Default Hi-Fi Choice mag to vanish?

Well, hello.

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Stereonow View Post
    No!

I'm Howard.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Bunsen Honeydew View Post
    No!
    Oh come on Richard. No need to be shy. Tell it like you feel it!

Kind regards

Howard
    Well, hello.

I'm Simon.

It's a real shame that magazine publishing houses don't seem to be either willing or able to embrace the internet age. In my day job I manage the marketing budget for a US sporting goods manufacturer. We advertise in about 30 print magazines and we also advertise in a handful of web only publications. From an advertisers point of view we get more reach and more imprints from the online magazines per dollar than we do for all but one of the print magazines. Surely there's a business case to be made for an online only periodical, frankly i'm amazed Critic hasn't gone that way already,.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

No!
    I think we should all care - especially retailers and manufacturers - not necessarily for the demise of the magazine (although I personally enjoy it/them) but if the publisher is killing it off then that is for one reason only - they are not selling enough copies to make a profit at the sale price, and if they are not selling enough copies, there could be several underlying reasons -

1. There aren't enough people interested in hifi to buy the magazine any more
    2. People generally haven't got enough spare cash to spend on their hifi related hobby, including the magazines
    3. There aren't enough manufacturers/retailers placing adverts because they are feeling the pinch from 1 & 2 above...

Maybe you're bucking the trend Richard and business is booming for NVA, but I suspect something like this would be more wisely considered as a barometer of the state of the industry - may not be affecting you at the moment, but will you be able to swim against the tide forever?
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    I think we should all care - especially retailers and manufacturers - not necessarily for the demise of the magazine (although I personally enjoy it/them) but if the publisher is killing it off then that is for one reason only - they are not selling enough copies to make a profit at the sale price, and if they are not selling enough copies, there could be several underlying reasons -

2. People generally haven't got enough spare cash to spend on their hifi related hobby, including the magazines
    3. There aren't enough manufacturers/retailers placing adverts because they are feeling the pinch from 1 & 2 above...

Maybe you're bucking the trend Richard and business is booming for NVA, but I suspect something like this would be more wisely considered as a barometer of the state of the industry - may not be affecting you at the moment, but will you be able to swim against the tide forever?
    Magazines never survived on how many copies they sold, it is on how much advertising revenue they attract. The business model is that the cover price pays for the printing costs only, and anyway a vast majority of the cover price goes to the retailer, especially if it is W H Smith who ask for extra to stock it.

So manufacturers and retails are simply unwilling to buy advertising anymore QED magazine closes. So if it was important to them then they would buy it.

I have next to no overheads, and I have another source of income, so I don't even need to swim, let alone against the tide.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post

There is still enough interest in hi-fi to support 2 or 3 magazines. The problem is HFC is up against better competition if you exclude WHF. Also a large publishing company has expensive overheads compared to those running World and HF News. The competition is just an editor with a few freelance contributors.

I'm Martin.

It used to be the case unitl quite recently that if you wanted to read about your hobby you bought a magazine or magazines. Now you can just log onto the internet - there is pretty much a forum for everything - multiple forums in many cases.

Most people don't buy a hi-fi mag because they are looking to buy a product and want a review, it is to pass the time and to read about the hobby.

So why pay £4.00 plus for a magazine? This had to happen eventually, it's just surprising how long it has taken really.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm colin.

Not good for the trade when a magazine folds.
    It improved in the last 5 years, i enjoyed its content but dont think there was enough content. Paying a fiver for a monthly i expect more than an hours read.
    I also lost interest when Alan Sircom left and it became the Richard Black show.
    Technic 1210, PS3, AVI neutron 2.1, Icon Audio p1 phono stage.

I'm Howard.

I have next to no overheads, and I have another source of income, so I don't even need to swim, let alone against the tide.
    I'm in a similar situation. People were sceptical when I became a one-brand retailer i.e. LFD. Bearing in mind they only make amps, phonostages, interconnects and speaker cables, it looked to many to be daft. Meanwhile LFD business is booming and it seems I have the lion's share of it. No threat to Sony though!

Thus I’m the only retailer I believe who chooses not to sell sources nor speakers.

Like you Richard I have other sources of income from my inventions.

Kind regards. Howard.

{Unauthorised advertising of a non-audio related business removed. Sorry, Howard -- Marco}
    Last edited by Neil McCauley; 21-07-2011 at 12:18.
    Well, hello.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 58 1231151 ... LastLast