+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mike New Bearing Base Plate

I'm Ron.

Well done Mike (CableMaker1), a clear, pictorial with accompanying instructions for anyone contemplating this mod. Thanks for the time and effort taken. One question: did you clamp or restrain movement of the turntable when your performed the drilling process to prevent rotational movement of the alloy chassis also how did you achieve this?

Ron

I'm Mike.

Hello Ron.

I did not have any clamps available to use on my TT when I drilled. I discovered that the TT stayed rock steady when I was performing the drilling. The secret is to put the TT chassis and cavity on top of a round-bedroom wastebasket and put the rubber underneath the wastebasket to dampen any movement. Make sure the wastebasket is plastic and durable!!!

However, you do bring up a good point which makes a good suggestion - if you have clamps at your disposal which you are confident that it will not leave marks on the TT, especially during the drilling process, see if you can make use of it to keep the TT steady during the drill process.

More to comment later.

Whoever is responisible for making this thread a sticky - thank you! I planned to request this at some point after completing my article.
    Anyone who thinks CDs sound better needs to listen to my system. Besides, my cables sound better than yours.

Technics SL1200-MK2 SE-1: MN Bearing + Baseplate + AL/CU Platter, Paul Hynes SR7 Power Supply, Isonoe Feet, SME V, Audio Technica AT33EV, CableMaker 1 Tonearm Cable
    Technics SL1200-MK2 SE-2: MN Bearing + Baseplate, Copper Mat, Paul Hynes SR7 Power Supply, Isonoe Feet, SME 309, Audio Technica ATOC9/MLII, CableMaker 1 Tonearm Cable

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Mike,

Just a quickie, and totally off-topic, but where is Westchester?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Andrew.

This brings back memories when I did mine! Great article.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Mike.

So... how does it sound with the Bearing Base Plate? My first impression, is that I was blown away! When I dropped the needle for the first time, I heard no surface noise what-so-ever!!! I could not wait to hear the music to hear how it would sound. I can tell you that the BBP works so great that all I heard was dead-silence!!! Litterally!!! I thought that either I went deaf or that Mike New's BBP is quite a music damper.

So now at this point, I had to go back and check my work. Surely, everything looked fine with the TT. After further investigating, I found the problem area. I took a picture to show. Only the trained eye would be able to spot the problem.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Anyone who thinks CDs sound better needs to listen to my system. Besides, my cables sound better than yours.

Technics SL1200-MK2 SE-1: MN Bearing + Baseplate + AL/CU Platter, Paul Hynes SR7 Power Supply, Isonoe Feet, SME V, Audio Technica AT33EV, CableMaker 1 Tonearm Cable
    Technics SL1200-MK2 SE-2: MN Bearing + Baseplate, Copper Mat, Paul Hynes SR7 Power Supply, Isonoe Feet, SME 309, Audio Technica ATOC9/MLII, CableMaker 1 Tonearm Cable

I'm Mike.

What you are looking at is the phono-pre-amp where the power was disconnected. All the wiring you see is the wiring I made, and in use. The wiring you see is a power cord, inter-connects, and my tonearm cable, all made by me. The results are quite stunning - it sounds beautiful in my system.

(Shameless plug of my work. )

When I got everything up and running, I did notice less surface noise and rumble when the needle dropped down on the record. This translates to more top-end sound and even more clarity compared to using just the MN Bearing alone. If you do not have the Mike New Bearing and you are reading this article, all I can ask is what are you waiting for??? This coupled with an external PSU will transform your TT to a higher level!!! The BBP will elevate your vinyl experience even further. And my tonearm cabling and interconnects will all but max-out your TT. A new tonearm and dedicated Phono-Preamp takes your vinyl experience to the max, for a 3-Dimensional Sound!!!

Anyone using this combination on their TT gives you the athority to use the Real-3D logo, which cannot be achieved by DVD or CD playback.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Nice one, Mike - great write up, and I'm pleased that the base plate has been a success

Could you please clear this up for me?

Hi Mike,

Just a quickie, and totally off-topic, but where is Westchester?
    If Westchester is located somewhere outside of the UK, then please put that info on your profile location details.

Cheers!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Robert.

HI, Yes as already said thanks for taking the time to offer up this step by step write up as well as details and pics . Could you kindly let me or us know what the base plates fundamental funtion is ie: is it to provide a better and more stable platform for the bearing to sit ? (Sorry if you've expressed this already and i've missed it - I'm at work reading and typing this up fairly quickly during my lunch break ). I have the Mike New bearing too and yes it is great. I'll be putting something up about my findings at some point re: this and external psu together.
    I'd love to have fitted the base plate too, it kind of missed my radar until your thread. Now I've had the deck undone and put back together with external psu and Mike New bearing fitted I'm not sure if I want to undo everything including arm (I have KAB damper fitted too) and get rid of the Mrs and kids while I undertake what would be a labour of love . Are the differences or benefits that significant to justify those of us with Mike New minus baseplate in place taking on a fair 'pull up' of the techy gubbins and parts ?

I'm Ron.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    HI, Yes as already said thanks for taking the time to offer up this step by step write up as well as details and pics . Could you kindly let me or us know what the base plates fundamental funtion is ie: is it to provide a better and more stable platform for the bearing to sit ? (Sorry if you've expressed this already and i've missed it - I'm at work reading and typing this up fairly quickly during my lunch break ). I have the Mike New bearing too and yes it is great. I'll be putting something up about my findings at some point re: this and external psu together.
    I'd love to have fitted the base plate too, it kind of missed my radar until your thread. Now I've had the deck undone and put back together with external psu and Mike New bearing fitted I'm not sure if I want to undo everything including arm (I have KAB damper fitted too) and get rid of the Mrs and kids while I undertake what would be a labour of love . Are the differences or benefits that significant to justify those of us with Mike New minus baseplate in place taking on a fair 'pull up' of the techy gubbins and parts ?
    Robert, this was the question I had in mind as I too have the Mike New bearing, I was a very early adopter of this bearing when there was alot of controvesy going on about it, and before the MN base plate came into existence. I also have the TimeStep HE outboard PSU but I have a Kondo silver wired Linn Ekos arm worked on by Audio Origami. I have retained the original platter but augmented it with a constrained layer sub platter (copper, damped aluminium, 5mm Acromat) thus making the overall platter inert and well damped. The MN platter and Funk Firm acrylic platters at circa GBP600.oo a piece is an expense to far for me, but who knows maybe one day?

Getting back to the bearing base plate, if you dig around here you will find that Marco took his highly hot rodded Tekko, minus the base plate over to MartinT also with a highly spected up Tek plus MN base plate installed and Marco could detect hardly any difference? Of course this was some time ago and maybe Marco can jump in here and advise whether he eventually had the MN base plate installed?

What I strongly believe is that the 12XX can only be taken so far before the laws of diminished returns bite with a vengeance, all okay if you're a Mr or Mrs Moneypockets but I have to live in today's real world Having taken my deck apart on a number of occassions one last time to install the base plate would be it, there after lock it and throw the key away!

Get your T/table to a standard that you enjoy and then forget about the 'what if I do this or buy that for it' syndrome or you'll forever be on Hi Fi's merry go round

Ron

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Nice one, Mike - great write up, and I'm pleased that the base plate has been a success

Could you please clear this up for me?

If Westchester is located somewhere outside of the UK, then please put that info on your profile location details.

Cheers!

Marco.
    Who cares where it is dude, what possible difference can it make?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast