+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: APPJ tube amplifier (Miniwatt N3) and choice of tubes

I'm Gints.

Thanks for a suggestions. I ended up buying another one and faulty goes back to seller. He said he will sort it out and will send it back to me. I have to pay only delivery to China, that is about 40 pounds. Or can repair be done for less?
    Unless somebody ready to buy it as it is now, I will have one for sale in few weeks time.

I'm Gints.

Got in trouble again. There was flashing lights, sound went distorted and stoped for a moment. One channel recover, other not. No burning smell. Switched off, switched on - left chanel working, right not. Switched places el84 tubes - right channel working, left not. Is one of tubes definitely dead? Or it can be something else? Both el84 tubes still glowing, just sounding one is hotter than other.

I'm Dave.

Hi Gints. I'm sorry to hear about your run of bad luck.
    Personally I'd try to get the amps repaired in the UK by someone with a good rep. It might cost a bit more but it's more likely to provide a happy ending. You can also get them to check the amps over and make sure there's nothing else wrong.

It could be that you have a faulty valve that's blowing something in the amps. So I'd recommend that you get them tested. If you need new valves I'd recommend Watford Valves as they are very well trusted.

Good luck sorting it all out.
    Source: Apple TV 4K - DAC: Beresford Bushmaster Mk II - Preamp: CI AudioPLC-1 Mk II - Power Amps: Musical Fidelity 550K mono blocks - Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 3 - Cables: Mark Grant etc - Misc: Belkin PF30 mains filters.

I'm Gints.

Yes, I will get checked over when I decide if I keep it. I had a plan for them to work with fullrange speakers, but I still do not have them.

Got back from China my first amplifier, swap tubes and this time it was faulty Genalex EL84 tube, amplifier itself is fine. What to do with other EL84 tube? Can I send it to shop and they will match other one for me?

As now I have a two amplifiers and I need tubes, how about two sets of matched tubes and use them to biamp my current speakers till I get a proper fullrange speakers. Is it worth to do? Do not want to spend too much for it. I see that original Miniwatt N3 use TungSol 12AX7 and Sovtek EL84. Should I also use them or there is a better option in that budget.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12