+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What classics changed your hi-fi life?

I'm BigBobJoylove.

For those that couldn't stretch to an Arcam Delta (plus a Black Box!), Arcam brought out its more ideally priced CD players. Originally just called the Alpha, it went on to become a modded version (the plus) and then the Alpha 1.

Great players in their day - I had an Alpha 5+.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    Controversially, the Sondek (or LP12) was and is a huge hit. Whether Linn trade too heavily on it's past is debatable, but one thing's sure, it's a hit with many folk.

I'll Keep the Grace but chuck the Linn in the bin..

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyl Grinder View Post
    You know what mate, after hearing an LP12 for the first time today, I couldn't agree with you more. It was completely destroyed by EVERY other turntable, and I mean completely!

Atacama SE24 stands

You know what mate, after hearing an LP12 for the first time today, I couldn't agree with you more. It was completely destroyed by EVERY other turntable, and I mean completely!

Nothing suprising there then.I've been drilling it into peoples heads for years.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyl Grinder View Post
    Yeah, I know what you mean. I'd keep the Grace, too

As for the LP12 vs. various other decks at the show, full report to follow!

Andr'e,

I heard a cartridge today that would blow your mind... The ZU-modified DL-103 (it was on an LP12, though ) but I heard enough today even in an unfamiliar system to conclude that it was very special indeed, and I suspect considerably better than the 103Pro. I shall be investigating further with one in my system shortly.

This is what I'm taking about:

http://www.vendur.no/catalog/product...93c8529c8bca71

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Andy.

My brother was the low-fi buff (Luxman amp and JVC turntable with some unknown speakers) but I enjoyed listening to 'da music (this is the late '70s)

Then, he moved out and bye bye went the music. Being a poor student all I could afford was a 'ghetto blaster' - think it was an Hitachi, but it was better than nothing....................

Well, a few years later, got a job, bought a car, then realised that I was missing the music, so I sold the car........

Went to a HiFi dealer in 1985, in Manchester and sampled a few setups and walked out with the following:

Haybrook HB1 speakers with Target stands.
    Audiolab 8000A amp
    Michell Syncro turntable (think it had a Rega arm and a Mission cartridge (!).
    Got 10 metres of speaker cable thrown in, plus I bought a wall mounted turntable table.

Thought it was the dogs and kept it for 10 years before the upgrades started.

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by gninnam View Post
    ...was a 'ghetto blaster' - think it was an Hitachi,....
    I had an Hitachi portable before my hi-fi, real loud one. It had twin cassette decks and a five band EQ with a spectrum analyser and a proper volume wheel. Kicked butt!

Quote Originally Posted by gninnam View Post
    ...Heybrook HB1 speakers with Target stands.
    Audiolab 8000A amp
    Michell Syncro turntable ...
    Great starter set up. Ahhh, the Audiolab 8000A - everyone's had one at some point.

Atacama SE24 stands

I'm Dave.

Pioneer A400 - best value for money amp ever. My mate got hold of a shop damaged one ( he worked in the shop and may have had a hand in damaging it, me thinks) way back when they first came out. When he demo'd it to me it sent shivers down my spine, it might have been partly down to whatever speakers he had at the time but I still think the 400 is a giant killer.

I bought a A400 when they first came out.It has been in use for 18 hours aday and still works perfectly.I also bought at the time a denon tu 260 l and mission 760 speakers and its all still singing after all these years.The amp is a true classic.
    michell gyrodec with orbe platter - michell iso phono stage - sbt fed from synology nas or pc into
    young dac with palmer psu - passion passive preamp into wad valve amp

Location: Out on the wild and windy moors Lancs / Yorks Border

I'm Andy.

Controversially, the Sondek (or LP12) was and is a huge hit. Whether Linn trade too heavily on it's past is debatable, but one thing's sure, it's a hit with many folk.

Blumming ek I cant believe how badly that LP12 is set up. It can`t be being used like that surely. The armboard is all over the shop. (nice arm though)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast