• 4 out of 5

3 23.08%
  • 5 out of 5

2 15.38%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Album Club: 23.08.2011: Medeski Martin & Wood - Uninvisible

I'm Will.

CD has arrived from Amazon...eventually!!!

Just re-indexing my SB server as we speak, time for a proper listen

Edit; Just been through it once...excellent choice John, right up my street

Why haven't I heard of these chaps before

Superb musicianship, excellent dark funky grooves, great turntableism, magnificent cheesy organ

I know it's going to get better with a few more listens, so I'm going to have to give it 5 stars, if there was a 4.5 I'd go for that, it's definitely worth more than 4 IMHO

It's reminiscent of a polish band called Skalpel, on Ninja Tunes, so if you like this you might want to give them an audition too...

Last edited by WAD62; 30-08-2011 at 13:16.
    Cheers, Will

I'm John.

Hey Will. I’m glad that someone at least likes my weird musical taste

I already have Skalpel’s self titled album; interesting stuff.
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

I'm Dave.

Its funny that this thread has had 376 visits but only 9 votes?

I know that people visit more than once but thought there would be more.
    In - Tweaked Lenco GL75, Linn Ittok, Ortofon Cadenza Black
    Through - Croft Micro 25 RS LS, power R monoblocks, RIAA R. Ortofon ST-80 SE SUT.
    Along - Tellurium Q Ultra Black cables
    Out - Harbeth SHL5 Plus XD's

Street photography

Dave

I'm Confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Oh, and the fact that I like to listen to new music in a basque and stockings, of course!
    Ah, that explains why Marco made you a mod - you share more than just an interest in music - sadly it means I shall never reach that lofty position .
    Dave.
    DaveK.

My System:
    Power: Belkin PF40, Custom.hifi.cables Hydra and DC PSUs.
    Sources: Self built HTPC with Xonar ST sound card, NAD T585 multi disc player, Sony BDP-S350, Squeezebox Touch, Techncs SL1210 (mod'd) + Nagaoka MP30, Thomson Sky HD box.
    Amps etc.: 2 x Mini-T amps, MF-X10D Valve buffer clone, StanDAC 7520/Caiman (mod'd).
    Speakers: Mission 774s with added super tweeters
    Cables: best I can afford and likely to change except Homar's RF attenuated co-ax's and Mark Grant USB and HDMI cables. I also like silver i/cs and speaker cable.

I'm Nick.

You do have a thing for pussies big furry cats though Dave. That must count for something!
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm Confused.

Hi Nick,
    Yep, that's true, but so do an awful lot of others on this forum I seem to recall. That means it cannot be used as a selection criteria for elevation to the peerage (Mod status) as there'd be more Mods than ordinary members .
    So Mods appear to be selected from that very small (I hope) minority of members who like to brag about their cross dressing fetish. Pleb membership is my only option I'm afraid .
    Dave.
    DaveK.

My System:
    Sources: Self built HTPC with Xonar ST sound card, NAD T585 multi disc player, Sony BDP-S350, Squeezebox Touch, Techncs SL1210 (mod'd) + Nagaoka MP30, Thomson Sky HD box.
    Amps etc.: 2 x Mini-T amps, MF-X10D Valve buffer clone, StanDAC 7520/Caiman (mod'd).
    Cables: best I can afford and likely to change except Homar's RF attenuated co-ax's and Mark Grant USB and HDMI cables. I also like silver i/cs and speaker cable.

I'm Nick.

Me personally, I like to rise above such frivolity. Someone needs to maintain some level of decorum on behalf of Team AOS!

Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm Confused.

What a lonely figure you must cut at team AoS meetings
    Dave.
    DaveK.

My System:

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by Welder View Post
    Hey Will. I’m glad that someone at least likes my weird musical taste

I already have Skalpel’s self titled album; interesting stuff.
    Music for both head and feet...there's nowt weird about that John

RE. Skalpel their other album Konfusion is worth a listen too, although they do seem to have dropped off the radar a bit, nothing really since 2005/6

Do you have anything else by MM&W? I see from their website they have quite a few more recent albums but the only stuff I can find on youtube is from Uninvisible...
    Cheers, Will

I'm John.

Hi Will
    MM&W have made quite a few albums, sometimes a couple of them team up with someone else and do a recording.
    This is an interesting album imo
    MM&W Last Chance To Trance. Similar in style to Uninvisible

The Out Louder at the Bowery Ballroom is also worth a punt.
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast