+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: pure sound 2a3

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Nick could build supplies far better than the border patrols for a lot less cash.
    I don't doubt that at all would they be choke input filter like the BP's or does Nick have other ideas .
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Probably choke input but you'd have to ask him. If he did use something else it would only be because it sounded better.

I'm Nick.

Well, yep, choke input is just a case of the right transformer, the right rectifier and the right choke. Its possible to do what BP do for a bit less cash, but the iron doesn't come cheap, and buying them in one off's pushes the price up. I am getting the chokes in the MCRU power supply is boxes of 10 at a time, but that doesn't work for one off's.

As, Ali knows I am also a fan of the effect of regulated supples for this sort of amp. Preferably with a choke input supply before them. An 6080 + ECC83 makes a good regulator for a 300b or pair of 2a3's.

As it happens I am just in the process of testing a choke input valve regulated supply for a phono stage I am building. It will use choke input for both the B+ and heater supply and is using a B+ regulator built around a 6EM7.
    Nick.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

As, Ali knows I am also a fan of the effect of regulated supples for this sort of amp. Preferably with a choke input supply before them. An 6080 + ECC83 makes a good regulator for a 300b or pair of 2a3's.

Yes indeed, I have heard what a difference regulated supplies make and the difference is not subtle!

I was lucky enough to hear the regulated 300b amp Nick built when it was singing, and it was a totally amazing amp, haven't really heard anything to touch it until he built the prototype direct coupled static amp for me, not that it was better, rather equally as good but different sound.

I'm andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    IF it's not too late AND you know/heard of/trust the ol' Audio Innovations line, Heatherdale also lists the same 2A3 valve-based 2nd Audio amps that retailed at 3000 GBP a pair in the '80s, now at 1495, the same price as the Pure Sound affair, though I am confident, with a more serious and a true high-end sound than the PS, and the pair have just been serviced at Audio Note... I definitely would much rather go for these - hm? also, if you have line level sources only a passive control box w/ a pot and input switch would do from a laugh and then you'd have one of the best-sounding kint recently avaliable - I believe the sonics of the 2nd Audio is in the present-day league of valve amps of 5K (new retail price)

Thanks for pointing that out, but i'm pushed for space, so i can only squeeze in an integrated.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by lewis View Post
    Thanks for pointing that out, but i'm pushed for space, so i can only squeeze in an integrated.
    I'm sure you will love it , and for me 1 box instead of the 4 i used to run is a hell of a lot more practical
    Chris

Hi i heard an amplifier called Consonance which used 2a3 which seemed to put in a nice enough performance, they are nicely styled and also have a 300b version
    The speaker manafacturer Paul Klipsch -his amplification of choice was a Brook 2a3 which would probably be similar to the Pure Sound being discussed

I'm Chris.

Thought I'd resurrect this thread rather than start a new one.

A couple of weeks ago I purchased a lovely condition Puresound 2a3 amplifier from Rob of this parish.

I've been keen to get one of these amps for probably eight years or so now but for many reasons just wasn't possible.

Three years ago I managed to buy a pair of living voice avatars with the intention of partnering with this amplifier and here it is.

The set up is probably not ideal as I'm having to use the Marantz pearl lite as a pre amp, it seems to work quite well, though gain is perhaps a bit high? especially with vinyl playback, with cd there seems to be a bit more drive than going direct into the 2a3 which I think has a passive volume control.

The amp sounds wonderfully open with great depth and a natural tone to instruments and vocals, it also has plenty of grunt with superb bass control, obviously the choice of speakers must be done with care.

It sounds so good at moderate listening levels too which I expected as I previously owned audio innovations 2nd audio monos.

Solidly built at 28 kilos and superb packaging to boot, highly recommended, I love it.
    Chris

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by chris@panteg View Post
    Thought I'd resurrect this thread rather than start a new one.
    Resurrect? You've dragged it from the tomb. It died near seven years ago

Anyway. Glad you like the amp.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Resurrect? You've dragged it from the tomb. It died near seven years ago

Anyway. Glad you like the amp.
    Yes I realised almost straight away I might have made a grave error, but what the heck
    Thanks, yes I love it, tubes are back and it's getting hotter!
    Last edited by chris@panteg; 07-05-2018 at 09:08.
    Chris

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123