• 5 out of 5

2 10.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Album Club: 16.08.2011: Nick Cave - Murder Ballads

I'm ILOB.

Nick has a very creative soul
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Cave
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Simon.

He also did things with PJ which had nothing to do with music, for which I'm very jealous of the man.

I'm ILOB.

Quote Originally Posted by griffo104 View Post
    He also did things with PJ which had nothing to do with music, for which I'm very jealous of the man.
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

I'm John.

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Murder Ballads.
    Original CD ripped to file.

I hadn’t heard this before. I have a copy of the The Good Son which I like but don’t seem to play so Nick Cave isn’t completely new to me if somewhat neglected.
    I managed to listen back to back twice before I felt the need to listen to something else.

Very pleasantly surprised overall and I think I’ll be playing a bit more Nick in the future.
    There aren’t that many songs with a narrative as such, a notable exception imo and relatively recent is Carolina Drama by The Raconteurs which I think is tremendous.

So, firstly, trying to match a narrative, which tend to not have a catchy chorus for singalonability and keep the listener interested, is an art largely forgotten in much modern music.
    Next, even though Nick strays away from what one might technically describe as singing at quite a few points in the album, he just about gets a way with the slightly husky shouting. Maybe we have a new genre here; Nicks Bad Seed Rap
    I really enjoyed the instrument mix in this album. I’m still trying to work out exactly what they all are.
    It is a dark album but not in any way depressing thanks to the humour that permeates the entire album. If this was Leonard Cohen I prolly wouldn’t be around to write this.

Great choice John. Thanks for coming up with something very entertaining and unusual.
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

I'm Dave.

I actually quite like Nick Cave. Just not that album. Am I the only one not afraid to say so. Baaaa Baaaa...

That album even made Bryter later sound like a celebration...
    In - Tweaked Lenco GL75, Linn Ittok, Ortofon Cadenza Black
    Through - Croft Micro 25 RS LS, power R monoblocks, RIAA R. Ortofon ST-80 SE SUT.
    Along - Tellurium Q Ultra Black cables
    Out - Harbeth SHL5 Plus XD's

Street photography

Dave

I'm ILOB.

Cheers for the link John I must check out the band a bit more.
    I totally agree what keeps the album subject matter from getting to dark is Nick humour throughout the album I am glad ypu enjoyed the album

I'm Keith.

I wasn't really looking forward to this as I'd tried to get into Nick Cave before and hadn't really enjoyed anything I'd heard of his - either with the Bad Seeds or as Grinderman. However, I'm glad to say I very much enjoyed this relentless flow of murder, violence, rape and buggery.

The album's opener - the somewhat ironically-titled 'Song of Joy' sets the scene for the album as Cave tells the macabre tale of the cold-blooded murder of his wife and three infant children. His dead-pan, half-spoken/half-sung delivery and the varied instrumentation draw you into the song leaving you with the feeling that the narrator isn't quite telling the full truth.

The second track 'Stagger Lee' is one of the highlights of the album for me. A gloriously sweary re-telling of the traditional 'Stack 'O Lee' blues that makes for an uncomfortable yet compelling listen.

A couple of duets, the first with Cave's ex PJ Harvey, the second with Kylie Minogue make a welcome change from Cave's monotone, however the body count continues unabated and it is almost with relief that the final track, a cover of Bob Dylan's 'Death Is Not the End' (the only song on the album where no-one actually dies) brings things to a conclusion.

A fascinating and compelling album that should be on everyone's 'must hear' list.
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by Welder View Post
    There aren’t that many songs with a narrative as such, a notable exception imo and relatively recent is Carolina Drama by The Raconteurs which I think is tremendous.
    Superb track John...

Probably the standout one from the album, which is very good too IMHO
    Cheers, Will

I'm Paul.

Good choice John, and from my sig it would appear that i think he's cool. I admire him, and a lot of what he's done, a deeply emotional writer and man, accomplished musician, not ever afraid to do something many wouldn't, and do it beautifully.. Cave always for me has something whatever mood i'm in, from pretty accessible albums like this and Nocturama, to Let Love In and Lyre of Orpheus, through to the Grinderman sets, and then onto film scores, the proposition and White Lunar, which is sublime. Bump in to him from time to time too, first time was looking at cheap cd's in Woolworth's in Lewes!

If there was another human i would choose to sit on top of a crumbling cliff with, it may well be Cave..
    Z:Axis Audio
    British made Cabling and High End Audio Support Systems and the New 'Symetrica' balanced Power Supply.

UK Distributor for Concert Fidelity Inc Japan & Aidas Audio Phono Cartridges
    UK supplier for: Z:Axis Audio; Concert Fidelity

Personal System:
    Mains - Symetrica by Z:Axis Audio - A game changer!
    CD Transport - Ayon CD-T2
    DAC - Ayon Stratos Refrence
    TT - Sony TTS 8000 /SAEC WE 506/30 / Aidas MC Cartridges
    Phonostage - RCM Audio Theriaa & Sensor2
    Pre - Concert Fidelity 080LSX2 & CLS050 Hybrid valve/SS ultra short signal path technology.
    Power - Concert Fidelity ZL-200 Mono's.
    Loudspeakers - Franco Serblin Ktema.
    Support System - Z:Axis Audio Grand Mirage 98.8
    Cabling - All our own; Z:Axis B52 Reference, Infinity Reference Digital, Livewire Loudspeaker & Xer0 Power Cabling.

Demonstration sessions welcome by appointment.

I'm notAlone.

Excellent album.

4 stars - no hesitation !
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast