3 23.08%
  • 5 out of 5

2 15.38%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Album Club: 23.08.2011: Medeski Martin & Wood - Uninvisible

I'm John.

@Chris.

Tbh Chris I’m not surprised. I didn’t think this was going to be a particularly popular choice
    As you write, it’s somewhere on the lines of Miles Davis and Marcus Miller, both which I like and play regularly.
    It seems to be one of those albums that you either find interesting, mainly because you like drum and bass and get to grips with the electronics as you listen or, you come away scratching your head saying much as you have, yes they can play, but why do they play this

Absolutely no need to apologies for negative comments mate and thanks for giving it a listen.
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

I'm Will.

Sounds excellent John, amazon clicked...I'll delay my voting 'till I've given it a proper listen...
    Cheers, Will

I'm Simon.

hmmm interesting, something new to me. May need to get the album itself, can't really judge it properly from the youtube links.

I get the Miles links and it's from an era in Miles I'm not very keen on.

Need to give it a bit more space and so far I can hear enough to justify a purchase. Not going to rate it just yet though as I may have the album before voting closes.

I'm Keith.

Quick listen to the YouTube tracks. Sounds pretty interesting. Asked around the pub last night and a mate is fairly sure his brother has the CD, so I should get to listen to it properly tomorrow.
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

I'm Keith.

Borrowed the CD last night, but a couple of scratches caused it to skip badly. With the owner's permission, I spent some time trying to polish them out. Still wouldn't play in my Inca Designs Katana CD player, but eventually dbPoweramp managed to get a secure rip, so today I've been listening to that.

First impressions are mixed. Some excellent playing and nice deep bass (especially track 6 - Retirement Song), but as the cd progressed, I found my attention wandering a bit. I really don't like the turntable scratching that is on several tracks - think it sounds contrived and old-hat. Enjoyed the "Your Name is Snake Anthony" track with the spoken lyrics which came as a nice change amongst the other predominantly instrumental tracks.

Unlike Chris, I like the organ sound that features heavily in the mix and most of the electronic effects work well.

So a mixed bag, but glad I got to listen properly to it.

Thanks to John for picking something new(ish), different and interesting (thereby clearing the way for me to choose something old, predictable and dull next week. )

Edit: I've just voted and each of the five votes so far is different
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

I'm afraid I couldn't get on with this at all. I have listened all the way through twice and found nothing I liked, too eclectic for my tastes, but there is no doubt they are fine musicians and some of the bass playing is very good indeed. The loose improvised style just doesn't work for me. I'm not a fan of funk either, so those overtones didn't help.

Sorry John, a miss for me but I do know who they are now, so more knowledge is always a good thing - at least I won't buy it if I see it in the charity shop, so you could have saved me a quid
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Dave.

I like the samples, and I've put a bid on a CD digipak on ebay.

I'm Dean.

Hi,

Some very nice groove on this album. Some of the tracks are very entertaining and well thought out. It does have avant garde bits which don't always do it for me. But overall I quite like the flow.

I like the organ groove on some of the tracks as I'm a fan of the Hammond organ sound. I like the hip hop & funk elements that run in a number of tracks. This gave a excellent sea of sound. A mixture of ideas.

I "digged" the title track, smoke & Pappy Check very well. Nice!

I have heard of this trio before but not taken much noticed. May have a dabble into some of their other items.

This album is has a number of enjoyable high points so gets the thumbs up from me. I have ordered a copy.
    Dean

There are only two types of music. Music I own and music I don't.

I'm ILOB.

I must admit I went into this album with a slight bit of skeptism, I think for me its one of those albums I have to be in the mood for but I can enjoy so thank you John for opening my ears to something I would of never of listened to
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Nick.

The only thing I have heard by Medeski, Martin and Wood is Moti Mo off 'It's A Jungle In Here'. I loved that tune, reccorded a copy off a late night 'Jazz FM' show back in 93/94 around when it came out, and still have the tape. Since then I've seen them become popular in the American 'Jam Band' / taper-friendly scene, but I've not checked out any of their stuff.

I'll sync this up to by Spotify offline playlist and see how it goes!
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast