• 3 stars

6 21.43%
  • 4 stars

10 35.71%
  • 5 stars

8 28.57%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Album Club: 30.08.2011: Tangerine Dream - Rubycon (1975) (Vinyl, CD, SACD)

I'm Keith.

Default Album Club: 30.08.2011: Tangerine Dream - Rubycon (1975) (Vinyl, CD, SACD)

Spotify:

Rubycon Part 1: http://open.spotify.com/track/77WAv8OQNLSQI4rLsN8cQF

Rubycon Part 2: http://open.spotify.com/track/2ZGmQyEuZh2enSejORuHiA

YouTube (with nice video montage):

Rubycon Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xl6zlD_hlE

Rubycon Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qw_9Z_fzww

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubycon_(album)

Classic 'Berlin School' electronica which had a profound effect on me back in 1975. Turn out the lights, turn up the volume and let it wash all over you for 35 minutes.
    Last edited by keiths; 30-08-2011 at 00:45.
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

I'm Dave.

I saw this lot in the 70s. Will be interesting to give this a listen to...
    In - Tweaked Lenco GL75, Linn Ittok, Ortofon Cadenza Black
    Through - Croft Micro 25 RS LS, power R monoblocks, RIAA R. Ortofon ST-80 SE SUT.
    Along - Tellurium Q Ultra Black cables
    Out - Harbeth SHL5 Plus XD's

Street photography

Dave

I'm Will.

I've had this since it was released on vinyl, and bought the CD remaster a couple of years ago...their best work IMHO

I also saw them during the 70's, I think around '76/'77 @ Newcastle City Hall, must have been around the encore tour.

For me they lost their way once they started using polyphonic synths, I prefer the more 'spartan' feel of their earlier work.

4 Stars...
    Cheers, Will

I'm Keith.

This was the second TD album I bought (first was Phaedra) and still have that "A1/B1" vinyl copy along with the original UK CD and the remastered "Definitive Edition" CD from 1995. First time I saw them live was in 1978 - so I never got to see the classic Froese/Franke/Baumann line-up live The last time I saw them live was in 1982 - the same tour that the "Logos Live" album was recorded on.

I lost interest around the time they left Virgin records (in 1983) after the "Hyperborea" album and have only 'dipped in' to their output since then, however their last few releases are very good if not quite a return to their best form. They are mega-prolific these days, having released 2 studio albums, 1 live album and 3 limited-edition eps this year so far, with at least one more studio album scheduled for release before the end of the year. You do wonder if they can maintain quality.
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

I'm Keith.

Lots of voting going on at this very early stage - I hope people are actually listening to the album afresh and not going off any preconceptions they might have
    Keith

Gallery

MartinT Guest

No worries here, Keith - I know Rubycon well. My first exposure to TD was Phaedra and my lasting loves have been two dissimilar efforts of theirs: Ricochet and Exit.

I shall play Rubycon again tonight and will write up what I think after a fresh listen.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by keiths View Post
    I hope people are actually listening to the album afresh and not going off any preconceptions they might have
    Looks like that may well be happening, which kind of defeats the object
    I only have Phaedra and was consumed by it when it first came out. I used to have this on cassette so probably haven't listening to it in over 30 years, so it will be interesting to see how it appeals now?
    I've just been listening to Brian Eno, so this will fit in nicely - released the same year too!
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm notAlone.

5 stars : a classic for me.

Best listened to with some half-illegal (depending on country laws) substance, tbh.
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

I'm Dave.

I listened to it twice last night and quite enjoyed it. Not sure I'd buy it though. Reminded me of a few early Vangelis albums I have.
    In - Tweaked Lenco GL75, Linn Ittok, Ortofon Cadenza Black
    Through - Croft Micro 25 RS LS, power R monoblocks, RIAA R. Ortofon ST-80 SE SUT.
    Along - Tellurium Q Ultra Black cables
    Out - Harbeth SHL5 Plus XD's

Street photography

Dave

I'm john.

TD are my fave act of all time Rubycon is timeless and although I prefer Phaedra ..The con is one of THE best em albums ever made ..not everybody can see it for what it is. It isn't so much composed or played by the three guys it's more of a sculpture in sound. A work of art so to speak..when the mood takes you you can lose yourself in this album as with the predecesor Phaedra. TD these days are maybe no longer innovative but Edgar Froes is IMO one of the best composers in synth music. A lot of folks dismiss the last 10 - 20 years as being rubbish but to me TD never really lost their magic.
    John.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast