+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Numptie electrical mains wiring advice please.

I'm Confused.

Default Numptie electrical mains wiring advice please.

Hi Guys,
    Simple electrical question but as I'm talking about themains current I thought I'd better ask - better red than dead, as they say .
    I have been rearranging my set up this afternoon, swapping out my Cyrus pre and power amps and replacing them with a pair of Mini-Ts fed from the Caiman/7520 B-DAC through a valve buffer amp made for me based on the XD10 (I think ) but with two outputs to feed the two Mini-Ts - big improvement all round so it's a keeper for the moment .
    Anyway, to cut to the chase, I decided to shorten a very long second hand power lead but when I cut into it I found that the three cores were wrapped in something a little like cling film and that in turn was enveloped in a fine steel woven mesh and then the outer PVC sleeve. So, what should I do with the outer steel mesh? Should it be connected to the earth or left unconnected, and if it should be connected to the earth, at which end, or both. If it's a choice between best SQ or best safety, safety wins every time .
    Any help appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Dave
    DaveK.

My System:
    Power: Belkin PF40, Custom.hifi.cables Hydra and DC PSUs.
    Sources: Self built HTPC with Xonar ST sound card, NAD T585 multi disc player, Sony BDP-S350, Squeezebox Touch, Techncs SL1210 (mod'd) + Nagaoka MP30, Thomson Sky HD box.
    Amps etc.: 2 x Mini-T amps, MF-X10D Valve buffer clone, StanDAC 7520/Caiman (mod'd).
    Speakers: Mission 774s with added super tweeters
    Cables: best I can afford and likely to change except Homar's RF attenuated co-ax's and Mark Grant USB and HDMI cables. I also like silver i/cs and speaker cable.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Piccies ?
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Probably connected to earth in the plug. Make sure it's insulated though, so it can't short to the live connection!

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Sounds similar to Mark Grant DSP2.5. You need to connect the screen (outer braid) to Earth at the mains plug only, nowhere else
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Ali/Mark

I concur with you both - just wanted a visual to confirm my suspicions.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Ali/Mark

I concur with you both - just wanted a visual to confirm my suspicions.
    That's entirely fair Chris. I should add that the screen definately needs to be insulated where it enters the plug (just as Ali says) so there is no possibility of a short.

You might find that there is a drain wire which contacts the earth screen, this is thin enough to put heatshrink over! Use that, heat shrink it & connect that to the earth in the plug
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Confused.

Default Thanks!

Thanks to all - you have confimed what I suspected but the reminders to insulate the screen to keep it away from the live in the plug was timely. If I suddenly stop posting you'll know I made a mess of it .

Cheers,
    Dave,
    Last edited by DaveK; 14-08-2011 at 21:00.
    DaveK.

My System:
    Sources: Self built HTPC with Xonar ST sound card, NAD T585 multi disc player, Sony BDP-S350, Squeezebox Touch, Techncs SL1210 (mod'd) + Nagaoka MP30, Thomson Sky HD box.
    Amps etc.: 2 x Mini-T amps, MF-X10D Valve buffer clone, StanDAC 7520/Caiman (mod'd).
    Cables: best I can afford and likely to change except Homar's RF attenuated co-ax's and Mark Grant USB and HDMI cables. I also like silver i/cs and speaker cable.

I'm David.

There is something quite unmistakably 'Dave' about this -
    Numptie electrical mains wiring advice please.
    Good to have you back here buddy!
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm Confused.

Default Thanks ???

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    There is something quite unmistakably 'Dave' about this -
    Good to have you back here buddy!
    Thanks for that Hamish - I think .
    Cheers,
    Dave.
    DaveK.

My System:

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

To echo Marks suggestion, check to see if it's been made easy for you regarding a drain wire...

Granny sucking eggs here, but mains is DANGEROUS and fancy mains leads, while having suspect benefits in many cases, ought to be treated with extreme care I think. You know, if it all looks too much, have a word with Mark Grant, who makes a genuinely excellent screened heavy-duty mains cable and doesn't sell it for silly money either - IMO...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast