+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Analog Tape Thread

I'm Gino.

Another bit of analogue art?

I suppose one of the most remarkable reel-to-reel analogue tape recorders ever made was the Ampex / Nagra VPR-5. This in fact was a C Format broadcast video recorder, a sort of television version of the tiny Nagra SNN.

This example is an early (prototype?) version circa 1984 that was used and modified by the BBC. It is shown here in the 20 Minute reel configuration (which can easily be changed to 1 Hour reels) with the wired remote control - on a period bit of G Plan!. It has 4 audio channels, 4 motors, 16 heads, built-in insert and assembly editing, timecode and a very advanced battery and tape management system.

Built to ‘aerospace standards’ for lightness and with most of the electronics surface mount, it was regarded by many as a work of art.

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Quote Originally Posted by Thermionic View Post
    Built to ‘aerospace standards’ for lightness and with most of the electronics surface mount, it was regarded by many as a work of art.
    I'd still regard it as such! All Nagra stuff is a joy to behold, that thing is stunning though
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Nobody.

Gis that 'Logic 7' Gino o i'll have that 'Series 7' reel you have on that Philips aswell

Analogue tape is near enough my primary source.

I'm afesteringvinylphile.

Eye-popping stuff, gents. I'm off for a few days; so, I think I'll run a couple new reels and break the seal on a few cassettes.
    Lyrics are the ramblings of man, sometimes inspired by The Creator, most often, not.
    But music (melodies, harmonies, rhythms), that's God stuff.
    Always was. Always will be.

One of the biggest lies ever told was that only certain kinds of people should listen to certain kinds of music.

(silent) VINYL LP SLIDESHOWS

I'm afesteringvinylphile.

Revox PR99Mk1 Will it ever go back together?

Before

Everything's nice and tidy back here.

I removed the right (stationary) tape guide for replacement. What once was circular became oblong. It was turned a few times by the previous owner(s); so, it was time to replace it.

I decided to turn the tension arms while I was at it.

The left tension arm is actually attached to the back of the top, front faceplate.

After

She lives!

Lyrics are the ramblings of man, sometimes inspired by The Creator, most often, not.
    But music (melodies, harmonies, rhythms), that's God stuff.
    Always was. Always will be.

One of the biggest lies ever told was that only certain kinds of people should listen to certain kinds of music.

(silent) VINYL LP SLIDESHOWS

I'm Stewart.

Lovely VPR 5 there Gino.....did you know that there were only 25 of them brought into this country? The new cost on one was around £75000 in 1986!!

I have one myself that still works and is still so well lined up that I use it to make C Format test tapes.

Like your VPR 80 in the background BTW....I have 2 entire Ampex field service kits full of new devices from these - would you be interested?
    Stewart.

I'm Gino.

Nice machine Biff, the PR99 is a good straight forward recorder - provided you can get and un-knackered one with the pots and meters. I miss mine rather.

Hi Lodgesound, wondered if you would notice the VPR-5, pleased you have one as well.

Yes, I also know something about these machines, and a while ago did some web pages about them. Mine is in unknown condition as the internal back-up battery went flat, but it still seems to be working pretty well. I have the field playback adapter and can get colour pictures of a sort, though have never bothered to hook it up to a proper TBC.

I was for a while a bit of a collector of serious video kit (hence the VPR-80), and I have the odd 3 tube E.N.G. camera lurking. I once hoped to take the Nagra and an HL79d out and about, but never got around to it.

Thanks for the thought about the service kits, but I have a pretty complete set of spare VPR-80 electronics. Now if you had a service kit for the VPR-5, that would be another matter!
    Marantz CD/DA12, HHB 'burnit', Yamaha CT7000, Magnum Dynalab FT101A, Garrard 401, SME 3009, Dynavector 100R and 30C, AT F7, Trichord Dino, Audio Research LS7, Quad 303 or Leak Stereo 20, Harbeth P3ESR, BK sub, DIY passive with PG faders, Quad II's, Quad ELS57's, Townsend Ribbons, Crown IC150, HH AM8/12, Tannoy Monitor Gold in Lancaster, Stellavox SU8, Nagra T-Audio, Dolby 361's, Sony D50, Pro Walkman, Dat Walkman, Slee Solo, Sennheiser HD650 + Equinox, Lambda Sig. Pro., SRM-T1, Sr001

I'm Stewart.

I do actually - the full toolkit with all the alignment jigs and scanner puller, spring balances etc.........

Found it a while ago now and have never seen one since.
    Stewart.

I'm Howard.

FYI re vintage R2R

http://bit.ly/oPKxIM

Regards

Howard
    Well, hello.

I'm Stewart.

Most interesting read there Howard. Regarding the N4520 - I had one of these and it was only ever quarter track - was the model you had switchable in some way?
    Stewart.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast