+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'll quote you on that...

Default I'll quote you on that...

I can't help noticing the excessive use of quotes, some of them even quoting the whole of a lengthy reply. on many occasions. Sometimes the quotation is a follow up to a comment posted just above the reply. This is making for some senseless double reading, and in most cases a guess in identifying the key parts the quote is supposed to encompass.
    There are no doubt genuine reason why quotes have to be used, but its liberal use for no apparent reason is distracting IMHO. I was wondering if many share my frustration with this trend, and if so, how the reading experience can be improved without too much hassle? Is there a quotation hiding feature anyone has ever come across?

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

I share your pain Stan, I often edit a quoted post just to include the sentence or few words I am referring too and struggle to understand why folk don't do the same. My pet hate is a post containing a lot of pictures which gets duplicated - that's just mad. I have even gone as far as resizing pictures if their reuse is essential in a quoted post!

When a large post gets duplicated and dissected with each passage repeated and replied too, I just don't bother to read it - can't be arsed.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Deleted.

Yes Stan, I share your irritation with regard to the needless quotation of posts (particularly lengthy ones) - but then, I think that even the most generous would say that I am easily irritated.
    Account Deleted

I'm notAlone.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    I can't help noticing the excessive use of quotes, some of them even quoting the whole of a lengthy reply. on many occasions. Sometimes the quotation is a follow up to a comment posted just above the reply. This is making for some senseless double reading, and in most cases a guess in identifying the key parts the quote is supposed to encompass.
    There are no doubt genuine reason why quotes have to be used, but its liberal use for no apparent reason is distracting IMHO. I was wondering if many share my frustration with this trend, and if so, how the reading experience can be improved without too much hassle? Is there a quotation hiding feature anyone has ever come across?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    I share your pain Stan, I often edit a quoted post just to include the sentence or few words I am referring too and struggle to understand why folk don't do the same. My pet hate is a post containing a lot of pictures which gets duplicated - that's just mad. I have even gone as far as resizing pictures if their reuse is essential in a quoted post!

When a large post gets duplicated and dissected with each passage repeated and replied too, I just don't bother to read it - can't be arsed.
    Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    Yes Stan, I share your irritation with regard to the needless quotation of posts (particularly lengthy ones) - but then, I think that even the most generous would say that I am easily irritated.
    And what about multi-quote ?

Joke apart, quoting is important in a thread that gets updated fast : it helps understanding who's answering to whom.
    Also helps keeping the question & answer (or argument & counter-) in one post, without having to look for posts on previous pages.

In my opinion, of course.

Pan Metron Ariston (all good things should be used in moderation)
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    It irritates me more when you get

I can't help noticing the excessive use of quotes, some of them even quoting the whole of a lengthy reply.
    because you can't attribute a quote to a particular poster, and it might as well be

I cannot stand the stench of rotting fish
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Deleted.

[QUOTE=Stratmangler;246585It irritates me more when you get

because you can't attribute a quote to a particular poster, and it might as well be[/QUOTE]

What about when people somehow cock-up the method of quoting?
    Account Deleted

Picking on individuals who are guilty of this excess is not a good way to go about voicing a critical opinion without trampling on anyone's toes . But if it irritates you more that I even mentioned it, I shall keep my opinion about the quotes to myself from now on . But I am pleased that you mentioned that I irritate you. Stab vest on order from eBay.

I'm ChrisB.

It's a bit of a double-edged sword, I think. But yes, quoting a full post complete with a whole pile of photos is bad, bad, bad, bad.
    Last edited by The Grand Wazoo; 28-08-2011 at 09:55. Reason: Added a bad

I'm Deleted.

I'm not sure what your last post is referring to Stanley? Perhaps if you could quote the section in which someone wrote that you irritate them (as I can't see that anyone has written anything of the sort).
    Account Deleted

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

I always try and tidy up broken quotes if I see them, but do agree the repeating of photos in particular are very annoying!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast