+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mike New Bearing Base Plate

I'm Stephen.

Hi Ron

name plate from here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2616887328...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT - yes adhesive backing.

Happy New Year

Steve
    Always a little further

I'm Ron.

Quote Originally Posted by worrasf View Post
    Hi Ron

name plate from here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2616887328...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT - yes adhesive backing.

Happy New Year

Steve
    Mucho thanks Steve for the info and in response to my queries.

Happy and content 2015 to you and yours.

Ron

I'm Robert.

Hi guys, At long long last I'm a position to give a genuinely critical analysis / evaluation of the Mike New bearing base plate in my system or more to the point, how my system now sounds with the addition of the bearing base plate. I actually fitted the base plate a while back but couldn't evaluate for a number of reasons. 1. The BBP raises the platter by 6mm so what I found was that I needed more height at the back of the arm. So courtesy of Speedy Steve a new ebony armboard was ordered with a lesser dishing of 4.5mm as opposed to 8mm of my original. 2. Finding the sweetspot for the 2M Black is a PITA and has taken me an absolute age, fiddling and adjusting vta via on the fly BUT at long long blinking last I've hit it. So....

The Sound - I've listened to about 4 sides so far Dennis Brown - Love has found it's way lp and Bobby Caldwell's self titled lp from 1978. These are sides I'm very familiar with. First thing I noticed was darker / blacker quiet passages. Then the more I listened it was clear there was more insight into the recording ie: a genuine human being in front of a mike, the breaths, the expression, much more tangible and real as if the speakers have got out of the way. Same with the instruments, individual textures but in a life like sense. The other thing is there is an evenness to the overall frequency range ie: more flat / neutral, no frequencies are over emphasised, the balance is so welcome. There's a real sense of the individual playing of instruments as in someone playing not just music playing. So addictive, I really dont know what else to say apart from this is not all down to the BBP alone, however it is absolutely obvious to me that the BBP has taken things to another level in terms of how things sounded prior to install and that was damn good anyway let me tell you.

I would recommend the BBP with the MN bearing without hesitation as together we are talking 'audiophile' genuine hi-fidelity - honest not glossed over vinyl replay, which is what happens whenever a 'proper' component part is installed alongside the removal / replacement of resonant parts / noise inducers etc. That 'rightness' in replay starts to come through and it's why I've never stopped upgrading the Techie cause you dont half get back what you put in.

In terms of install, I'd say that it isnt hard but it takes care and concentration. Take it nice and easy and follow the instructions carefully ! Applying the epoxy was a squeaky bum moment as it's a kind of ' this baseplate really really needs to be dead centre' moment !!! Cant tell you how glad I am that I did it though. Marco said I'd love it and boy was he right !!
    (btw - you know things are good when you find yourself thinking 'I'd never sell this deck!')

I'm in big trouble now as I cant stop playing music and should really go to bed. I've started a new role in my organisation and have a training sesh in the morning etc etc oh boy !!
    Bless
    Rob

Mike_New Guest

Hi Robert,
    Yea your right in observing that the only tricky part is ensuring that the Bearing Base Plate is central when you leave the epoxy to set.
    But if my Instructions are followed carefully using the three bolts to locate the position of the BBP, people should not have any problem.

I'm Kevin.

Does the plate have to raise the platter by 6mm, or could a thinner plate be manufactured?
    I am assuming that it's a 6mm plate in the statement above, so it sounds like it's capable of taking a direct hit from a ballistic missile.

The only reason I ask is that I don't have an additional 6mm of adjustment available.
    I am also not sure that a new armboard for my arm will be that easy to manufacture.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

Mike_New Guest

I decided on a thickness of 6mm as this provides the maximum amount of solidity for the bearing whithout being any thicker.
    A lot of people complain that they cannot get their new tone arms down low enough so it's difficult to cater for all combinations.

I'm Kevin.

Mike,

I understand it's difficult to cater for all combinations.
    By using a 4mm plate would there be a loss in rigidity?

It could make the difference between doing the project, or forgetting it due to requiring an expensive armboard upgrade.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

Mike_New Guest

i could certainly offer 4mm thick Base Plates if that is what people want.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by worrasf View Post
    I claim my wine gum Andrei

Just gotten around to taking a photo of the top plate sans slider and disc adapter cut outs.

I'm very pleased with the looks.

Steve
    What is that big metal sylynder on top of your tonearm?? Mine is just a small screw lid for the oil well....s that an upgrade part??

Turntable 1: Technics SL1210M5G/ KAB PSU/ KAB Fluid Damper
    Turntable 2: Rega P3 (new) Tangospinner & dual belt/ Rega Neo
    Amplifier: Rega Elex-R
    RIAA: Rega Fono mk3 & Schiit Mani
    Speaker: Klipsch RP280f
    Cartridge: Rega Exact & Nagaoka MP-110

Mike_New Guest

Hi Folks,
    I wish people would ask me these questions here instead of by email.
    I have been asked if the Bearing Base Plate can be painted. The answer of course is YES.
    Excepting than the underside which is epoxied to the chassis must not be, for obvious reasons.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast