c. which also feeds the front panel so just watch that.

There is plenty more you can do in conjunction as well.

Though this basic upgrades do reap quantifiable rewards Liam.

Coherent Systems
    Real high end sound with musicality not hifi

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12